• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Never understood this 'reserving judgement' angle. Like the forum should only be open during the close season.
Reserve judgement when comparing seasons, no one is advocating judgement shouldn’t be passed on a game by game basis. Comparing 8 games from this season against 38 from last season is a bit uneven.

Just to put into context we have lost to three teams that we didnt lose to at all last season. Our record against those teams was 4-2-0

Anyone telling me that we are as good as last season is pissing on my head and telling me its raining. I am really concerned about our creativity, our speed of movement and our goalscoring.
You did this last time and we started the season far worse. You don’t just beat and lose to the same exact teams every season do you?

With regards to your latter point I totally agree!

Reserve judgement when comparing seasons, no one is advocating judgement shouldn’t be passed on a game by game basis. Comparing 8 games from this season against 38 from last season is a bit uneven.
I've just heard it a few times (in relation to the transfer window too) and it seems to be more about suppressing complaints than anything else.

Saying we're not playing as well as last season isn't the same as a straight season to season comparison? I think it's obvious Cyber wasn't saying that.
In fact, his final sentence was very specific about his areas of concern

We were terrible with the ball in the first half but second penalty aside, defended well. Then I thought we were quite good in the second half.

It's a shocking, shocking decision that has done for us. Truly awful and they know they've messed up. Amazed that footage of Attwell being told that once again he's a little boy playing a man's game made the air but glad that it did. He's simply a dreadful judge of anything, always has been, always will be.

A point would have been fair, we deserved that. Rui's had virtually nothing to do from open play. It's a tremendous save by Schmeichel, fair play to him.

Not sure why Fabio is getting stick, I thought he looked ok. Raul was honking as were Donck and Podence today.

You did this last time and we started the season far worse. You don’t just beat and lose to the same exact teams every season do you?

With regards to your latter point I totally agree!
No but to lose 3 in eight all to teams we didnt lose to last season does show a drop to me. Our first 8 games last season

Leicester A 0-0
Man U H 1-1
Burnley H 1-1
Everton A 2-3
Chelsea H 2-5
Watford H 2-0
Man City A 2-0
Southampton H 1-1

10 points 2-4-2 11 for 12 Against

But we were busy qualifiying in europe then too so had a bit of an excuse.

This season we are 4-1-3 so have three more points 3 less goals and dropped losses to 2 teams who didnt beat us in the first 8 games of last year. 4 of those games we scored twice. Only one blank.

Palace are ahead of us in the table and, although Sheff Utd have had a shocking start to the season, playing them first game was considered a challenge based on last season and our games against them
Were ahead of Man City and Man United, are we six places better than Man U?
The table means nothing yet (bad example using Man U :) )

Couldn't care less about matching results from last season, totally meaningless. I care about how many points we end up with.

Unless we're now supposed to do the double over Manchester City every season?
I do

I really do

We got dicked by West ham two months after outplaying them and we put it down to a real bad day. Fair enough. We were awful first half v City who stuffed us off the park having been unbeaten against them in the previous 3 games. Yes they are great but we looked very ordinary first half against them. Leciester were completely untroubled by us really today bar one moment of Neves thunderbastard. Otherwise Kasper didnt get his hands dirty. Last season most neutrals would agree they were lucky to get a point in each game. The theme however in all those games is the same. Slow , pedestrian, sideways and backs wards passes and starts , giving the advantage away to teams that can hurt you while not having the firepower to hurt them back. That was Palaces problem last season. We lost 1-0 to a dodgy penalty but that doesnt tell half the story. We beat Fulham 1-0 and they missed the games best chance and were largely untroubled. We dominated Newcastle but didnt get a big enough lead to stop them stealing a point. Two fast starts againt Sheffield and Palace brought two wins and a fortunate deflection did for Leeds. Vardy has more goals this season than our entire team

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this nagging feeling that Nuno has reached his ceiling with us, we can't hope to progress unless we approach these games in the right way. I don't mean attacking, I mean having the confidence to play our own way and at least keep possession of the ball.

