• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester (A) 22/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Does Neves come back in? Would have seemed an absurd question a fortnight ago but we've not just won twice to nil without him, we've played well too and had a proper balance to the team. But arguably that's more to do with the attacking set up and Nunes' adjusted role than anything else.

FWIW I think he will play and so he should, he is our best player after all. I suspect it'll be Gomes who drops out, as unfortunate as that might be (but he's got plenty of time on his side).

Not much else to change for me, fitness permitting.

I think we're basically safe anyway but avoid defeat here and I can't see any way that Leicester overtake us.

----------------------------------Sa-----------------------

Semedo-------------Dawson--------Kilman-------Toti

Nunes--------------Lemina---------Neves--------Sarabia

-------------------------------Cunha------------------------

-------------------------------Costa-----------------------------

2022/23: L 0-4 (H)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2020/21: D 0-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2019/20: D 0-0 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2018/19: W 4-3 (H), L 0-2 (A), D 0-0 (H, LC, lost on pens)
2012/13: W 2-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2007/8: D 1-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2006/7: L 1-2 (H), W 4-1 (A)
2005/6: D 0-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2004/5: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2003/4: W 4-3 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2002/3: D 1-1 (H), L 0-1 (A), W 4-1 (H, FAC)
1995/6: L 2-3 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1994/5: W 1-0 (H, FAC)

Last edited:
Costa picked up an ankle injury at the weekend so could miss out.

If that is the case, either Hwang or Raul instead of Cunha up top please Loppy.

Im going a bit tinkery for this one
...............................Sa
Semedo....Dawson.....Kilman.....Bueno
.......Nunes.........Neves......Lemina.
........Cunha.........Hwang......Sarabia.

Then for Palace, Toti, Costa, Gomes back in.

I can understand that at the start of his reign Loppers didn't know what his best system was and who the best personnel were to use. A couple of tactical switches initially had success so maybe he got complacent into thinking that picking up points in this Division was easy or that he had a squad of players that he could use without a detriment to the results. Maybe I'm being harsh and that injury problems meant that he couldn't pick the side that he wanted but there should be no excuses now.
The last couple of weeks has proven what works for this group of players system wise and who the personnel he can use in it. Don't mess about with the formation, if Costa isn't fit then bring back Raul, don't play Cunha on his own up top and don't revert to a 3 man midfield to shoehorn Neves in alongside Gomes and Lemina.
Before this season, the only time they've beaten us at home in this century, is the only time we've won at their place. Let's hope that the stat can be repeated.

Edited due to getting the year of Leicester's relegation wrong!

Last edited:

Jonny Dawson Kilman Toti

Matheus Lemina Neves Sarabia

Cunha Costa

Subs: Bentley, Semedo, Collins, Bueno, Gomes, Mountino, Neto, Hwang, Adama

Rest Semedo so he doesn't get booked and miss the next 2? Speaking of bans, shouldn't we hear back about Podence before this game? Could be out of the XI entirely.

Before this season, the only time they've beaten us at home in this century, is the only time we've won at their place. They were relegated that year too weren't they? Let's hope that the stat can be repeated.
They went down the year after.

I went to the 0-0 at their place, Mick in one of those ultra stodgy spells you used to get under him where you wondered how we'd ever score vs Gary Megson being a Gary Megson parody. Would not watch again.

Same team as Brentford for me, could be talked into Hwang for Sarabia.

It's a difficult one, there's obvious logic to swapping Jonny for Semedo given the latter is on the edge of a two match ban. Midfield, I'm torn. On Saturday night I said I'd keep Gomes and Lemina together, but, shock of shocks, I think that statement was heat of the moment rashness. I know, from me of all people. So yeah, Neves has to come in, he's our best player.

After Palace we've got 3 tough fixtures, so I'd be minded to try Gomes next to Neves. I know we'll potentially (or at least theoretically) lose Lemina's ability going forward, but I think it's a really and defensively sound duo that will help us in those tougher games. If Costa isn't fit, I'd play Hwang or Sarabia next to Cunha - I'd like to see Neto starting now, he's had a few full halves of football since his comeback, and couple from the start for the u21s, so he can't be too far away now.

So depending on fitness, preferences for LW are Neto, then Hwang, then Sarabia; and for up front it's Costa, then Sarabia, then Hwang.

Sa
Jonny/Daws/Kilman/Toti
Nunes/Neves/Joao/Neto
Costa/Cunha

Semedo plays for me. Jonny can always play for a couple of games if necessary.

Same with Neves. Unlucky for Gomes but play your best team whenever available. That means Podence comes back in for Sarabia too, who didn't do enough to keep his place for me.

.............................. Sa

Semedo... Dawson.... Kilman.... Toti

Nunes...... Neves...... Lemina.... Podence

................. Costa...... Cunha

27 :cool:

Jks it was 19, and tbh I'm pleasantly surprised at that given my record on these things

Personally I think there's a difference between tinkering and squad rotation

Personally I think there's a difference between tinkering and squad rotation

Why would we rotate Jonny in by choice when he's been mostly shite, and rotate out players like J and T Gomes and Sarabia just when they're starting to develop partnerships and show some form, to the benefit of the team?

J Gomes for Neves is the only change for me. Very surprised to be typing this but T Gomes has made a huge difference to the team. Starts every game from now on to the end of the season unless we are on the beach.

I get why people would leave out Sarabia, superficially he doesn't do a lot that's eye catching. However he takes up a lot of very intelligent spaces and we always, always, always create more when he's on the pitch, it's not an accident.

Also wins the ball a lot high up the pitch which is how Lopetegui wants to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back