• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2022/2023

I tried to learn a bit of Polish to communicate with the blokes at the factory. Fucking impossible.

I tried to learn a bit of Polish to communicate with the blokes at the factory. Fucking impossible.
I had Polish neighbours for a while and learned maybe one or two phrases just for when I saw them in passing. That was still bloody hard.

Does Miazga speak Spanish? I'm assuming Barreal & Angulo do, that might be a big factor. Huge difference in being able to speak a language conversationally and being able to give/take instructions in a high pressure environment like a professional football game I'd imagine. We might see Mosquera start to flourish over here as his English improves.

Then again as we've already established Spanish people can't understand each other if they're from 2 different towns, how can one person from Colombia and one from Argentina communicate?
Argentinians and Colombians communicate in the same way as Geordies and Scousers. Of course, there are extremes but generally speaking it's not a problem at all.

Argentinians and Colombians communicate in the same way as Geordies and Scousers. Of course, there are extremes but generally speaking it's not a problem at all.
You sure? We’ve a Scottish bloke living in Spain on here, he says Spaniards can’t understand regional Spanish in Spain let alone Spanish between two countries

On my greek island dialects differ between villages 25/30 miles apart, and we have two guys here, who hardly anyone else in the village understands.
When i am in athens i am often asked where i am from, Ireland say i,
No where are you from in greece?
Clearly i have picked up the dialect from the locals, but i get by wherever.
Must admit understanding in other places apart from the big cities is a challenge.

You sure? We’ve a Scottish bloke living in Spain on here, he says Spaniards can’t understand regional Spanish in Spain let alone Spanish between two countries
For sure. I understand what you are saying about Spain and the UK as they both have long histories of language development in areas well settled for centuries. It's not quite the same case in say, Colombia, which I know very well. Yes, there are regional expressions eg 'Ave Maria' before every other sentence for Paisas from Medellin. There is also the lack of pronunciation of the letter 's' by Costeños, say on the Atlantic coast from Cartagena to Barranquilla. Overall, though it is no big issue in Latin American pronunciation and dialect and certainly doesn't have the Madrileño lisp or long historic tradition of the colonialist language. I have had no issues chatting with people from Mexico to Argentina and Chile.

Mosquera played the 2nd half of FCC's 3-1 win over Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL Championship, ~2nd tier) in the US Open Cup last night. Cincinnati now into the semifinals.

Yerson was, unfortunately, on the pitch for the Pittsburgh goal, but it was a consolation deep, deep into garbage time.

Never heard the term garbage time before in my life! Is that what Americans call injury time? :sick:

Never heard the term garbage time before in my life! Is that what Americans call injury time? :sick:
Usually the time when the score is already out of hand and the winning team is merely trying to run out the clock. So basically from about half an hour onwards in our games against Brighton and Arsenal.

As @Dire Wolf says, basically "garbage time" is a hindsight term for any action that happens after the winning score has been reached, but especially the closing moments of a game that is clearly no longer a contest.

You get this a lot in college football, where the gap in talent (not to mention depth and team size) between schools can be pretty absurd.

Tbf you almost never hear "injury time" here, it's pretty much always "stoppage time" or simply "time added on".

Thought this might interest some, especially @Alan on how FC Cincinnati are where they are and how they use Mosquera.

FC Cincinnati joined the MLS
I’m out.

Joking aside it’s a good read. The note made about how severely FCC’s possession drops off when Luchi Acosta isn’t on the pitch shows how relatively “un-modern” the game is here: old style trequartistas can still thrive in this league where I don’t think they necessarily can elsewhere.

The Garys :ROFLMAO:
We've wrapped all the way around on soccer mascots here. Like dogs so ugly they become cute again.

Here's the namesake:
wt8nse0ssxr0iuejbyev.jpg

And for completeness, here's Charlotte's mascot, Sir Minty:
il_570xN.4926531855_p805.jpg

He's literally just a football in a robe.

Yerson played the full 90' of Cincy's 1-1 draw with Vancouver last night. Vancouver goal came from a penalty, won after Yerson was caught cheating 2 yards higher than his two CB mates, opening space for a pass into the FCC penalty area. Was Miazga who ultimately committed the foul when he really didn't need to, so not entirely Mosq's fault.

Back