• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

Totally agree. Saiss, IMO, has been given a very easy ride.

Look at his pass around the 15 second mark -

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10798630/wolves-1-0-rotherham

Dave Edwards does that and he gets blasted for weeks. Saiss still has a lot to prove but is treated like the Messiah by some on here.

Xabi Alonso occasionally played balls like that. Picking out one pass doesn't mean shit, Edwards doesn't even pass the ball so it's not his to lose, that's how embarrassing he is as a footballer. If Saiss can be a championship version of Alonso I'll take his Matic like pace thanks very much. Got to play him with a quality midfielder in the Cairney mould though and not the current cloggers in Evans, Edwards and Coady that we currently have. Price is a decent squad player but is a less good version of Saiss.

Just to make it clear, I'm not writing the boy off. He's alright. I wouldn't sell him. Not sure he's everything that people think he is, that's all.

We need to move away from having our defensive midfielder(s) parked five yards in front of the centre halves, they can't do anything from there. Of course that will only come when we buy better defenders and don't have a shit full back who needs a DM AND a winger holding his hand because he can't do his fucking job.

Just to make it clear, I'm not writing the boy off. He's alright. I wouldn't sell him. Not sure he's everything that people think he is, that's all.

We need to move away from having our defensive midfielder(s) parked five yards in front of the centre halves, they can't do anything from there. Of course that will only come when we buy better defenders and don't have a $#@! full back who needs a DM AND a winger holding his hand because he can't do his $#@!ing job.

I agree with you that he needs a proper chance to show more and this is why I don't think Lambert is good enough whilst he still plays crap like Edwards, Coady and Saville. Saiss, Hause, Cav and Costa should be built around and nailed on as starters for every game and yet he doesn't do it. Rank management.

Well he's playing three of them right now. I would say Hause is now our #1 centre half. And Evans has played well in the last two games by all accounts, he's taking Saiss' place at the moment and I'd like to see him succeed as he's a good footballer (needs to nail down exactly what it is he does, but the talent is there).

You need to cut Lambo a bit of slack, he's come into a club that was on a dreadful run and for far too long has hoarded rubbish footballers. There's only so much he could do in one window, the two he did sign are playing well at the moment and look decent. We've picked up 28 points from 21 games under him which is not exactly spectacular but given what he has at his disposal - shite goalkeeper, rubbish full backs, no midfield, strikers who don't score - it isn't that bad. I can't forget February as that was terrible and a lot of it was down to him, so he doesn't get a free pass. There's enough there to work with though. 9 games to go, if we get say 15 points then that would extrapolate around a 10th placed finish over a full season. That is probably slightly better than what we actually are.

There are things he needs to work on - home form, playing against teams who let us have the ball, in game management, dropping players when they're clearly in rancid form - but he needs time. We can't keep sacking managers.

This.

He gets an easier ride by virtue of not being Dave Edwards.

Well he's playing three of them right now. I would say Hause is now our #1 centre half. And Evans has played well in the last two games by all accounts, he's taking Saiss' place at the moment and I'd like to see him succeed as he's a good footballer (needs to nail down exactly what it is he does, but the talent is there).

You need to cut Lambo a bit of slack, he's come into a club that was on a dreadful run and for far too long has hoarded rubbish footballers. There's only so much he could do in one window, the two he did sign are playing well at the moment and look decent. We've picked up 28 points from 22 games under him which is not exactly spectacular but given what he has at his disposal - $#@!e goalkeeper, rubbish full backs, no midfield, strikers who don't score - it isn't that bad. I can't forget February as that was terrible and a lot of it was down to him, so he doesn't get a free pass. There's enough there to work with though. 9 games to go, if we get say 15 points then that would extrapolate around a 10th placed finish over a full season. That is probably slightly better than what we actually are.

There are things he needs to work on - home form, playing against teams who let us have the ball, in game management, dropping players when they're clearly in rancid form - but he needs time. We can't keep sacking managers.

I would be uncomfortable with next season starting with the same backroom staff as I think it would be the same type of season as we will still be playing dross like Doherty, Batth, Saville, Coady and Edwards whom we have effectively built the squad around for 3 years.

That needs to stop at the end of this season. I think we will struggle to sell or move any of them on anywhere and I don't care if Fosun have to cancel their contracts and write them off they just need to go as we cannot progress with them here.

This.

He gets an easier ride by virtue of not being Dave Edwards.

Bollocks, the 2 aren't related at all. Edwards has been here for years and he's fucking shite. Saiss hasn't been given a chance yet.

I would be uncomfortable with next season starting with the same backroom staff as I think it would be the same type of season as we will still be playing dross like Doherty, Batth, Saville, Coady and Edwards whom we have effectively built the squad around for 3 years.

That needs to stop at the end of this season. I think we will struggle to sell or move any of them on anywhere and I don't care if Fosun have to cancel their contracts and write them off they just need to go as we cannot progress with them here.

