• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool 4-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

3-4-3 only works with a strong CF. 3-5-2 could work for us with Silva, Pod/ Neto/ Vitinha but then you leave out Traore as he can't play in that system.

Nuno is still learning which combinations work, for sure the three up top did not work last night and a 3 man midfield does not work for Donk at all.
agree with all this, but would like us to persevere with the 4-2-3-1 (not against Chelsea or Spurs though) as I think this suit our personnel, Semedo and RAN need some work defensively. This of course means playing Silva until either Raul is fit or unless we can bring someone in in January.

3-5-2 could work for us with Silva, Pod/ Neto/ Vitinha but then you leave out Traore as he can't play in that system.

Nuno is still learning which combinations work, for sure the three up top did not work last night and a 3 man midfield does not work for Donk at all.
Totally this

Going forward, unless Nuno has another plan (which works) in mind, we need to get Silva up to speed and integrated into the first XI sooner rather than later. We don't have the luxury of spending a large chunk of transfer budget on a player and then being over-coy about playing him when the player he was bought to deputise for is out for probably a considerable amount of time.

Getting another striker in January (which I've seen suggested a few times) to leapfrog Fabio when we bought one in the summer seems an odd move

It doesnt define the season, but it does define the gulf we have to cross to be able to compete at that level. After the first goal Liverpool managed us out of the game with ease...and we have some really talented players. Our performance wasn’t bad, but it was not nearly good enough to trouble a Liverpool team that cruised through the game.

We need to do to Villa what Liverpool did to us.
Looking at the fixture's respective line-ups for this season and last, I really expected us to make a game of it. We somehow seem to have strengthened the squad and weakened the team.

Looking at the fixture's respective line-ups for this season and last, I really expected us to make a game of it. We somehow seem to have strengthened the squad and weakened the team.
"Strengthened the squad and weakened the team." As good a seven word summary as I've read anywhere.

Have we though? The first team changes are probably Jota -> Neto/Pod and Doc -> Semedo. The first had already happened last season and the latter is hardly a weakening.
The second looks pretty like for like half the time.

Have we though? The first team changes are probably Jota -> Neto/Pod and Doc -> Semedo. The first had already happened last season and the latter is hardly a weakening.
I think at their best Jota and Doc had more end product than their replacements currently do, that's what people are alluding to

I do think we made a game of it first half, we just don't look to have goals in us, whatever formation we play. Neto looks the only one who has the 'eye of the tiger' ;) in the current squad.

None of the midfield look like scoring, Semedo doesn't really play like Doc did going forward, we have no Raul, and even our set pieces are a bit faffy.

Something to work on, for sure. With four at the back we certainly create more. I'm hoping after Xmas Silva and Vitinha can prove strong options to remedy this?

Jota hardly played towards the end of last season (which I don't recall hearing/reading too many complaining about) and if a back four is what we were always heading towards then Doherty wouldn't have made the cut.

We won't get the same amount of goals and assists this season out of Neto, Traore, Podence and Semedo , as we got out of Jota and Doherty last season.

Going forward, unless Nuno has another plan (which works) in mind, we need to get Silva up to speed and integrated into the first XI sooner rather than later. We don't have the luxury of spending a large chunk of transfer budget on a player and then being over-coy about playing him when the player he was bought to deputise for is out for probably a considerable amount of time.

Getting another striker in January (which I've seen suggested a few times) to leapfrog Fabio when we bought one in the summer seems an odd move
I fear that Fabio is potential and little else at the moment. He appears to be a bit lightweight to me at times for a lone frontman and therefore will need time to improve, bed ion and make his mark. With Rauls injury its time we do not have. That was always the gamble lobbing 35m on potential without a Raul back up , sorry to revisit that point.

We won't get the same amount of goals and assists this season out of Neto, Traore, Podence and Semedo , as we got out of Jota and Doherty last season.
Jota - 7 goals and 1 assist.
Doherty - 4 goals and 3 assists.

Think Neto, Traore, Podence and Semedo will get more than 15 goal involvements in the league quite easily. Think Neto and Podence are on 10 already between them? I'm using only the league because it wouldn't really be fair to include a competition we aren't playing in this season.

Oh yeah it would have been Neves

Oh yeah it would have been Neves
still wouldnt have scored then ;) He is the only player who would swap a penalty for a 25 yard free kick! Even then he seems to have lost his shooting boots

Jota - 7 goals and 1 assist.
Doherty - 4 goals and 3 assists.

Think Neto, Traore, Podence and Semedo will get more than 15 goal involvements in the league quite easily. Think Neto and Podence are on 10 already between them? I'm using only the league because it wouldn't really be fair to include a competition we aren't playing in this season
There's also 4 of them! 5 goals and two assists isn't it so far, between the four, nearly a third of the way through the season.

we also got plenty of free kicks for Jota around the box too. I like the " we strengthened the squad but weakened the team" . Its a great summary. I thought that Podence and Neto would add up to Jota tbf in terms of goals and assists. No one is replacing Raul.

Back