• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool 4-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

We have been beaten three times away and once at Home. Those teams sit 2nd 4th 6th and 7th. They include the last three champion teams. Liverpool Man City and Leicester. We were in this game for an hour but the players also know they are not a team that finds it easy to score two or three goals so when the second went it it was pretty much the end. Coady Boly and Semedo didnt have great games and all made errors but they will bounce back. The call for Fabio to start seems odd as he didnt show anything to claim that place when he was on for his Cameo. We knew we were a little fucked without Raul and so it proved against the champions but I wouldnt be rushing out to put a tenner on us getting relegated yet. I wouldnt put a tenner on us finishing top 8 either.4-2-3-1 is the right formation for the players we have but even then the squad lacks the quality to be top 6- thats just fact. I would rather us go and have a go at teams like Liverpool than boringly park a bus. We are a bit powederpuff in attack and we have been a bit dopey at the back at times this season too. We need a proper Raul replacement in January while Fabio finds his feet as he is not the answer at present and probably wont be for quite a while on the evidence we have seen. We will have enough to stay up but the better teams will undo us, especially away. I keep saying this was a free swing as will be games against Chelsea and Spurs and probably Everton and Southampton away. Go and beat Villa at home and this memory is soon banished.

Everton and Southampton free swings?
Really?
away yes. Both are better than us at the moment. We have won five games all against teams below us currently. No doubt we will have our blip against a real dross team or relegation fodder ie Huddersfield , Watford- just as long as its not the shite!. We are a team looking to evolve and had a strategy of running the team around Coady and Raul and that needs a rethink after his injury. Its not something we didnt know. we just need to be open to the idea that we are not scoring enough goals with Raul let alone without him and we are conceding similar goals to decent teams. Its not a moan, its just reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren’t better than us.
Arsenal , Burnley WBA and Sheff United have scored fewer goals than us. We have a negative goal difference. Our top scorer is out until whenever and we do not have a proper back up. I think they are better than us at the moment. With Raul , no. Without him yes. 9 of our last 10 wins have come 1-0 and we havent come from behind to win since Spurs last March. Its not whinging but its where we are at the moment. It is how Nuno deals with the difficulties he obviously has i n that area that will define our season without Raul as we have to plan without him, realistically. It is clear that Nuno is not backing Silva straight away as he did not start him against Liverpool. I do not know his reasoning but would not question it. We have needed a Raul back up for 2 years and still dont have one. Cutrone didnt cut it and Silva isnt it yet. For me its a season of lets get to 40 points asap please.

Despite last nights thumping, I don't agree Southamton and Everton are better than us, especially on current form. Everton in particular bottom half over the last 5-6 games. Obviously we are all a bit raw atm but in the cold light of day, I'm not surprised we lost to Liverpool, man for man they are better than us except maybe at the back and we couldn't exploit that which was the most disappointing thing for me.
While Silva wasn't brilliant last night, its harsh to judge him on last night. He came on when we were all over the place and it was damage limitation..
It seems to me our best formation to win games is 4-2-3-1 and we have no choice but to play Silva ( think we have to go 3-4-3 against Chelsea and Spurs)
Only positives last night were Marcal who was mostly very good and a lively cameo from Vitihna.
Think we will see Liverpool walk away with the league now with also City ramping it up.....although Spurs look great atm.

Well, clearly wolves were not at the races last night and Liverpool were, BUT, how much of that is down to Liverpool supporters actually being in the ground for the first time? From what I am reading Klopp and the team had butterflies as they walked out on the pitch and clearly had a huge batch of inspiration from hearing YNWA sung live as they played, just a thought.

Think Liverpool’s weak defence was a bit over stated. Robertson is good, Matip is decent but always injured, Fabinho is a very good player. Williams is probably better defensively than TAA. The GK looked more than capable to and the fact they picked him over Adrian supports that.

One of the biggest myths in football the 40 point mark, when was the last the 18th placed team got 39 points? How often has it been required since it’s been a 20 team league.

Poor day at the office.

We were in the game for about an hour, a very uncharacteristic (especially of late) mistake cost us, can't really give the champions those kind of advantages.

Bit worrying how we seemed to give up.

Obviously with Raul out we've got to find other ways to play add this to the current switches I think it was perhaps a little too much change too soon. If we take one thing away from the game its I hope we don't ever got 433 with that false 9 and no centre forward again.

While everyone as lording the success of the back 4 the past two games I do still think it should only be an option not an automatic go to.

Was always going to be a transitional season for me, so fans needed to adjust expectation anyway but take out your main centre forward and they certainly do!

Think Liverpool’s weak defence was a bit over stated. Robertson is good, Matip is decent but always injured, Fabinho is a very good player. Williams is probably better defensively than TAA. The GK looked more than capable to and the fact they picked him over Adrian supports that.
Their defence is weaker (than normal) but it is still better than the most

While everyone as lording the success of the back 4 the past two games I do still think it should only be an option not an automatic go to.

Was always going to be a transitional season for me, so fans needed to adjust expectation anyway but take out your main centre forward and they certainly do!
I think with a back three if someone has an off day you can cope most of the time, with a back four it becomes a big problem

As fans we know there are games where we’d be delighted with a point. I’m sure in private the management and team feel the same. In these games 5 at the back makes sense. Last night we’d probably have lost but we might have stayed in the game and been able to nick something. With 5 at the back we generally look solid and with Neto and Traore still offer a threat going forwards. Save the 4 at the back for games where the opposition have less up front and are more likely to sit back. Over time hopefully we’ll. get better with a back 4 and be able to play it more frequently.

I'm not convinced about a 4 with the personnel we have - the issue to me is how we get an extra body through the midfield with a 3/5 - does Coady need to sit so deep in a 3 - could it be a 'crooked' 3 with Coady a few yards forwards, pushing all the central spine forward, and increasing the threat through the centre to supplement the danger down the flanks?

A few people on social media were saying get Cutrone back to cover for Raul, a few more were agreeing due to him banging goals in for fun in Italy( must be a different Cutrone)

Its a dilemma for me. We look creatively crap but defensively solid by and large at 3-4-3 . We look more threatening and get more men in and around the box with 4 at the back but are more vulnerable to concede. I think those that say 3-4-3- against the big boys and 4-2-3-1 against the rest seem to have the right idea. We have only played 11 games so should get at least 30 points from our remaining fixtures, even without Raul.

A few people on social media were saying get Cutrone back to cover for Raul, a few more were agreeing due to him banging goals in for fun in Italy( must be a different Cutrone)
He wasnt the answer then and wont be the answer now. For those who watch the u23s what is Shabani doing for them? I fear he may be another Vinny though.

3-4-3 only works with a strong CF. 3-5-2 could work for us with Silva, Pod/ Neto/ Vitinha but then you leave out Traore as he can't play in that system.

Nuno is still learning which combinations work, for sure the three up top did not work last night and a 3 man midfield does not work for Donk at all.

Could you see on the tv who would have taken the penalty?

Back