• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester (H) build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre match Arsenal, Nuno suggested there had been words with the squad and they played a back 4 for that game. I think there may be a feeling that it should be one or the other I reckon back 4.

We can't keep switching between a 4 and a 5 every game. It's good to have tactically flexibility but we have always been at our best under Nuno when we keep practicing the system and everyone knows their jobs down to the last detail. In previous seasons we were one of if not the most well drilled team in the league's switching personnel and formation on game to game basis is not recipe for us settling down and looking better as a team.

A back four is good as long as you have midfielders that offer some kind of protection to the wingbacks, how they are becoming isolated is becoming more and more apparent

A back four is good as long as you have midfielders that offer some kind of protection to the wingbacks, how they are becoming isolated is becoming more and more apparent
I agree with this which is why I'd probably park Donk in front of the back 4 and put Neves and João further up the pitch and at the expense of Pod.

Sounds like Vardy will probably be fit as well, though he may not risk him from the start.

Broken record Alert...

It’s not what we play it’s how we play it.

The 5 we are just so negative but defend in numbers.

The 4 against Arsenal we played wide open and leave 1v1s all over the pitch (Where Coady and Kilman are poor and Semedo is hit and miss, Neves and Moutinho can just be walked past).

The fact that they are so polar opposite is the problem. We went from a compact shape protecting everyone’s individual frailties to an open shape exposing everyone’s frailties.

They can’t/ don’t have to be so different. The only way we will get better at it is playing it more, watching the footage after the game and going through the issues.

Broken record Alert...

It’s not what we play it’s how we play it.

The 5 we are just so negative but defend in numbers.

The 4 against Arsenal we played wide open and leave 1v1s all over the pitch (Where Coady and Kilman are poor and Semedo is hit and miss, Neves and Moutinho can just be walked past).

The fact that they are so polar opposite is the problem. We went from a compact shape protecting everyone’s individual frailties to an open shape exposing everyone’s frailties.

They can’t/ don’t have to be so different. The only way we will get better at it is playing it more, watching the footage after the game and going through the issues.
Got to agree with the bulk of that. Particularly the latter. Pretty sure it could be almost fixed by watching back, except for the 2 players that probably need upgrading to move on a bit.

Fwiw my view is that Nuno ideally wants to play a 4 moving forwards. This season should now be about bedding that in properly even if that involves players who you don't want to be in it next in a couple of positions. Reassess if we lose 4 or 5 on the bounce but if not then stay with it and take some short term pain, where it happens. I appreciate there's a financial incentive to finish higher in the league but I'd rather finish 15th and have a strong platform for next year when our front 4 in whatever combination are probably already at the club than 11th with a hotchpotch. City would be the exception where tactically it would make sense to have an extra man to reduce space on our final1/3.

If 2 of Hoever, Semedo and Saiss are fit for Sunday then play a 4

With the empty stadiums its the best time to do it, it could be a hundred times worse with the groans and boos (especially after Albion) i think the likes of Silva/Somedo might have got the Keogh treatment too. At least its limited to social media as they evolve.

This obviously doesn't absolve some of the performances/decisions but I think at times a crowd would have done more harm and our fans have form for not deserving nice things.

Hopefully just keeping the opposition guessing.

“Problems” is the new “solutions”

He's gone backwards. You're supposed to offer solutions not problems

I don’t know what the solution to LB is but it’s definitely not Max.

Rodgers has confirmed Vardy is fit too. Bugger...

Surely having the flexibility to play a few different formations is a good thing and keeps the opposition guessing??

Surely having the flexibility to play a few different formations is a good thing and keeps the opposition guessing??
Not worked out too well this season has it?

No coincidence we have looked our best under Nuno when we have had a settled team and system.

"The opposition wont know whats hit them" TM - Dean Saunders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back