• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Sheff Utd: Verdict Thread

Back home in time for Gaz's interview and he's rightly disgusted with the second half.

2nd half stats. Their best chance was 0.09 xG which was blocked. They never really looked like scoring no matter how shit it looked from our perspective.
This is true, but pretty much any other PL team would have scored, including Burnley. Sheff Utd (sadly for their fans and I've never minded them as a club) are horrifically out of their depth.

I thought we were decent generally in the first half but defended poorly letting them in a couple of times.

2nd half we were really poor generally, but we defended very well, particularly Dawson who headed and blocked over and over again. For all their play 2nd half they didn't create a single clear cut chance.

Sarabia should roll it in too, that's exactly what Newcastle did when Sa was lay on his arse, and we rightly blame Sa for that. In this instance if Sarabia scores they should rightly blame their keeper for such a shit clearance.

6 more league games for these four players to avoid 10 yellows and a 2 match suspension:

Lemina - 8
Gomes - 8
Semedo - 7
Dawson - 7

No-one else is on more than 5.

Reactions: b3h
Sarabia should roll it in too, that's exactly what Newcastle did when Sa was lay on his arse, and we rightly blame Sa for that. In this instance if Sarabia scores they should rightly blame their keeper for such a shit clearance.
There was no chance of rolling it in. He was way out on the wing and they got two men back on the line very quickly.

There was no chance of rolling it in. He was way out on the wing and they got two men back on the line very quickly.
Disagree, a player of Sarabia's quality scores pretty comfortably there.

The defenders were getting back, but weren't there when Sarabia got to it.

I thought we were decent generally in the first half but defended poorly letting them in a couple of times.
First 20 we were stupidly dominant. Like how I'd expect it to go if we win on Wednesday and then play Maidstone at home. Didn't score though. Their chances are down to Dawson and Kilman turning like milk and that will never change.

Not sure it's analogous there, Sa was just being a prick. He wasn't trying to put the ball out, he was faking injury. Nearer to Beasant/Branch.

If you cant play well don't lose.

Won't be a memorable game but we grabbed that moment of quality and held onto it.

I think our biggest concern is we need a bit of a calming influence, Kilmam shanking passes and clearances causes everybody else to become nervy and it just ripples through the rest of the team, we didn't really have anybody to take the sting out of anything.

I'm not sure Hwang wanted to play, he's always capable of drifting out of games even when he scores but it felt today he's had that knock beforehand and he's just withdrawn a little bit and not trusted himself.

2nd half stats. Their best chance was 0.09 xG which was blocked. They never really looked like scoring no matter how shit it looked from our perspective.

View attachment 9748
This is the trouble with stats. Their best chance was from a long throw which we defended like 12 year olds. Pure miracle they don't score from that.

First 20 we were stupidly dominant. Like how I'd expect it to go if we win on Wednesday and then play Maidstone at home. Didn't score though. Their chances are down to Dawson and Kilman turning like milk and that will never change.

Not sure it's analogous there, Sa was just being a prick. He wasn't trying to put the ball out, he was faking injury. Nearer to Beasant/Branch.
I was more thinking of the reaction.

It could have been argued that Newcastle should have stopped play as a player was down (Sa), today Sarabia stopped because Souza had cramp (!)

But the fault if we score is with their keeper's shit clearance, as it was Sa's fault Newcastle scored, not a lack of being sporting.

Anyway, it matters not.

This is the trouble with stats. Their best chance was from a long throw which we defended like 12 year olds. Pure miracle they don't score from that.
You say that, but they didn't have a player within a couple of yards of the ball when Semedo kicked air.

They didn't have a genuinely good chance in the 2nd half.

The best chance of the game for them was McAtee, and it was dreadful, a couple of good efforts from Brewster too, but they were comfortable saves.

We defended the box very well 2nd half, perfect game for Dawson.

Very, very unusual to hear a manager take some responsibility, especially when I'm not sure he's right. He can't be responsible for Semedo air kicking, Dawson passing it directly to Sousa, Kilman hoiking it directly up in the air or the numerous misplaced passes.
We’re not really about control as a team though (hence why we are quite open attacking and defensively). That’s the bit we’ve got to get a little better at for games like this one. That then invites those type of errors and creates nervousness

Back