• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict thread

I'm over it now. No point dwelling on it, just get on with it and look forward to the next game.

Coady at RCB hasn't gone unnoticed to me. Potentially solves our RCB issue whilst Boly is injured. I'd be more than happy with that back 3 for the games where it's required. And a back two from Kilman, Saiss and Coady for when it's required.

I think Hoever benefited from having Coady orchestrating right behind him.

Just a comment/ opinion on the Traore discussion, now I’m no sports scientist, nutritionist etc. but with the way data is gathered and used now, maybe Adama is pacing himself where he is being challenged to make no more than 4 or 5 pacy runs a game, however, it’s his choice at which point those runs are made.

This may make him perhaps look lazy if he fails to make the right run or drift out of the game after 60 minutes or so, especially if the ball doesn’t come to him quickly enough or in the right area, drawing such criticism and even more so when he shanks it into the stand

My opinion is that he obviously frightens the shit out of most if not all opposition defences and considering he has this unique talent, we are lucky not to see significant leg muscle injuries we see from other speed merchants that normally result in several weeks out injured or early burn out.

So he/ we must be doing something right.

Hence, rather than condemn him I see Wolves and Nuno especially work with him. It doesn’t always work but I would rather have a fit Traore playing for us for 60 mins than him being constantly injured or cashing in on him now to a Leeeedzzz or Arsenal for example

The ultimate goal as he approaches his peak is that we need that end product, whilst keeping him fit, that seems to have eluded him this season.

Again only a suggestion, but with such technically good players instead of giving the ball to Traore to put the afterburners on down the line, and wait to see what develops, we need to find the gaps between CH’s and wing backs for him to run onto.

I know, easier said than done but I’m sure this would reap better rewards, whilst expending less energy.

Live at the game you don’t always see it but with the aerial view of TV I’m losing count of the times I see a pass on in the final third, that we regularly fail to make and end up going backwards. We have to find these and use Adama’a pace to exploit the space behind the opposing defences
As i've been saying. We have a huge talent in him. We just need to use him correctly. The clip i posted showed how he is useful through the middle, and no one, and i mean no one can live with his pace. Having that on your team is worth a huge amount if it is utilised in the correct way.

My thoughts have mostly been covered already. Not going to dig the players out for effort as they clearly gave everything they had.

Subs were a bit off and could've had a more positive impact - taking Vitinha off is strange in hindsight (was at the time, even) - he, and the other kids, for that matter, weren't at all overawed by the occasion and looked comfortable. Indeed, I was impressed with his willingness to just hold the ball while waiting for a pass to become available - being ok with just having the ball at your feet while the game is swirling around you is an underrated trait.

And yes, Otasowie probably should've been on for Traore after about 70...seems really odd we didn't use all the subs we had available considering the turnaround.

There are positives, for sure. But, as has been mentioned elsewhere, we really need to work on our game management. It's a bit of a nebulous term but for me, at least, it means doing what you need to in order to secure a result, whatever that may be. Passing the ball across the back 5 for 5 minutes? Ok. Taking the ball into the corner for 5 minutes? Sure. Do what you need to in order to get over the line - you've worked yourselves into the ground for 90 minutes, don't make it all for nothing by not being able to keep your head.

We have the players to be able to keep hold of the ball better than we do; or if not then at least if you're going to knock it forward, put it somewhere reasonably close to one of the forwards so they can challenge for it - failing that, knock it out of play so the oppo have to waste time retrieving the ball and we can (potentially) move up the pitch a bit from the restart. It's not pretty, and I'm not advocating we turn into Mick's team v2 and knock it into the channels constantly all game, but for the sake of a couple of minutes in order to get points on the board I don't care if we do so.

Little things but the number of times we miss out on points due to this is growing. Go back to the semi-final against Watford, even - then contrast that with the way they killed time in the game at Vicarage Road in Jan for about the last 5-7 minutes. Not being able to do so probably cost us Europe this season and it really seems a blind spot.

