• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Premier Quality

Reaction score
So much wrong with that today. No real urgency, everything was slow again. Our passing was sideways or backwards so they always had time to get back into their defensive block.

pod and Neto couldn’t get into the game, they looked like kids playing against adults - Pod is 24 now though, he needs to work out how to play against physical defenders like these.

semedo was ok, but his throw ins are awful, most of them end up with us not having possession, must do better with that basic skill.

Ait Nouri is a fantastic talent, but his inexperience showed today, gave away a definate penalty, crossing was almost hilariously bad and he didn’t do much going forwards at all

Donk isn’t the player for this kind of game, he’s excellent defensively and gives us energy, but has no creativity at all, and his finishing is poor, as shown by the second half effort that he should have done much much better with.

Raul wasn’t really in it. I always think he’s a better player with others around him, but we didn’t get anyone near him and he couldn’t do anything to get others into the game.

marcal didn’t do anything wrong - but is he the sub at 1-0 down with 20 mins to go? Seemed a waste of a sub to me.

overall we didn’t really deserve anything from the game, so no real complaints, although Leicester didn’t really offer much either - and the penalty they scored from was ridiculous, the balls blasted at him from two yards, I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do.

overall, it’s a disapointing defeat - Nuno needs to work out how we play against teams who play deep,,because we are terrible at breaking them down. I figured that’s what the evolution signings were all about, but it’s nowhere near yet, but.hopefully it will improve as Nuno works worth them.

Last edited:
Both teams largely cancelled each other out.

We probably played well enough in the second half to snatch something, but we need a lot more creativity and guile than that.

Both teams largely cancelled each other out.

We probably played well enough in the second half to snatch something, but we need a lot more creativity and guile than that.
Spot on.

Pretty disappointing. We had 9 days to prepare, they had 2 games in that time, and they looked the better prepared team. 1st half was a tactical abomination. Again. Why we don't even attempt to get on the front foot in games I just don't understand. We sacrifice an entire half of footballing opportunity in most games. It's pretty frustrating to watch, and I am getting a bit fed up of Nuno's negative approach to games. We aren't an enjoyable watch.

Poor first half, OK second half.

Defensively fine, even when Leicester were on top at the start, they created nothing. No real concerns from a defensive point other than Ait-Nouri getting a bit overwhelmed at times.

They nullified our switch of play with their wing backs getting quite tight to ours, as well as dominating the middle of the pitch numbers wise with the four in midfield to stop us playing through. Obviously 0-0 is very different and means they can't just sit off us the whole game but that was what we came up against and didn't really have enough of an answer.

Dendoncker's chance was a very good one but terrible effort by him sadly, and but for a fantastic last ditch challenge by Fofana, Neto is probably putting the ball into the empty net from Semedo's cross. But we are still some way off consistently creating chances, which is what we need to start doing going forwards. Something that might suit us going into a tougher run of games might be that we have a bit more space to attack into.

Leicester were the better team today but I see no reason to get worked up about the performance or result (apart from VAR/handball rule obviously).

A point wouldn't have been undeserved today. Just didn't happen.

Brush it off. Move on.

Turned it off after 15 minutes. I'm sure it'll change, but at the moment I'm done with watching football. Referees have always made errors, there's always been dodgy penalties, fouls offsides etc for and against Wolves, but I can't bear them watching tv and still making the incorrect decisions or microscopically looking for offsides any longer.

I was assured VAR would improve the game, the way it is used coupled with the amendments to the laws to 'assist' in it's implementation have killed it.

See you on the politics and other sport threads...huff.

Leicester controlled the first half but we were the better team second half. But for a Schmeichel world save we'd have probably got a point.

They had one shot on target that wasn't a penalty, a very long range diagonal shot from Vardy in the first half which Rui tipped over. Barnes should have scored on the break, but we also had Donk side foot wide and Neto drive a shot straight at Schmeichel.

There wasn't much in it ultimately but that shit penalty decision first half knocked the stuffing out of us for 30 mins. Took us a while to get get going again but we at least threatened once we did.

Traore continued his ineffective cameo appearances apart from one decent cross that was just too high for Raul. Neto was my MOTM as he was the only player who really made anything happen.

Leicester are an excellent side though. They move and pass the ball around very nicely and defend well. Fofana looks a great buy for a 19 year old, and the young lad Justin has stepped into the team nicely as well. Maddison was good for them today. Twists and turns away from every challenge in tight spaces. We kept Vardy quiet again but give him two penalties and you won't keep a clean sheet.

It's a tough run of fixtures we have now so let's hope we can continue to pick up points.

