• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Luton (A) 23/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
I'm not going (I've been to Kenilworth Road twice and that's two times too many) but for those who are, be aware that it's unreserved seating, like some League One throwback. So get in early.

I actually think we need to win, which is a bit shit after five games really.

---------------------------Bentley----------------------------

Semedo---------S Bueno-------------Toti------------Ait-Nouri

-----------Bellegarde-------Lemina-----J Gomes----------------

-------------Hwang--------Kalajdzic------Neto------------------

2012/13: L 0-1 (A, FAC)
2006/07: W 1-0 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2005/06: W 2-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
1995/96: D 0-0 (H), W 3-2 (A)
1994/95: L 2-3 (H), D 3-3 (A)

I like your team but we're not doing that.

One thing Bentley would provide, and I think this would help us massively, is a voice at the back. His talking, organising and encouraging comes across really well in the games I've seen. His starting point is also much higher allowing us to be higher up the pitch or not quite as deep [whichever way you look at it] when trying to protect two of the leagues slowest centre halfs.

Don’t Luton have a big lump of a centre forward? If I’m not mistaken it’s the kind of opponent made for Dawson.

Sa’s aerial ability will be useful in this. I’ve only got Everton to go off but Bentleys is nowhere near good enough.

Hwang-Kalajdzic - Neto is the desired front 3. Think the rest picks itself (will be Kilman and Dawson)

Don’t Luton have a big lump of a centre forward? If I’m not mistaken it’s the kind of opponent made for Dawson.
Two of them, although Morris is technically ok. I can easily see both comfortably bullying the shit out of not so "Mad Max".

Last edited:
Sa’s aerial ability will be useful in this. I’ve only got Everton to go off but Bentleys is nowhere near good enough.

Hwang-Kalajdzic - Neto is the desired front 3. Think the rest picks itself (will be Kilman and Dawson)
I wouldn't say Sa is that good off crosses! Better than when he started here (was Oakes-esque in terms of never even trying to claim them) but he spills loads.

I'm just sick of the beardy twat, he ruins far too many weekends through just being an idiot.

I wouldn't say Sa is that good off crosses! Better than when he started here (was Oakes-esque in terms of never even trying to claim them) but he spills loads.

I'm just sick of the beardy twat, he ruins far too many weekends through just being an idiot.
He claimed loads on Saturday and loads against Everton. On a scale of keepers in the league he’s up there. Yes he does bat shit stuff when he goes charging too far, but stuff lumped in the 6 yard box he’s good.

He claimed loads on Saturday and loads against Everton. On a scale of keepers in the league he’s up there. Yes he does bat shit stuff when he goes charging too far, but stuff lumped in the 6 yard box he’s good.
Didn't Liverpool get a chance (that Sá ultimately saved, granted) when Sá tried to catch a cross at about shoulder height and inexplicably spilled it toward the top of the 18?

Didn't Liverpool get a chance (that Sá ultimately saved, granted) when Sá tried to catch a cross at about shoulder height and inexplicably spilled it toward the top of the 18?
They did. He was on the stretch and dropped it.

On the flip side of the coin a player could score a header from 6 yards out with the keeper rooted to his line (Rui/Hennessey/Oakes) and everyone just shrugs their shoulders, when the keeper could have dealt with it at source

When I think of commanding keepers from balls swung into the box I think Matt Murray, Peter Schmeichel, Petr Cech. I do not think José Sa.

Basically you pick Sa in the hope he'll make some good saves at random (he can do this, he can also let in some ludicrous goals that you wouldn't have down the park). And that you trust he's better than an ancient and stiff John Ruddy, a callow and dubious quality Matija Sarkic or perennial mid-table Championship man Dan Bentley.

He's not a very good keeper. Every area of his game is poor for Premier League level.

He did but not every Keeper catches everything.

He was also really loud in communicating what he wanted from Dawson and Mute Kilman. Dawson ducked out of the way a couple of times when Sa went for the ball.

Bar the fuck up for the 2nd goal (which isn't entirely on him) and the one dropped cross I thought he had a pretty good game.

They did. He was on the stretch and dropped it.

On the flip side of the coin a player could score a header from 6 yards out with the keeper rooted to his line (Rui/Hennessey/Oakes) and everyone just shrugs their shoulders, when the keeper could have dealt with it at source
I get your point, but for me if you're going to be considered a dominant force in the penalty area, you can't really have those kinds of drops ever. Maybe once or twice in a season (no one's perfect). Sá feels good for that sort of shit once every other match.

I don't like instinctively clenching when the ball gets within 6 yards of José.

Off at a tangent, but being comfortable with the ball at your feet seems to be favoured more than something like commanding your area now. You'd have got decent odds on League 1 Sunderland reserve and eventually binned Jason Steele being a PL top half regular a few years ago. Also of the bits I've seen of Onana he may be strong with the ball at his feet, less so saving it

Onana is really not very good, how he's come upon his reputation is a bit beyond me. I guess everyone is desperate to get the next Neuer or something.

Not a patch on Carlos Kameni and even he was good for one or two "have you been paid off?" moments a season.

With a fully fit squad and everyone available (which I realise isn’t the case), I’d pick -

Bentley
Semedo Dawson S. Bueno RAN
Lemina Gomes
Cunha Bellegarde Neto
Sasa​
This is correct

Bentley isn’t better than Sa. He does do stupid stuff but Bentley has never been more than a mid table Championship keeper.

Sa is a bottom half PL keeper. Capable of having some very good games/spells but equally capable of losing you the odd game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back