• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

My worry is that Utd were terrible and made us look good - not sure the same plan will work against Brighton and our defence looks dodgy to me, I don’t trust Kilman at all.

It won't as Brighton will press the living daylights out of us, especially from goal kicks etc. Though I'm absolutely buzzing to seen Dunk and Van Hecke trying to contain Cunha X Silva.

Edit. And what @YoungWolf said, if we try and press the same way we could find ourselves in some serious trouble when they beat the press

Reactions: b3h
Oh good. Official apology from Howard Webb now on topic that of Moss last night. Shame they don’t give league points for those.

Michael Salisbury was the VAR ref who got stood down for the all the cock ups he made in the Spurs v Brighton game back in April, so what for him must be a couple of games later he does that last night. He needs to be publicly sacked by Webb if he wants to start getting any credibility.

Think all of my thoughts have already been said here.

Very good performance, you can see the kind of team Lopetegui was turning us into played out here although I also think O'Neil went into this match with the right approach and continued with the foundations.

Strong performance which was also very entertaining to watch, let down by poor finishing and an egregious decision against us at the end. Whether it's corruption or not, the end result remains that 'errors' are generally in favour of the Sky Six.

Kilman was terrible also, looked a real weak link. Whoever values him so highly within the club is delusional.

Next week brings a much different challenge, not sure we can play quite like that so will need to see how adapatable O'Neil can be. I felt a lot more encouraged by that then I did watching any of Lage's mythical three 1-0 defeats.

Brighton will be more difficult for us I think. Can see us playing deeper for longer spells as they are so good at teasing you out

Yes, it's going to be really tough: I'm interested to see how our midfield fares and how O'Neil adapts.

My worry is that Utd were terrible and made us look good - not sure the same plan will work against Brighton and our defence looks dodgy to me, I don’t trust Kilman at all.
Time was we'd have gone to old Trafford, sat back, and let them build confidence.

To be fair I think there was an element of us making United look terrible as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the intensity we played at surprised them - MNF and the commentators were talking pre-game and throughout some of the first half like we were a pub team that had just won a competition to play the big boys.

Oh good. Official apology from Howard Webb now on topic that of Moss last night. Shame they don’t give league points for those.
They can stick their apology where the sun doesn't shine. It's empty bullshit.

Just get the simple, obvious, basic decisions right no matter which team will be affected

United were poor but we did look exciting at times. I think I better stay away from these new emojis, I don`t know what they mean.:)

To be fair I think there was an element of us making United look terrible as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the intensity we played at surprised them - MNF and the commentators were talking pre-game and throughout some of the first half like we were a pub team that had just won a competition to play the big boys.
It reminded me of our first ever PL visit to Old Trafford under Dave Jones...

We'd been hammered by Blackburn and Charlton in our opening games and headed to Man U for a midweek fixture...

All the talk was about how many we were gonna lose by, some media outlets predicting double figures...

If it wasn't for Henri Camara's finishing we'd have won that day.

I wonder if Webb was watching that on TV last night and thinking "why hasn't he given that penalty!? He's making us all look like right dicks here"

Or is there something much darker in terms of a conspiracy happening? Is it a conscious thing?

Michael Salisbury was the VAR ref who got stood down for the all the cock ups he made in the Spurs v Brighton game back in April, so what for him must be a couple of games later he does that last night. He needs to be publicly sacked by Webb if he wants to start getting any credibility.
they’ll do something minor for the PR and he’ll be back before we know it. it’s no consolation that there seem very few attempting to defend the decision on twitter compared to, say, the pogba potential leg breaker on neves. still fuming.

United were poor
One key part of that was down to a tactical move.
Will presume more led by GO as normally the training for specific tactics is only done in the days leading up to the game.

All summer we had been pressing the opposition keeper (hi Joe Hart, remember that nightmare) and yesterday we stopped it. Happy to let their WWE keeper have the ball at his feet with time but limited options on the pass. In the build up to the game a lot had been mentioned about his ability to ping a pass to anywhere on the pitch. We cut out doing that press and therefore stopped leaving spaces for him to pass into the midfield and beyond. I think he managed to get one pass out like that all evening and that came when a counter broke down and he quickly got on the ball and found the space to pass into. When it happened the comms team said something along the lines of "finally we get to see what he is about".
Smart move which meant United had to either play out from the CB's or go long. That restricted them for me.

Still annoying we lost this game though.

I wonder if Webb was watching that on TV last night and thinking "why hasn't he given that penalty!? He's making us all look like right dicks here"

Or is there something much darker in terms of a conspiracy happening? Is it a conscious thing?

I think they just bottled a big decision against a big team to be honest.

This needs checking, but apparently we haven’t had a penalty away from home since January 2021 a game in which Owen Otasowie played.

(Admittedly not going in the box hasn't helped with this)

They can stick their apology where the sun doesn't shine. It's empty bullshit.

Just get the simple, obvious, basic decisions right no matter which team will be affected

I agree. Anything less than public executions and we riot.

Seriously though, they should both be removed from the reffing pool this year.

I never like seeing Wolves lose, but I can accept it if we work hard, play well, try and attack and show a bit of pride. I think all of that was on show last night, and I can't believe we came away with nothing - absolute daylight robbery. We'll play far worse than that and win!

GON is right in what he said after the game - yes, it's encouraging but it's still 0 goals and 0 points. We HAVE to be more clinical.

But one thing I think is really important to point out is the number of good, clear cut chances we made. We've been shit in front of goal for ages because we just never looked like creating a chance, let along scoring. Keep playing that well with dynamism through the middle from the likes of Cunha and Nunes scaring the shit out of defences and we'll score plenty more than we're used to.

As for the officials - absolutely disgraceful that we've not been awarded a penalty. It's the most clear and obvious clear and obvious error I can remember seeing. It took us about 5 seconds to realise that it was a penalty - what the absolute fuck is the point of VAR when they can't rectify such a crucial, basic decision that had huge ramifications? Why aren't they telling the blind twat on the pitch that he's fucked up and it's a clear foul? And why does it even need intervention from VAR when the incident happened right in front of him?

I still don't think it's corruption, and I'm adamant that it's just an incredible run of utter incompetence but these decisions are getting worse all the time, and it makes PGMOL look ridiculously inept.

Back