First half was shocking, again and it's becoming such a regular, routine thing for us to look lethargic and leggy in the first half - this has to stop. We invite pressure onto ourselves and don't give the opposition anything to think about.

We don't create enough chances to give ourselves opportunities to win games, even in games where we dominate the ball we don't create much and against better teams it's backs to the wall until they tire.

I think that's why Jota and now Jimenez sometimes look so frustrated and selfish with the ball. We create so little that they don't know the next time they'll get a decent opportunity.

We never really do ourselves justice with the players we have and are rightly picking up a reputation for being boring and negative.

I do

I really do

We got dicked by West ham two months after outplaying them and we put it down to a real bad day. Fair enough. We were awful first half v City who stuffed us off the park having been unbeaten against them in the previous 3 games. Yes they are great but we looked very ordinary first half against them. Leciester were completely untroubled by us really today bar one moment of Neves thunderbastard. Otherwise Kasper didnt get his hands dirty. Last season most neutrals would agree they were lucky to get a point in each game. The theme however in all those games is the same. Slow , pedaterian starts , giving the advantage away to teams that can hurt you while not having the firepower to hurt them back. That was Palaces problem last season.
We're not as good as you think we are, you habitually set us up as if we're a top three team and then act puzzled when we show that we aren't.

We're not as good as you think we are, you habitually set us up as if we're a top three team and then act puzzled when we show that we aren't.
We're not as good as you think we are, you habitually set us up as if we're a top ten team and then act puzzled when we show that we aren't.

FIFY.

Were ahead of Man City and Man United, are we six places better than Man U?
The table means nothing yet (bad example using Man U :) )

Man U and City both have a game in hand on us.

I agree the table isn't everything at this stage, my point was playing confident, attacking football can't be dismissed as only working against 'poor' teams, especially when one of them is ahead of us

DW

You have already conceded it was shite in your earlier posts. But your "keep the faith" mantra and rose tinted glasses is ignoring the blindingly obvious in my opinion, in that we may be evolving but that is not a positive thing so far this season and it bloody well needs to be. If you evolve into a worse team who scores less goals and creates less chances that cannot be a good thing. Our first half concessions are beyond a joke. Its becoming a bad habit and frustrating to fans,as we have shown that we get rewards when we start fast..With such a low XG the odds are stacked against us getting back into games when we fall behind and in 2020 our record when going behind is abysmal. So its important to score first and therefore important to start on the front foot surely? If you are around your own box all the time it gioves VAR and twats like Taylor , Attwell and Dean the opportunity to give decisions that are harsh and they have shown they will take the opprtunity with glee.

As I have not predicted us to finish above 7th in this league ever your top three comment is puzzling. I put us lower than you bar saying I thought we could get into europe if we had a good run, And we did.

I must also be missing something with Fabio. He has made a couple of decent runs off the ball and a couple of nice touches but colour me underwhelmed at the moment,. He cost more than Raul. We are not city. We cant pay thet much for potential when we dont have adequate back up for Coady or Raul and not expect armchair keyboard cwarriors like me not to pop up and winge when a 35m player looks like a lost schoolboy.

Now on to crossing. Until the enigma that its Traore came on we could not cross a road. RAN and Semedo and Neto all tried and they were awful and they were also trying to pick out one player in the box.

Good side or not , Leicester didnt have too much trouble keeping us at arms length today and thats a worry.

I know what you mean in terms of those expectations, but looking at the rest of the league (the likes of Southampton, Everton and Leicester as well as your regular top 6), I'd say that getting in the top ten could be a challenge this season, let alone top 6, based on how tentative and unsure we've looked going forward most of the season so far.

We haven't let that disrupt our points haul too much so far, but going into the run of games we've got starting today, we may come out of it much poorer if we don't get it together

Back