• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 0-1 Wolves: Verdict and Vic burnt his backside thread.

Sa and Coady in Crook's team of the week.
This isn't an anti-Jose Sa crusade by any means but how?! There must have been a better goalkeeping performance than that across the games, he made one clearance outside his box and one proper save (a decent one, then again had he conceded on that side I'd have been disappointed). He did nothing else, which isn't his fault.

This isn't an anti-Jose Sa crusade by any means but how?! There must have been a better goalkeeping performance than that across the games, he made one clearance outside his box and one proper save (a decent one, then again had he conceded on that side I'd have been disappointed). He did nothing else, which isn't his fault.
Agreed there. He wasn't even the best keeper in the match, never mind the whole week

Because it's Garth Crooks. He probably didn't even watch the match. It's more likely that he saw the result and stuck Sa in there on that alone. The bellend*

Crooks, not Sa.

He came and caught several balls. Nothing too challenging mind.

I'd have backed Michael Oakes to take any of those crosses, even in 2022. Not one was being contested by a United player and they were all loopy crap about six yards out.

sa has hands in high places
where the footballs go
and his fists chase the crosses away
and wolves' be ok

- Garth crooks

Last edited:
There was one clearance he had to come out to make or someone (Greenwood maybe?) was going to be in 1-on-1. It was a top class bit of keeping that I don't know many keepers in the Prem outside of him, Alisson, and Ederson make that intervention successfully.

I'll post a vid with timestamp if I find one.

Kelleher versus Chelsea. As a young keeper going into a huge game he had a good display and made a couple of great saves.

The bigger crime is that Neves or Moutinho aren't in.

Watched the game last and very impressive, on the front foot and taking the game to United. The blatant tackle on Adama by Matic in my opinion should mean a red card.

There was one clearance he had to come out to make or someone (Greenwood maybe?) was going to be in 1-on-1. It was a top class bit of keeping that I don't know many keepers in the Prem outside of him, Alisson, and Ederson make that intervention successfully.

I'll post a vid with timestamp if I find one.
If it's coming off their line early that's required then you probably need to throw Lloris into the mix too

Only just caught up with the thread. Only got back from Manchester after 11pm last night and having work this morning was too tired to read it.

Most has already been covered but there’s a few things I will add.

Semedo was great, he really is solid defensively. He was also decent going forward but it still never leads to anything (more on this later, as Mark says it’s not all his fault).

Podence was busy, tricky and looked like making things happen. Again, more on this.

Marcal was solid. Some terrible stuff but also some good stuff. What’s he doing overlapping down the wing at the end of the game the psycho!?

Trincao, Meh. Just really doesn’t do anything. Ignored some Semedo overlaps, cuts inside but then doesn’t shoot or do anything. Inexplicably stepped over the one that rolled perfectly accross centre of the goal on his left foot. He clearly has ability but lacks any form of physicality and his decision making is on a par with a Traore.

Raul was poor, and I think this is why we are struggling to get much out the WBs. He just never seems to be interested in getting in the box anymore. And as a result, Semedo or whoever is in the attacking situation can’t just play the ball across the face as there’s no one there so do nothing and allow the defenders to reset, turn back or dally and get dispossessed.

Raul comes off, Fabio comes in and we put a cross in. It’s not a good cross and Fabio hasn’t even got in a position to make or time a run. But it occupies defenders and makes them do something. This then falls to a midfielder on the edge of the area who puts it away.

If Fabio had just hung on the edge of the area like Raul does all the time then Moutinho wouldn’t have had that space (or probably wouldn’t have even been there), and Phil Jones probably does better with the header, or him and De Gea sort it out between them under no pressure.

This is what we need to sort out. Raul needs to be attacking the last line (otherwise no one is) or at least be somewhere in the area. Then ideally a forward and the WB on the opposite side attacking the back post or holding just behind it leaving Neves and Moutinho to pick of the scraps on the edge of the area, not 35 yards out.

Forgot to expand on Podence…

There were plenty of times where we as a team, particularly in first half, got into good positions, got down the sides or got people isolated in 1 v 1s but never even managed to get a shot off. Podence played well, but those two times where he had Jones exposed 20 yards out in the centre of the pitch. Just needs to work a yard and get a shot away. Anything well struck within a yard of the corner is likely going in and you never know you may get a deflection and anything can happen.

Unfortunately we either held on to it too long, played a poor pass or just didn’t shoot! There’s no way with the times we were in good positions we should only score 1 or not work the keeper more. It’s not like De Gea kept them in it with worldies.

Last edited:
Trincao, Meh. Just really doesn’t do anything. Ignored some Semedo overlaps, cuts inside but then doesn’t shoot or do anything. Inexplicably stepped over the one that rolled perfectly accross centre of the goal on his left foot. He clearly has ability but lacks any form of physicality and his decision making is on a par with a Traore.

That chance I dont know if it was visible in the ground but watching it on TV Podence gave him a round of fucks for leaving it to Somedo to shoot. Even the commentators said why as an AM leave it to the WB to shoot. It was proper cowardice stuff like when he turns 70/30's in his favour into 40/60's against. He's got brilliant natural ability but he needs so much work on his resilience and bravery.

That chance I dont know if it was visible in the ground but watching it on TV Podence gave him a round of fucks for leaving it to Somedo to shoot. Even the commentators said why as an AM leave it to the WB to shoot. It was proper cowardice stuff like when he turns 70/30's in his favour into 40/60's against. He's got brilliant natural ability but he needs so much work on his resilience and bravery.
He just doesn’t have the confidence to hit it so took the easy option. Can’t really blame him when he missed an absolute sitter the other week - it’s probably still playing on his mind.

I'm not sure if his miss vs Everton was worse than his miss vs Newcastle. Both pretty shocking.

As a technical piece of skill it was pretty good. It did absolutely mug the defender off, he wasn't expecting that. As with so much with him though, pick your moments.

It's the physical thing that gets me with him more than anything, if it's even close to a challenge then I know he'll lose out. He's not that slight naturally so he needs to get stuck in a bit, as an 80s Dad watching his kids play would say.

I didn’t see it because I was too busy looking at my mates wondering what the fuck he was doing.

For a technically gifted player it’s almost a dream opportunity. Wrap your foot round that and with the pace on the ball your at worse forcing a good save if you hit the target.

Forgot to expand on Podence…

There were plenty of times where we as a team, particularly in first half, got into good positions, got down the sides or got people isolated in 1 v 1s but never even managed to get a shot off. Podence played well, but those two times where he had Jones exposed 20 yards out in the centre of the pitch. Just needs to work a yard and get a shot away. Anything well struck within a yard of the corner is likely going in and you never know you may get a deflection and anything can happen.

Unfortunately we either held on to it too long, played a poor pass or just didn’t shoot! There’s no way with the times we were in good positions we should only score 1 or not work the keeper more. It’s not like De Gea kept them in it with worldies.
This is the thing with so many of our players unfortunately, we work good positions and then seem unable to work out how to turn it into a chance. Generally too hesitant and no one seems to make the right runs/moves to create a real chance so often we just have pot shots from 20 yards.

This is the thing with so many of our players unfortunately, we work good positions and then seem unable to work out how to turn it into a chance. Generally too hesitant and no one seems to make the right runs/moves to create a real chance so often we just have pot shots from 20 yards.
I find it bizarre that “80% of our training is attacking” yet we don’t really look like a team who has a set way to score a goal. We have a set way to get to the final 1/3 but then it’s like they’ve never played together before.

Wasn’t sure where to post but a good article on sky sports app on our very own Maldini. Sorry. Kilman

Back