• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2022/2023

Couple of Oxford ST holders who work for a client were saying they’d been linked to him last week. We definitely need to cash in on players like him now - literally no point in keeping them on an endless loop of loans when we know he’ll never play for us.

I think the loans are to just try and get them to the best player possible before selling though, not necessarily for improvement of our team with many of them.

Generally doesn't work though. More often than not they end getting used in the wrong position, or they're in a poor team, or they're the sacrificial lamb when things go wrong as they're the easiest player to drop. It's a strategy that to me just kicks the can down the road more often than not.

Even when we've found good homes for them and it's worked out - as with Sanderson and Giles - we've ended up keeping them too long. Them staying out on loan in the same division doing the same thing has done nothing for anyone, just wasted a year. They both should have been sold last summer.

Generally doesn't work though. More often than not they end getting used in the wrong position, or they're in a poor team, or they're the sacrificial lamb when things go wrong as they're the easiest player to drop. It's a strategy that to me just kicks the can down the road more often than not.

Even when we've found good homes for them and it's worked out - as with Sanderson and Giles - we've ended up keeping them too long. Them staying out on loan in the same division doing the same thing has done nothing for anyone, just wasted a year. They both should have been sold last summer.
I think we also have a moral responsibility to get these lads the best possible career.

I think Matt Jackson is largely doing a good job. I agree that Giles and Sanderson should've been sold but I'm not sure the money is there at the lower levels.

Mir has turned a good profit as has MGW, I believe it's those types of deals lots of academies look for. Maybe 10% turn a profit and pay for the academy for a number of years.

We will get more money for Giles this summer than we would have last year so not sure that’s right that’s he’s been kept too long.

Agree Johnny that Jackson does a largely good job. Any Prem club (or Cat 1 academy anyway) just seems to hoard players these days so always going to have some players that go by the wayside.

i think him and Hobbs both seem quite competent actually when before it was Seyi and Sellars!

I'm not sure we will get more for Giles, the common perception a year ago was that he was an assist machine at Championship level but you'd be very reluctant to play him as a LB in the Premier League and it's doubtful whether he has enough at that level to play further forward. We're in the exact same spot, aren't we?

Hed just come off a really poor loan at Blackburn. I doubt we got any serious bids, whereas I’d be surprised if people aren’t after him this summer.

You’ve also got two teams who play with wing backs who have been promoted

Yerson got the full 90' and a clean sheet, continuing to be a real asset for MLS' best defense as Cincinnati beat Chicago 1-0.

Also, big shout outs to him for tearing into Matt Miazga at one point, who I'd bet feels like he should be the one barking things. Loved that as it means Yerson recognizes he's the better player out of the two of them (which he is).

I really, really like him.

Last edited:
Hed just come off a really poor loan at Blackburn. I doubt we got any serious bids, whereas I’d be surprised if people aren’t after him this summer.

Not sure the Blackburn bit would have mattered too much, clubs wouldn't look at it in such a narrow fashion (of course we should have just left him where he was, there was no need to mess with it).

IIRC our loan deal with FC Cincy doesn't include an option to buy (which surprised me at the time).

IIRC our loan deal with FC Cincy doesn't include an option to buy (which surprised me at the time).
We only do that when we've accepted they're very unlikely to make it here.

What we have said is that he can stay for the whole MLS season if they want him, no compulsion to send him back here for pre-season next month.

Similar for Sanderson, looked a solid bet for Championship clubs with what he was doing for Blues but tried to move him up the table and his spell at QPR was a bit of a mess. That's got to cast doubts for potential suitors, half a season looking great and half a season struggling to even get in the team, which is the true barometer? So they've both ended up back out there this season restoring reputations.

Sounds right to me.

Either way he's showing out well, albeit for a side who are genuinely making easy work of the league at the moment. But that's why I brought up the incident with Matt "Chelsea bought me once, honest" Miazga; Yerson is clearly confident in his knowledge of the game and [FCC manager] Pat Noonan's tactics. He's constantly communicating with Miazga (playing the central CB role), Álvaro Barreal (LWB), and Marco Angulo (left side #6 role), directing them with and without the ball, making sure the spaces are kept reasonably tight. It's all really, really encouraging stuff, IMO.

Taken with an MLS-sized grain of salt, of course.

Similar for Sanderson, looked a solid bet for Championship clubs with what he was doing for Blues but tried to move him up the table and his spell at QPR was a bit of a mess. That's got to cast doubts for potential suitors, half a season looking great and half a season struggling to even get in the team, which is the true barometer? So they've both ended up back out there this season restoring reputations.
Not sure that's true with Sanderson, he took a while to get in and then picked up a stupid red card, but he started pretty much every game from mid-March.

Also thinking back - we recalled Sanderson when Saiss went to AFCON. But Lage decided to go with Toti to fill in instead, then I don't think we were actually allowed to send him back to Blues once we'd done that, he had to go somewhere else (some arcane rule that I can't be bothered looking up).

Sounds right to me.

Either way he's showing out well, albeit for a side who are genuinely making easy work of the league at the moment. But that's why I brought up the incident with Matt "Chelsea bought me once, honest" Miazga; Yerson is clearly confident in his knowledge of the game and [FCC manager] Pat Noonan's tactics. He's constantly communicating with Miazga (playing the central CB role), Álvaro Barreal (LWB), and Marco Angulo (left side #6 role), directing them with and without the ball, making sure the spaces are kept reasonably tight. It's all really, really encouraging stuff, IMO.

Taken with an MLS-sized grain of salt, of course.
That's re assuring. Knowing that miagza is a mediocre Championship level CB I was wondering if mosquera would be better that him. Good to hear he is!

Does Miazga speak Spanish? I'm assuming Barreal & Angulo do, that might be a big factor. Huge difference in being able to speak a language conversationally and being able to give/take instructions in a high pressure environment like a professional football game I'd imagine. We might see Mosquera start to flourish over here as his English improves.

Then again as we've already established Spanish people can't understand each other if they're from 2 different towns, how can one person from Colombia and one from Argentina communicate?

A Colombian, Argentinian, and Ecuadorian walk into a bar…

I genuinely don’t know if Miazga speaks Spanish, but I have to assume it’s nearly an occupational requirement here. We’ve had more than a few managers in the league over the years who could talk you to death in Spanish but would have sooner died than stumbled through a tactical discussion in English.

Equally, though, I think clubs have ESL programs in place. I know for certain that Charlotte have Adi Malanda doing some pretty rigorous study.

EDIT: Sorry, realized ESL might be American jargon. "English as a Second Language".

Last edited:
Miazga is of Polish extraction on both sides of his parentage, which I didn't know until I just looked it up. Now there's a fun language. Let's not speak about it.

I still reckon Yerson was way ahead of Kilman in the queue in pre-season 2021. Boly got injured in the very first game and he stepped in. Then he got knacked in the penultimate friendly. I don't think Kilman was remotely in the thinking (as he can't run or jump) until he was literally the last man standing.

Back