• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Sheff Utd: Verdict Thread

To be fair, I think the crowd were reacting to the repeatedly poor play, giving the ball away, losing possession etc. We were doing it a lot. Did the moans and groans help? No. But they weren't happening when the players were not being shit. And the 2nd half they were shit a lot, even GON said so.
I agree, the inability to gain any momentum against the divisions' worse side, on your home turf, was inevitably a cause for concern. But no points are easy in this division.

I said afterwards in the pub, whether O'Neil didn't do the 'end-of-game' celebration because of the overall performance which didn't really merit it, or because he was a bit peeved with the crowds' lack of patience? I've seen it a lot worse TBH, and overall the fans remained supportive and celebrated the narrow win at the end. I think most fanbases in the premier league would demonstrate some nerves playing at home to the bottom team, given a similar situation.

To be fair, I think the crowd were reacting to the repeatedly poor play, giving the ball away, losing possession etc. We were doing it a lot. Did the moans and groans help? No. But they weren't happening when the players were not being shit. And the 2nd half they were shit a lot, even GON said so.
Yeah I understand that, it just becomes a spiral though doesn't it. A groan from poor play, and then poor play becomes more and more likely and then the groans become more and more frequent.

I agree, the inability to gain any momentum against the divisions' worse side, on your home turf, was inevitably a cause for concern. But no points are easy in this division.

I said afterwards in the pub, whether O'Neil didn't do the 'end-of-game' celebration because of the overall performance which didn't really merit it, or because he was a bit peeved with the crowds' lack of patience? I've seen it a lot worse TBH, and overall the fans remained supportive and celebrated the narrow win at the end. I think most fanbases in the premier league would demonstrate some nerves playing at home to the bottom team, given a similar situation.
GON thanked the crowd for their support in his post match interview, for what it's worth.

Wolves boss Gary O’Neil 🗣️

“First half pretty good, second half lost our way a bit.

"Really similar to the away game at Sheffield United. Lost our way, really didn't like us at all second half so lots for me to make sure we get better at today off the back of that.

"The fans were excellent, you could see even when it was tough for us against a team that were struggling in the league and you see the fans were disappointed with that, but they stuck with the players, stuck with us and managed to help us get over the line - a big part of why we managed to get it done today.

"No champagne football really, nothing to put in the best practice folder but a win in the Premier League and it moves us up to eighth, three points in the Premier League is always tough so the boys did well to put another three on the board."

On why it dropped off in the second half: "It'd be a long explanation. Loads of errors, just really bad at finding solutions. Technical errors, players letting the ball run under their foot, misplacing passes and they created an uneasy atmosphere and we struggled when they gave us time on the ball to know what to do with it.

"Lots of stuff I need to fix, a lot of that on me, I said to the players in there a lot of that stuff, creating an uneasy atmosphere in the place is partly my fault and we need to make sure we improve that and get back to work.

"United are a direct team, long-throws all the time, real big threat from corners the way the lads stood up to that was excellent, kept going even when we made mistakes, when we turned the ball over there was no disappointment, a team that was together desperate to make up for it.

"There are loads of different ways you need to win Premier League games and today we had to dig in, scrap, we were below our best and managed to get three points which is very important for us."

I think the long throws made us seem a little bit more under the cosh than we actually were yesterday.

Mainly though I think it was just frustration with how poor we were on the ball in the second half. We were so sloppy in possession and looked completely devoid of ideas at times. I've no idea where it came from really because for the first 25-30 mins we were brimming with confidence.

Round by me the frustration was the opposite to gerrit forward, it was put your foot on the ball and take control of the game and for Doyle to get higher up the pitch rather than standing on the feet of the centre halves. We were under pressure and although we didn't concede and I didn't ever think we would short of bad luck that was because of how poor they are rather than anything we did.

Round by me the frustration was the opposite to gerrit forward, it was put your foot on the ball and take control of the game and for Doyle to get higher up the pitch rather than standing on the feet of the centre halves. We were under pressure and although we didn't concede and I didn't ever think we would short of bad luck that was because of how poor they are rather than anything we did.
Their decision making and/or quality in the final third was dismal.

Hamer's (who I think is pretty decent) free kick being a good example, also they got into some good positions and crossed into the stands too.

Brewster actually looked sharp in moments though, which says more about our defenders really.

Don't think GON was disappointed by the crowd, rather frustrated by our drop in quality from first half to second, it deflated him a bit same as the rest of us.
On the crowd, our performance second half was so poor it was inevitable the fans struggled to keep up the atmosphere.

Don't think GON was disappointed by the crowd, rather frustrated by our drop in quality from first half to second, it deflated him a bit same as the rest of us.
On the crowd, our performance second half was so poor it was inevitable the fans struggled to keep up the atmosphere.

The atmosphere in the first half was a lot better than I thought it would be as well. Quite loud in the South Bank, especially after we scored.

Back