Coady at RCB hasn't gone unnoticed to me. Potentially solves our RCB issue whilst Boly is injured. I'd be more than happy with that back 3 for the games where it's required. And a back two from Kilman, Saiss and Coady for when it's required.

The latter is spot on. Hoever's performance owed a huge amount from Coady talking to him the whole game.

As i've been saying. We have a huge talent in him. We just need to use him correctly. The clip i posted showed how he is useful through the middle, and no one, and i mean no one can live with his pace. Having that on your team is worth a huge amount if it is utilised in the correct way.
We should be signing Bolt in that case.

Or maybe signing players that fit the system instead of the other way round.

There are a multitude of mitigating factors, but we aren't hard to beat - we've lost 44% of our league games
When I say hard to beat I don't mean can't be beat at all, stats over short periods don't reflect the real situation.
I do see your point of course but my post was about the Fosun era. I want us to win the league but believe
that plan is more long term which is reflected in our recruitment. We are still decent with a lot of young players
in the line up, the future is bright but definitely not Orange.
Since Fosun 29%
since Nuno 26%
since prem 30%
This season 44%
last 5 games 60%

I take the longer view and what my eyes see

We should be signing Bolt in that case.

Or maybe signing players that fit the system instead of the other way round.
Sounds good...:rolleyes:
He does fit the system. Counter attacking with pace, of which he has in abundance. He needs coaching and a positional change, plus no injuries, of which he has 2 and has played through with them.
I get it, you don't like him. It's your choice for sure.

Sounds good...:rolleyes:
He does fit the system. Counter attacking with pace, of which he has in abundance. He needs coaching and a positional change, plus no injuries, of which he has 2 and has played through with them.
I get it, you don't like him. It's your choice for sure.
It's not that I don't like Adama at all and it isn't as polar as like/ not like a player.

He undoubtedly has skill and pace, what he doesn't have is movement off the ball, appreciation of space or positional awareness. He never has and unlikely ever will, it's just not in his nature.

I certainly don't think we should be building a team around him but do think he's a good counter attacking weapon in certain circumstances and off the bench.

I also think he looks lost without Raul or any target in the box. In a 4-2-3-1 he could work but any other formation without a striker, like last night, he just doesn't work.

I'd like to think when everybody is fully fit he is on the bench and we have a front 4 of
-----------Raul------------
Neto - Vitinha - Pod

I usually like to back players up but Pod was garbage last night. If we are going single one player out from yesterday’s game it’s definitely not Adama.

It's not that I don't like Adama at all and it isn't as polar as like/ not like a player.

He undoubtedly has skill and pace, what he doesn't have is movement off the ball, appreciation of space or positional awareness. He never has and unlikely ever will, it's just not in his nature.

I certainly don't think we should be building a team around him but do think he's a good counter attacking weapon in certain circumstances and off the bench.

I also think he looks lost without Raul or any target in the box. In a 4-2-3-1 he could work but any other formation without a striker, like last night, he just doesn't work.

I'd like to think when everybody is fully fit he is on the bench and we have a front 4 of
-----------Raul------------
Neto - Vitinha - Pod
Agreed he is lost without a target to pass to. And agreed he's lacking in areas, but it certainly could be coached into him. Two words for me. Diego Costa. A perfect weapon for Traore and Neto.

I haven't seen him this season but I don't think Costs is the answer for Adama, he looked a little slow the last time I saw him which is last year.

I usually like to back players up but Pod was garbage last night. If we are going single one player out from yesterday’s game it’s definitely not Adama.
He was bad last night, totally uncharacteristic for him.

Yeah, I liked those three together as well.

The only problem is, we need to have a focal point (in my opinion). Which means to get the three creative players in behind a forward, we have to sacrifice one of the defenders.

Defensively we are fine at the moment - was surprised by the move of Coady to the right, but it made sense & worked.

We know where the problem is up front - pretty sure that Diego Costa isn't the answer

Back