Until we find that midfield link to Raul then we will be also rans in any top six race. Raul dropping into midfield constantly speaks volumes. Sadly Dendonker, Moutinho and we know Neves arent going to force that area. I would say Vitinha but as others have said hes more of a Moutinho clone, so whose left in the squad that are attacking midfielders that can possible step up, Shabani, Otasowie ??????

Agree with Lycan. I think Leicester edged the play, particularly in the first half. Not much created by either side but they got the penalty, there wasn't the same impetus to create for Leicester. Fofana played well, top signing.

Disappointed with the subs though. Marcal for Ait-Nouri, not sure what we needed at that point. Would much rather have kept Neto on than Silva, he doesn't look at all ready to play at this level and wasn't the right match for him, with us chasing the game.

International break now, ugh. Just want it to be the next game.

Very passive and predictable performance and penalty aside we didn’t do enough. Having said that Leicester were limited to minimal chances to. Problem first half especially if you’re going to rely on counter attacks your ball retention needs to be much better. So many wrong decisions in key areas to.
if you’re averaging only a goal a game you’ll never trouble the top 6 at this level.

Leicester controlled the first half but we were the better team second half. But for a Schmeichel world save we'd have probably got a point.

They had one shot on target that wasn't a penalty, a very long range diagonal shot from Vardy in the first half which Rui tipped over. Barnes should have scored on the break, but we also had Donk side foot wide and Neto drive a shot straight at Schmeichel.

There wasn't much in it ultimately but that shit penalty decision first half knocked the stuffing out of us for 30 mins. Took us a while to get get going again but we at least threatened once we did.

Traore continued his ineffective cameo appearances apart from one decent cross that was just too high for Raul. Neto was my MOTM as he was the only player who really made anything happen.

Leicester are an excellent side though. They move and pass the ball around very nicely and defend well. Fofana looks a great buy for a 19 year old, and the young lad Justin has stepped into the team nicely as well. Maddison was good for them today. Twists and turns away from every challenge in tight spaces. We kept Vardy quiet again but give him two penalties and you won't keep a clean sheet.

It's a tough run of fixtures we have now so let's hope we can continue to pick up points.
Traore played well when he came on & there was then more space for others which they failed to utilise. He needs to start.

I’m pretty disappointed with that performance today. I think Leicester are a good team, but we made it so easy for them by conceding the first half. How many times have people on this forum said we need to play with more pace, more ambition?

With the odd occasional game apart, we’re really are dull this season. Seems churlish to pick out individual players but I thought Jimenez was poor, Neves’ lack of pace was horribly shown up for the yellow card. Ditto Semedo when the Leicester LWB just ran away from him. RAN I’m going to give a free pass to because it was his 2nd game.

We just have to take the bloody handbrake off in the first half. A goal counts one. It doesn’t matter when you score it. And one of the ways to score is to get men in the box, Nuno.

Another worry for me today was that so many of our players lost the physical battles with the Leicester players. The seemed bigger, stronger and fitter at times.

Traore played well when he came on & there was then more space for others which they failed to utilise. He needs to start.
Don’t see the point in playing him and Semedo though. Just kills Semedo with Traore there.

The run down the wing and Sling it in has become too easy to defend against. Shove him on the left and allow us to cause problems in multiple areas.

I thought Podence looked poor today, Traore had more affect on the game in the time he was on than the hour Podence had.

Agree with TT on the VAR, it's pointless watching this - it's been artificially created to have more talking points for people who love to listen to Carra, Keano, Nev or whatever they call them.

so tired of our walking football, with 2-3 touches before releasing a slow pass to the next one...hell, even I can play like that

Until we find that midfield link to Raul then we will be also rans in any top six race. Raul dropping into midfield constantly speaks volumes. Sadly Dendonker, Moutinho and we know Neves arent going to force that area. I would say Vitinha but as others have said hes more of a Moutinho clone, so whose left in the squad that are attacking midfielders that can possible step up, Shabani, Otasowie ??????

Neves and Donck are where they're supposed to be. It's the two inside forwards playing on top of the wing backs toes with chalk on their boots that is creating the problem.

If they play inside the width of the penalty area and cut off the passing into the defensive midfield we are a completely different proposition.

I have no idea who's idea it is but it's a terrible one which isn't working and should be binned.

That's the link between midfield and attack.

Traore isn't the answer to any question unless it's who's the most ineffectual forward at Wolves. He was ok at best but created less than Podence today.

We must play with a higher tempo and get Raul linking with the other people on his team better because he was a great streaming pile today and seems a fish out of water in this tactical mess.

Really poor performance. Deserved nothing against a team who've done nothing.

This pattern of being poor in the first half (Palace aside) needs to stop. It keeps happening so that approach must be by design. Cant just keep playing for a 0-0 at half time and try to win a game in 45.

Too many players miles below the standard they set against Palace

Back