• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester (A) 22/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Sarabia could be one of those whose best only comes out after 4ish starts in a row. Like Cunha, he's obviously an intelligent player, but will need to build partnerships in the XI to be most effective, IMO.

We can't moan about Lop tinkering then after two convincing wins and clean sheets, start tinkering to fuck.

Same team for me
I agree.
If Neves has to come in it should be for Lemina.
The only other change should be Hwang for Costa if Costa not 100%

I agree.
If Neves has to come in it should be for Lemina.
The only other change should be Hwang for Costa if Costa not 100%
I'd be happy with that. Although Neves has never played with Gomes before in a two so it's more of an unknown to throw in at a time when certainty is more preferable.

You
I'd be happy with that. Although Neves has never played with Gomes before in a two so it's more of an unknown to throw in at a time when certainty is more preferable.
You'd like to think that if the possibility that Costa isn't 100% that Lop would try to practice his best option for the whole of the week so it's not quite the unknown. I know they all train together all the time so I'd like to think he has a pretty good idea as to who'll slot in nicely.

Why would we rotate Jonny in by choice when he's been mostly shite, and rotate out players like J and T Gomes and Sarabia just when they're starting to develop partnerships and show some form, to the benefit of the team?
Well that's what I'm saying, not advocating that many changes. Rather sensible squad rotation.
Anyone thinking Neves coming in for Gomes/Lemina won't happen is living in cloud cuckoo land. I'd be amazed if Costa can play 75 minutes against Leicester Saturday and Palace Tuesday.

Neither had Lemina, not sure it really matters too much as long as you have two intelligent players in there.

Well that's what I'm saying, not advocating that many changes. Rather sensible squad rotation.
Anyone thinking Neves coming in for Gomes/Lemina won't happen is living in cloud cuckoo land. I'd be amazed if Costa can play 75 minutes against Leicester Saturday and Palace Tuesday.
4411/442 back into 433 is a huge change though isn't it? Just doesn't seem to work well for us

Love when people throw out these ideas about players not having played together or needing a run of games to get an understanding. News flash guys, these are professionals who play together almost every day and have far more time on the training ground to develop these things than what we get to see on a matchday. It's a little bit different to rocking up on a Sunday morning and trying to cobble together a semi-coherent 11 out of whoever is sober enough to see more than 15 yards.

4411/442 back into 433 is a huge change though isn't it? Just doesn't seem to work well for us
I'm no tactical expert but it seemed to me on Saturday our midfield and forward players were constantly moving, changing shape rather than sticking to 442/4411

I'm no tactical expert but it seemed to me on Saturday our midfield and forward players were constantly moving, changing shape rather than sticking to 442/4411
We only changed when we went to 3 at the back. It was always 4-4-1-1.

30/32 on the quiz. Wouldn't have got one of the '96 or '06 ones if i had till tomorrow.

Love when people throw out these ideas about players not having played together or needing a run of games to get an understanding. News flash guys, these are professionals who play together almost every day and have far more time on the training ground to develop these things than what we get to see on a matchday. It's a little bit different to rocking up on a Sunday morning and trying to cobble together a semi-coherent 11 out of whoever is sober enough to see more than 15 yards.
You mean like how Gerrard and Lampard worked so well together in CM?

Leicester's biggest attacking threat always seems to be Harvey Barnes partly because he's quick. I think we'll need Semedo's pace against him.

Maddison can be a threat if given time and space, I'd play Joao Gomes to deny him either.

The only change that I'd make would be Neves for Lemina.

Leicester's biggest attacking threat always seems to be Harvey Barnes partly because he's quick. I think we'll need Semedo's pace against him.

Maddison can be a threat if given time and space, I'd play Joao Gomes to deny him either.

The only change that I'd make would be Neves for Lemina.
Barnes is currently injured and is very doubtful to make this game. Leicester fans have picked sides without him on their forum.

You mean like how Gerrard and Lampard worked so well together in CM?
No, that's not even close to what I'm getting at.

Matchday is a small part of the picture of professional sport, needing a run of games to work on something is a nonsense when these lads are putting in far more time on training pitches in between games. Saying it's a risk to play a previously unseen partnership is nonsense, they'll have played countless hours together on the training ground to know what each other's game is about, like I said they aren't meeting up once a week like amateur sport.

What that doesn't give you is infinite compatibility, some players just don't work together or suit particular styles of play, which is probably why you get so many fans obsessing over ideas that managers don't try, in many cases they'll have been tested and failed behind closed doors.

Last edited:
30/32 on the quiz. Wouldn't have got one of the '96 or '06 ones if i had till tomorrow.

What these quizzes teach me is that I don't know to spell anyone's names. I keep having to put how I think they are spelt into a different tab with "footballer" after it and then often copy and paste the actual spelling back across!

What works in training won’t always work in real action fwiw.
No, there are no guarantees, you'll never 100% be able to replicate the acid test of the matchday. Players might behave differently under the pressure of the more competitive environment or in front of the big crowd, or the opposition might be able to provide something different in response to what you could offer up with the rest of your squad during training.

However, you're very unlikely to ever try something in a match that has already been tested and failed in training, or you'll avoid doing something that's completely untested unless circumstances pretty much force you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back