• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Sheff Utd: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

An "attritional" performance at best. Worse than Brentford really, but we managed to nick a goal and then basically tried to hang on and hope they couldn't score. Risky and not good to watch but I'll ultimately take any sort of win against a team like this at home.

We missed Cunha's ability to break lines centrally, and they defended against Hwang well to give them some credit. Hard to pick a MOTM but I'll give it to Ait-Nouri for his first half performance and assist.

One to forget, take the 3 points and move on. Up to 8th 🤩

Last edited:
Enjoyed the first half, least said about the second the better.

Rise and grind yet again! Made extremely hard work of it in the end, but 3 points and a welcome clean sheet.

38 points! I’m getting a nosebleed. 😶‍🌫️

Poor performance. We still had the moment of quality that they didn’t, and I’ll be interested to know what it felt like in the stadium as they still didn’t create anything and I’m sure that was apparent in the ground too.

We are 8th, and 38 from 26 is very very impressive. Though today was poor we are generally trending upwards to get closer to in line with our points tally which is still a good sign.

Shite game, take the win and forget it ever happened.

The 2nd half was probably the worst I've seen us play this season. No-one played well in that 45 minutes. We gave the ball away so cheaply so often, I can't recall a single decent attacking move. The 1st half was ok, and the goal was taken well from a brilliant cross. If they'd have got a draw, we couldn't complain, they huffed and puffed enough and threatened enough to deserve a point.

I mean to say they didn't create anything just isn't true. At least 2 great chances in the first half and the ball that goes across the 6 yard box that Semedo swipes at. Their lack of quality saved us today.

Appalling second half where we certainly couldn't have complained if we hadn't won the game. Decent in the first half even if we didn't make much of our opportunities and were clearly vulnerable on the the break.

Three points though and probably a game we would have lost last season. So in the immortal words of Jim Bowen "we move on"

Not a great performance, particularly 2nd half but I'll take the 3 points.

Really flat 2nd half, but I don't agree with the exaggerated posts saying they battered us, played us off the park etc. They're not very good, they didn't create that much despite us being so careless in possession. A better team would have punished our mistakes. A draw would have probably been a fair result.

We'll definitely play better than that and lose but that's why Sheff Utd are going down and we're not.

I think we could have caused them more problems in the first half, we hit them on the counter a few times and we're normally pretty lethal when we do, but as with most of our play today, we just weren't at it.

Ah well, it's a win, albeit a bit fortuitous and it was not an easy watch.

Oh yes, and kudos to them for the worst free kick routine I gave possibly ever seen. Such a dangerous position, that actually made me laugh. Was like someone pressed the cross button rather than the shoot button.

Very easy to lay into the team on the back of that second half but now the points are wrapped up, we can sit back and be a bit more retrospective. Sometimes you have to win when you are playing badly and we did that. A sure sign of progress in the team and mentality.

First half, we had the vast majority of possession with no real cutting edge. The goal came at the right time and settled nerves but we couldn't find a second. The Blades came in fresh from a home drubbing by Brighton so were always going to play with a defensive mindset and that probably hurt them by giving us too much respect. They had a couple of break aways where they could have punished us and who knows how we and the crowd would have reacted. Fortunately, we took the lead into half time.

Second half was simply terrible. We came out in a defensive mindset of protecting our lead. A few loose passes and some sloppy play and confidence seemed to drain out of our players as we hung on. If they had anything like a cutting edge, a draw would have been a fairer result but after that last second penalty at their place, fuck them.

Thought GON should have changed it 10 mins into the second half. He left it far too late for my liking.

Bottom line = ugly win. 8th in the table. Nuff said. We move on.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed that.

Reminded me very much of some 07/08 Championship games under Mick against the likes of Colchester and Scunthorpe. They're obviously outgunned, there's literally no-one in their team I'd want in our squad let alone first XI, we clearly have better players but it was such a grind.

Second half was really poor from 1-0 up. At least try to keep the ball now and then lads, eh. Kilman in particular was absolutely dismal in possession.

Hwang was a generous 2/10, he isn't a very good footballer is he. He can finish but so much else is lacking. If we could somehow get £20m+ for him I'd honestly take it.

Sarabia did play well and it's a nice header, RAN, Sa and Lemina did ok too. Not many others, including Neto who was in blind alley territory all afternoon.

Big chuckles at their players fighting with each other, not seen that from opponents since Mark Ward and Tom Cowan for Huddersfield in 1996. Hopefully Souza was telling that wanker Robinson that he's shit.

Take the points and we are indeed 8th. But we must do better than that.

2nd half stats. Their best chance was 0.09 xG which was blocked. They never really looked like scoring no matter how shit it looked from our perspective.

1111.JPG

Back