• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool vs Wolves Build-up Thread

A lot of the Heysel stuff in this post is incorrect. Firstly the disaster happened an hour or so before kick off so had nothing to do with Liverpool fans being attacked "during the start of the game", secondly if there was another party to blame it was UEFA for playing the game in an unsafe stadium, not Juventus. Finally Liverpool fans were in Brussels looking for revenge that night after being battered in Rome the previous year. Of course they did not go to kill people and if the stadium had been fit for purpose there wouldn't have been any fatalities, but to claim Juventus fans were equally culpable is both incorrect and an insult.

That's what I thought too. There's a reason those fans were sent down.

I'm astonished somebody could get it so wrong.

That's what I thought too. There's a reason those fans were sent down.
I think on that element there was definitely a 'nick first and try and get it to stick later' strategy hence so many got off at trial and others continued to protest their innocence post conviction. Liverpool fans collectively were ultimately responsible for those deaths, whether all of those that did time for it were is more questionable. The charging mentality then was pretty much the norm just on this occasion the consequences were tragic.
Not even Mr Anfield Wrap tries to defend it.
https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/05/what-about-justice-for-heysel/

Heysel was literally crumbling at the time, literally fans could pick up rubble crumbling beneath their feet and launch it as a middles. Liverpool fans and UEFA incompetence caused it.
Disaster happened in zone Z left for neutral fans but largely occupied by Juve fans, meant they were at the same end as the Liverpool fans and pinned in only divide was thin fencing ana policed no mans land.

The attitude other English clubs were just as bad is just an appalling thing to say.

I really can't be arsed to debate it. Sorry. Too tired. Just google it.

You don't need to debate anything, but if you say people are speaking bollocks it's only fair you say who they are

You don't need to debate anything, but if you say people are speaking bollocks it's only fair you say who they are

Yeah you're right. Still can't be arsed. . I take it back, those who wish to spout bollocks spout away. Those who want to know the facts just google it. Those who think Liverpool fans did nothing wrong ...........

Agree with both these points

It really is.

The people of Liverpool have organized food bank drives for people in Wolverhampton, and fans of the team throw that sign on bollocks back? It's honestly pathetic.

Maybe we should change all our songs to “we’re quite good, and so are you, we respect you completely but would still like to win, please, but only if it doesn’t upset anyone”?

Not sure how the tune would go, but would apparently make a few on here happy. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm fine with chants about football.

Chants about the poverty of the city where the club comes from aren't quite the same thing.

In there Everton slums.........
5384caf81bc02655415b1db0e42fff40.jpg

Well, i have to explain. I didn't google Heysel before i posted i went on my memories from watching the match, and the build up before.

My point was to stress football supporters at the time, not get professorial about every detail about Hysel and the fatal aftermath.

My comment "before the start" for me encompassed all the time the fans were inside the ground and that was more than an hour before.
Heysel was falling to pieces and as someone else commented earlier, finding a brick or a lump of concrete to hurl at the opposition supporters required nil intelligence, which fans from both sides were fully equipped to do.

Stones, bricks , lumps of concrete were raining from the supposedly neutral zone and the liverpool zone like snow on a perfect christmas day.
It was inevitable that one side or the other would charge their opponents, that's what fans did back in the day. So Liverpool supporters did and with devastating effect.
But to accuse them of being murderers was the point that caused me to take to the mighty (ha ha ) keyboard.
In those days violence was as much part of the matchday package as the ticket to get in, and both sides supporters, even before the game in the city, made the most of the opportunity.
They were both in a neutral city, there were not really passport seizures back then and banning orders, it was a free for all.
I never intended to take blame away from Liverpool, but i believe, from what i saw live at the time, that Juve supporters also needed a quick trip to the confessional too.
Ok that's my point, keyboard warriors load your guns and fire away, but don't charge, you never know what the result will be.

Back