• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2022/2023

From last weekend:

Ryan Giles - Middlesbrough (Championship)

Played the full game in a 1-1 draw with play-off opponents Coventry. Will be quite the experience for him when they play each other again.

Dion Sanderson - Blues (Championship)

Came back into the side for the final game and crowned his full game with a goal, a lovely volleyed finish from 12 yards.

Luke Cundle - Swansea (Championship)

Played 90 minutes at home to Sandwell and scored a fine goal. Unfortunately didn’t count for much but a goal against them lot is always valuable.

Matija Sarkic - Stoke (Championship)

Played in a 2-0 defeat at Watford and made a great save at point-blank range for a one-on-one.

Jackson Smith - Walsall (League One)

Made his full debut at home to Doncaster in a 2-1 win. Was unlucky with the goal but was lucky he didn’t spoon it into the net just before that.

Jordao - Santa Clara (Portuguese Primeira Liga)

A full game in a 3-2 win vs Gil Vicente. They’ve given themselves a fighting chance of staying up

Hayao Kawabe and Bendeguz Bolla´- Grasshoppers Zurich (Swiss Super League)

Both played 90 minutes in their 3-2 defeat at home to Servette

Yerson Mosquera - FC Cincinnati (MLS)

Helped his team keep up their 100% home record and go joint top with a full game in a 2-1 win vs DC United.

On as sub: Fabio Silva come on for the last half an hour in PSV’s 1-0 win at Rotterdam and set up the goal, as mentioned above. Campbell came on for the last half an hour of Wycombe’s 2-2 draw at Pompey. Guedes came on for the last 10 of Benfica’s 1-0 win over Braga.

Unused subs: Lonwijk, Corbeanu

Not in squad: Hoever, Perry

Seems Swansea have already been talking to us about keeping Cundle for another year and there's a reasonable chance it'll happen.

Would like to have seen him and Giles given a bit of time in pre-season. Especially the latter as we’re bound to lose one of RAN/Jonny.

I’d sooner keep Cundle and give Hodge a loan for a bit of experience.

Saw another report about loads of clubs wanting to loan Fabio and we don’t want to sell. I just don’t see what we’re getting out of it at this point if we just loan him out again. I’d like JL to have a chance to see him, Giles and Cundle at least before we send them out again.

If he goes out on loan again it has to be to Italy, Germany or Spain. Sending him to a big club in a shit league like Anderlecht or PSV where he can come off the bench and score the 5th goal in a 5-0 win against some part timers serves no purpose but to make Fábio feel good.

If it really is about his development then he should go to a lower/mid table club in a serious league, play 30+ games, work his arse off and put up some big numbers. He can sign another 1 year extension to his contract before he leaves as well so we can protect our not insignificant investment.

I reckon he'd score 15+ in the Championship. He knows where the goal is and how to make decent runs. Plus he's fairly strong for his size.

I doubt he'd go there, I'm just saying I think he's around a good enough standard now.

Saw another report about loads of clubs wanting to loan Fabio and we don’t want to sell. I just don’t see what we’re getting out of it at this point if we just loan him out again. I’d like JL to have a chance to see him, Giles and Cundle at least before we send them out again.
We have a number of players like Perry, Sanderson and Giles where we need to rip off the sticking plaster and they either become genuine squad players or we sell them. In the case of the first 2 I think the answer is clear, I still think a move to a promoted Boro works for everyone in Giles' case. Cundle is the one I'd like the manager to see in training before commiting to another loan.

I reckon he'd score 15+ in the Championship. He knows where the goal is and how to make decent runs. Plus he's fairly strong for his size.

I doubt he'd go there, I'm just saying I think he's around a good enough standard now.
I'd expect him to be much better than Championship level by this stage considering his experience, physicality, reputation and, lest we forget, the sheer amount of money that's been spent on him.

It's time for him to stop playing around and deliver in a serious competition.

If he goes out on loan again it has to be to Italy, Germany or Spain. Sending him to a big club in a shit league like Anderlecht or PSV where he can come off the bench and score the 5th goal in a 5-0 win against some part timers serves no purpose but to make Fábio feel good.

If it really is about his development then he should go to a lower/mid table club in a serious league, play 30+ games, work his arse off and put up some big numbers. He can sign another 1 year extension to his contract before he leaves as well so we can protect our not insignificant investment.
Wolverhampton Wanderers?

I'd expect him to be much better than Championship level by this stage considering his experience, physicality, reputation and, lest we forget, the sheer amount of money that's been spent on him.

It's time for him to stop playing around and deliver in a serious competition.
I don't think he is. Depending on who goes down, a season at Soton, Leeds or Leicester would be ideal for him. Get him goals and minutes on the pitch.

Could get us potential suitors for him.

I don't think his ego would allow that though and there's probably a good reason he's not at the club and that might be because he's an utter prick and toxic in the dressing room.

If we do loan him out to another team in another league it should be with a view to selling him at the end of that loan. I'm sure Mendes can sort that out.

I don't think he is. Depending on who goes down, a season at Soton, Leeds or Leicester would be ideal for him. Get him goals and minutes on the pitch.

Could get us potential suitors for him.

I don't think his ego would allow that though and there's probably a good reason he's not at the club and that might be because he's an utter prick and toxic in the dressing room.

If we do loan him out to another team in another league it should be with a view to selling him at the end of that loan. I'm sure Mendes can sort that out.
Crazy thing is that there's even room for debate around whether or not he'd be too good for the Championship. We signed him 3 years ago and we still don't know for sure.

As for being a prick, I can't speak for that personally. He does have a picture of himself tattooed onto his arm though.

He certainly hasn't applied himself as well as he could've. He was allowed to piss around on the touchline with Trincão & Hoever for a season under Lage. I'd have hoped that this season might've been the making of him but he's managed to piss off the Anderlecht fanbase with his arrogance and has spent his time at PSV pretty much the same way he spent last season with a few ill advised comments in the media sprinkled in for good measure.

Ryan Giles is looking pretty good in this play-off game for Middlesbrough. Coventry are clearly targeting him and his perceived defensive weaknesses but he’s standing up to it so far.

Great crosser of the ball and always looking to attack, too.

Think another year away for Fabio is probably the right call for his development and echo the thoughts of @Lycan that it needs to be in a decent league.

Not that I'm comparing them directly but strikers without pace generally develop later, lewandowski was still at Lech Poznan at 22, Kane was just coming off a series of lower league loans. I think the next 2 years are make or break for him.

Think another year away for Fabio is probably the right call for his development and echo the thoughts of @Lycan that it needs to be in a decent league.

Not that I'm comparing them directly but strikers without pace generally develop later, lewandowski was still at Lech Poznan at 22, Kane was just coming off a series of lower league loans. I think the next 2 years are make or break for him.
Lewandowski would've been at Blackburn instead of Lech had his plane not been cancelled because of the Icelandic ash cloud.

I think about that constantly. Damn volcano may have saved his career; god only knows what kinds of bullshit Venky's would have dragged him through.

Back