• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 0-1 Wolves: Verdict and Vic burnt his backside thread.

I read this before the game yesterday, which I find quite interesting (especially as I’ve been very critical of him in the past). Given Fabio’s “stats” were in a Nuno side devoid of any creativity or willingness to attack, I think I’ll have to admit he may be worth giving more minutes to. Especially after last nights cameo.

This season:
Raul Jimenez- 1,395 mins, 5 g/a
Hwang Hee-Chan- 983 mins, 4 g/a

Last season:

Fabio Silva- 1,355 mins, 7 g/a
He missed some sitters last season to be fair. 4 or 5 six yard box misses that a decent striker should be burying. Raul and Hwang have missed a couple this year too.

Perhaps it's because I'm reading the thread this morning, but I think there's a lot of ott comments. Not about the performance as a whole, we played well ,more over individuals.

Podence was lively, a constant danger and our most likely creator, but often picked the wrong option, normally by keeping the ball too long and trying to take on a man too many.

Semedo is doing his best and is to be commended for constantly being an outlet, but if we had an actual wing back there we'd have been ahead at half time. Again not his fault, but it's a glaring issue for me in games like yesterday. Defensively he's good, bordering on very good, but if for example we had Trippier or someone of that ilk there we'd score a lot more. If we are staying with 3 at the back then we are going to continue to see good positions come to nothing.

As for Fabio, he did what you'd expect of a forward when you are protecting a lead, which is what his job was after the first 30 seconds. He worked hard, won a couple of free kicks, but nothing you wouldn't expect from Ashley Barnes or Shane Long in a similar situation. Good on him for that, but that's all it was.

Raul is a worry, he started the season off the pace, then looked his old self, then got unfairly criticised when isolated in the Burnley and Norwich games, but since then starting with his bizarre City sending off he's been off the pace, some of the offsides yesterday just looked plain lazy. I'm really not sure what's up with him.

What wasn't ott was the midfield 2. They were imperious

No doubt everyone was getting a bit giddy last night and nothing wrong with that, we just played really well and won at OT.
People are over reacting with Silva and Raul imo.
Fabio did well in his 10 minutes and showed enough to be given a bit more gametime I think. Will he ever be a 35mill player? I have my doubts but until we give him another chance we won't know for sure. We should have been using him as we did last night for the whole of last season but due to Rauls horrific injury, he got thrust into the limelight when he clearly wasn't ready.
I'm baffled by the criticism of Raul, along with Neves he has been our most consistently good player since we've been back in the Premier league. He's going through a poor patch atm but it's not like we have any alternatives apart from Silva.

So are we finally putting to bed the fact that Neves and Moutinho can play together once and for all ? :)
And I do think people are overly critical ( well probably not critical, but won't give fair praise) to Marcal, he makes very few mistakes and put some blinding crosses in yesterday which I am sure Raul of two seasons ago would have buried.

Marcal is a solid player, he just does the odd insane thing with the ball at his feet but I think that's more because he's not really a wing-back. Did put a couple of decent crosses in to be fair. He tries to really whip them in but the quality can vary from cross to cross, ha!

Oh agreed, used to wind me up that people used to denigrate his attacking play when in theory he's a left back who is apparently a better centre half !

I think Marcal and Saiss are out of contract in the Summer aren't they? Hopefully we offer them another year even if not as automatic starting players, they'll be more than useful to have in the squad.

May as well they are useful positives to the club and basically worth nothing as saleable assets.

Saïss definitely, Marçal will probably depend on Jonny's recovery and whether Bruno likes the look of Ryan Giles.

The big one is João though. Give the man another 2 year extension. Pure class.

So are we finally putting to bed the fact that Neves and Moutinho can play together once and for all ? :)
And I do think people are overly critical ( well probably not critical, but won't give fair praise) to Marcal, he makes very few mistakes and put some blinding crosses in yesterday which I am sure Raul of two seasons ago would have buried.
It is and always has been about how the opposition set up, against a midfield 3 they often struggle. Against whatever version of 4222 United were playing last night they will dominate

Saiss was one of the players I expected to have been upgraded by now. That said he has cut many of his rash tackles and needless bookings out this season and has been very solid. He looks a thread with head and feet from set pieces too. Marcal can send some beuatiful crosses in but can also miss a five yard pass. I dont see him as a long term wing back but then we have RAN and Jonny on their way back.

For all those knocking Raul, didn't he have Covid last week?

He was OK, nowhere near his best though.
Then dont play him then. If he is deemed fit then he has to play like hes fit not doped up on paracetamol and cough syrup

Podence was lively, a constant danger and our most likely creator, but often picked the wrong option, normally by keeping the ball too long and trying to take on a man too many.
TT - agree, and Phil also mentioned this - he does often try things he can do rather than should do - a few less tricks would not go amiss....

Then dont play him then. If he is deemed fit then he has to play like hes fit not doped up on paracetamol and cough syrup
You make out he played terribly but he didn't. We cut them to shreds for the first 30 minutes and were on top for all bar a 10 minute spell. Raul played his part in that.

You make out he played terribly but he didn't.
he did.

He was off the pace , languid , fluffed two presentable chances, was lazily offside. Most un-Raul like. So , I stand by it. He was poor and if that poorness was down to COVID then I stand by that he should not have played. He plays , then hes game for criticism if he doesnt play well. If SA burned his hand , then played , then dropped a ball and blamed the burn he would also get criticism as if youre not fit you dont play.

Saïss definitely, Marçal will probably depend on Jonny's recovery and whether Bruno likes the look of Ryan Giles.

The big one is João though. Give the man another 2 year extension. Pure class.
Doesn't seem long ago that many Wolves fans wanted Saiss, Coady and Joao out of the team/sold.

They've well and truly stuck that narrative up their arses.

Back