You know I agree with you there :icon_lol: I want a total overhaul, if it means getting rid of the likes of Mountain, Daley etc then so be it. The culture of mediocrity has to end, we cannot settle for "that'll do" because it gets you nowhere. If we want to have a go, then go and buy/recruit the very best we can get. Otherwise you're bodging the job and like in any line of work, if you cut corners then you'll get found out. Of course your mate Big KT is a big factor here. I think he should go, I don't know what the club will do.

There are easily 10-12 players we own who once the season is done I'd stick in a Ken style Group Three and never pick again, tell your agents to find you a new home if you're still contracted here, you aren't going to play for us and you aren't going to be training with us beyond what we're contractually obliged to give you. We won't be that ruthless but we should be.

This is it though - if we agree that we need a new keeper, two full backs, at least one centre half, probably two central midfielders and a striker....and they're all pretty high priority to sort out...what are you expecting the manager to do right now if you believe the current team is so deficient all over the park?

Totally agree with Herr Deutsch.

I think Price is pretty poor, used to love the guy but had an epiphany this season that his ability is magnified by the appalling central midfielders around him.

Coady, Edwards, Saville all struggle to pick their heads up and make a reasonably simple ten yard pass. Price can do that but that shouldn't grant him a start because it's more indicative of the rest of the squad that we're happy Price can do the fundamentals. Like DW said When you want Price to do more than the fundamentals he's found wanting. Him and KMac had a symbiotic relationship, one couldn't tackle but had decent vision and the other had no vision but was reasonable at tackling and playing short passes. Without the other their frailties are hugely exposed.

Nice lad, bleeds Wolves but he's just not good enough.

Same here.

I'm fairly open minded about Lambert. If Fosun are unimpressed come the summer and decide to bin him I am ok with it (dependant on who they replace him with of course) but if they decide to keep him (barring a disastrous end to the campaign) I will accept it also.

Key for me is getting rid of that mediocre shitehawk Thelwell. I would also like to see Lambert or A N Other working more as a conventional manager than a head coach and bin the mediocre coaching staff who have been around too long overseeing mediocrity and bring in his own people to freshen it up.

Then there's the playing squad...

We have too few coaching staff. They appear to be pretty shit. They should all be replaced. Thelwell should be binned. Then we can gut the squad properly.

It's playing squad first for me. There are too many areas that have been left in a diabolical state for too long and that has to be the priority. How many squads do you know where the most credible left back option is a shit, fat, lazy right back who can't defend? And that's not a short term issue, he's been there for 15 months, unchallenged. How many teams maintain a #1 keeper who has been personally responsible for 15-20 goals through dreadful errors in less than two seasons, and his "competition" is an old bloke who kicks like a 3 year old? For two years we've routinely fielded teams where none of the centre halves and none of the central midfielders can play a ten yard pass reliably.

You can flit around the edges all you like but we just need better players more than anything. We have an alarming amount of total crap.

I think you have to look at the recruitment reason. While thelwell is here that dross will be seen as perfectly adequate. New eyes are needed to spot that Doherty is fucking rancid. God knows why, but that seems to be the way of it.

I think you have to look at the recruitment reason. While thelwell is here that dross will be seen as perfectly adequate. New eyes are needed to spot that Doherty is fucking rancid. God knows why, but that seems to be the way of it.

Quite. Someone, presumably Thelwell, is responsible for tying the fuckers to new long term deals for no reason instead of making them play for their futures.

Too easy and mediocrity reigns

It's playing squad first for me. There are too many areas that have been left in a diabolical state for too long and that has to be the priority. How many squads do you know where the most credible left back option is a shit, fat, lazy right back who can't defend? And that's not a short term issue, he's been there for 15 months, unchallenged. How many teams maintain a #1 keeper who has been personally responsible for 15-20 goals through dreadful errors in less than two seasons, and his "competition" is an old bloke who kicks like a 3 year old? For two years we've routinely fielded teams where none of the centre halves and none of the central midfielders can play a ten yard pass reliably.

You can flit around the edges all you like but we just need better players more than anything. We have an alarming amount of total crap.

True - if your toilet breaks and there's shit all over the bathroom floor, you need to mop up the shit before you fix the pipe.

But both are important jobs.

True - if your toilet breaks and there's $#@! all over the bathroom floor, you need to mop up the $#@! before you fix the pipe.

But both are important jobs.

You have to have somewhere to put the shit, and then you need to pick the right man to fix your pipe or exactly the same thing will happen again.

You have to have somewhere to put the shit, and then you need to pick the right man to fix your pipe or exactly the same thing will happen again.

I've got a neighbour I don't like and I hope Fosun are good plumbers.

If the pipe is still spraying shit into your bathroom, you should probably fix that first.

I'm not sure how this works as an analogy I just wanna join in.

Back