• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Luton (A) 23/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, under Lop it was a strength (at least at home), and GON will be thinking he can replicate that.
I'm not sure it was a strength, it was just that the weakness wasn't quite so exposed (most of the time).

The only time I've ever been happy with Kilman is that 3/4 month spell under Lage when he was playing RCB in a back 3, he was always unsuited for the style of football Lopetegui wanted to play. Dawson is what he is, his performances last season were massively over hyped by Wolves fans. I don't think there's been much of a drop off in his individual performances this season, we just have a greater sample size now so can judge him more accurately.

Personally there was never any stage under Lopetegui where I was 100% comfortable with Kilman/Dawson.

What I find mental is how Kilman is viewed from the outside i.e. anyone who doesn't follow Wolves. Lots of my mates think he's decent/solid, and when I moan about him, they don't get it. Even the clowns on the commentary team of TNT were giving him loads of praise at the weekend. I think Fletcher said "Kilman has developed in to a really good Premier League CH". No he hasn't.

No way GoN drops him. We just have to accept that, unfortunately.

What I find mental is how Kilman is viewed from the outside i.e. anyone who doesn't follow Wolves. Lots of my mates think he's decent/solid, and when I moan about him, they don't get it. Even the clowns on the commentary team of TNT were giving him loads of praise at the weekend. I think Fletcher said "Kilman has developed in to a really good Premier League CH". No he hasn't.

With teams in the bottom half of the Prem once there's a narrative regarding a team or particular player it's hard to shift. People outside your club talk about you enough to keep the opinion relevant but not enough to actually delve into whether that opinion stands up to reality.

I think he'll switch the cb pairing against Ipswich to Toti, S Bueno, and then we will see.

I have a couple of non-wolves mates who think the same. Also I'd say most Wolves fans outside of here think the same

I have a couple of non-wolves mates who think the same. Also I'd say most Wolves fans outside of here think the same
Loads of widely-held Wolves opinions are terrible. A lot of people quite liked Lage and the FIFA kids hate Nuno. Plenty of people were happy to welcome back Doherty. If you canvassed absolutely everyone in 2020 and asked them "Adama or Jota, you can only keep one", most would have gone with the shitty choice the club actually made.

Loads of widely-held Wolves opinions are terrible. A lot of people quite liked Lage and the FIFA kids hate Nuno. Plenty of people were happy to welcome back Doherty. If you canvassed absolutely everyone in 2020 and asked them "Adama or Jota, you can only keep one", most would have gone with the shitty choice the club actually made.
I don't think Ryan Leister has one Wolves opinion I share, had to stop following him on Twitter

And Freddy Eastwood would still be playing up front...

Some wanted Nuno sacked after the Semi final defeat, and then also the QF defeat.

Although that wasn't a mainstream view obviously.

They mentioned that right before the goal! I think they equate the prior cleansheets with the ability of the CBs, rather than realising it was also the system and setup that played a huge part.

I use this analogy all the time, but Klopp made Nat Phillips a passable stop gap, by gradually just changing the system till he was doing less and less, except for the things he was okay at (heading, blocks etc). I feel like that was what was happening before with Kilman to an extent, and now he is being exposed.

If you have plenty of people holding his hand (so you need the belt and braces of a back three with a sweeper always there to cover in behind, and loads of help from central midfield in front of him) he can look serviceable.

Like Mark Atkins did in a back three under McGhee.

As an actual centre half like most people recognise it, no.

Michael Salisbury was new for us and he was/is fucking dreadful. But we had that new guy for a game ?last year and it was the best ref we probably had.

More shite from GoN. No one forced him to play Doc at right mid. Or to bring Fabio on whilst leaving Sasa on the bench. That’s all him, he may as well own it.

I do appreciate our fitness seems poor, especially given the press game he wants us to play. Don’t see any way he starts Santi tomorrow, though.

(So pleased I clocked my phone had autocorrected Santi to Santa before posting this or we’d have been in for another afternoon of shit puns)

I don't quite get that analysis. We ran and ran for 90 minutes vs United but have seemed to have lacked fitness since. Either that was adrenalin for a one off or is it that he is working them too hard before the games?

Surely if he plans for starting Sasa and then subbing him at say half time, then it doesn't need to be an unwanted substitution?

More shite from GoN. No one forced him to play Doc at right mid. Or to bring Fabio on whilst leaving Sasa on the bench. That’s all him, he may as well own it.

I do appreciate our fitness seems poor, especially given the press game he wants us to play. Don’t see any way he starts Santi tomorrow, though.

(So pleased I clocked my phone had autocorrected Santi to Santa before posting this or we’d have been in for another afternoon of shit puns)
Don't know ho ho how you managed to spot that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back