• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Sheff Utd: Verdict Thread

I’d be disappointed if he left in the summer as I think he’s got a lot of ability. He’s still young and has time to improve the weaker parts of his game.
I suppose it all depends whether GON feels he has it in him.

Saw this on the BBC website:

Pablo Sarabia's opener was Wolves' 40th goal in the Premier League this season - with today being their 26th league this is the quickest they've hit 40 goals in a top-flight campaign since 1971-72 (23rd game).

Thats quite amazing re the team’s goal scoring performance this season.

I'd read that Hugo Bueno apparently wasn't happy yesterday when Doc was brought on.

Ah was it on here? Bloody hell.

Yeah I blame the thread.

Kilman was terrible second half.
Yeah I thought he excellent first half, particularly on the ball. Whilst Dawson was running in treacle.

Then second half they were both poor on the ball, but Dawson defended the box really well in a head it and kick it sort of way.

I think Goodman was right to say Kilman is composed, he is, it's his concentration that let's him down. It was weird to see him aimlessly lump the ball a couple of times yesterday, that's rare for him.

I think that Sheffield United's No 27 yesterday, the LWB with the dreads was possibly the worst opposition player I've seen at Molineux in the Premier League. No ability whatsoever.

I think that Sheffield United's No 27 yesterday, the LWB with the dreads was possibly the worst opposition player I've seen at Molineux in the Premier League. No ability whatsoever.

He's in the conversation for sure but I'm sticking with Nikola Zigic.

Apologies if its already been discussed and I've missed it or forgotten it but the most interesting thing about yesterday's performance for me was RANs role, especially first half. He played a traditional RB/RWB a small part of the game but it seemed to me he spent most time in CM, created quite a bit of havoc for Sheffield, at one point driving forward from a centre right midfield position.
Was that new or has he been doing that more often recently and it's gone over my head?

Apologies if its already been discussed and I've missed it or forgotten it but the most interesting thing about yesterday's performance for me was RANs role, especially first half. He played a traditional RB/RWB a small part of the game but it seemed to me he spent most time in CM, created quite a bit of havoc for Sheffield, at one point driving forward from a centre right midfield position.
Was that new or has he been doing that more often recently and it's gone over my head?
He's been playing in midfield and drifting in centrally for a few games now. He just did it all the time in the first half yesterday because he wasn't needed to help defend.

Kilman was terrible second half.
Didn't think he was terrible at all, just once or twice he doubled-back to pass back rather than forward 2nd half, and there were a few understandable groans. In my opinion, such moments leave bold impressions, but overall he was solid. I felt that the defence were the least of our problems yesterday.

Didn't think he was terrible at all, just once or twice he doubled-back to pass back rather than forward 2nd half, and there were a few understandable groans. In my opinion, such moments leave bold impressions, but overall he was solid. I felt that the defence were the least of our problems yesterday.
The defence advancing with the ball was a problem, everyone of them just strolling with no urgency. The build up was so slow expecting United to break there ranks, United were happy to just sit and watch, and the amount of balls just played over the top for them to run onto was terrible. So yes for me the defence was a massive problem.

The defence advancing with the ball was a problem, everyone of them just strolling with no urgency. The build up was so slow expecting United to break there ranks, United were happy to just sit and watch, and the amount of balls just played over the top for them to run onto was terrible. So yes for me the defence was a massive problem.
Fair enough, I sort of see where you are coming from. Its all opinion, and most seem to agree with that.
I just felt yesterday most of our problems stemmed from an inability to hold the ball up front, companioned with the fact that Sheff United were overall winning the midfield battle 2nd half. McAtee was knitting things together nicely for them, and for our defence it was just a case of ping-pong.

Interesting that on the Totally Football Show they (Matt Davis Adams) were surprised at how nervous the Wolves fans were in the final 15 mins or so.

No one should ever be surprised by that.

The crowd were a joke. Gerrit forward Brigade out in full force in the NB lower.

We were winning, Sheffield United weren’t really pressing. The crowd moaning made us do stupid stuff, give it away more and then it just spiralled from there.

Wolves fans in general have always gone 'nervy' easily. I don't know whether this is more or less than other teams but it always seems so - however we have got better over the last five years and I think our ability [starting with Nuno] to see out odd goal wins more often than not has clearly helped.
I'm not sure that yesterday was particularly nervy, but do feel as though there was an expectation that we would concede and I don't think too many would have felt it unjust*. The performance is the second half was so flat that both the team and the fans were just 'waiting' for the inevitable bit of luck/bounce of the ball to finally fall their way.
*by no means do I think they were a great side robbed of a result, more so no team playing like we did could have too many complaints had we not taken three points.

The crowd were a joke. Gerrit forward Brigade out in full force in the NB lower.

We were winning, Sheffield United weren’t really pressing. The crowd moaning made us do stupid stuff, give it away more and then it just spiralled from there.
Agreed, the crowd didn't help the players at all yesterday - particularly in those closing 15 mins or so.

Moaning when it was played long and moaning when they took a touch and tried to find a man.

To be fair, I think the crowd were reacting to the repeatedly poor play, giving the ball away, losing possession etc. We were doing it a lot. Did the moans and groans help? No. But they weren't happening when the players were not being shit. And the 2nd half they were shit a lot, even GON said so.

Back