• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

We don't concede many goals (Brighton aside). Kilman can defend and isn't out of place in the PL he's just not a top half player which is where we want to be and he can't carry a defence he needs a stronger player next to him.

It's the mistakes for me, just yesterday. Fell over and gave Antony a clean run at goal which he should have scored, their first goal he was badly at fault for too. He's not a complete liability but he's good for 3/4 mistakes most games and you can't have that at this level.

Creating a midfield that would actually enforce themselves upon a game rather than only playing when teams allow them to would make a huge difference. Having a cohesive and well rounded unit in there would go along way to helping alleviate the issues at either end.

Both the forward line and the backline struggle when left more isolated by a midfield that leans either towards defence or attack respectively in different situations. That's not to say there aren't issues that need to be dealt with within both of those areas of the pitch but your midfield should stitch everything together in a way that this Wolves one rarely does.
I think we have the players on the books already for that. 2 of Lemina, Gomes, Traore and Nunes would have the balance of tenacity and ball carrying skills. Cunha then as a 10 to break beyond the centre forward in a very deluxe Edwards role. It comes down to mentality rather than personnel imo

Creating a midfield that would actually enforce themselves upon a game rather than only playing when teams allow them to would make a huge difference. Having a cohesive and well rounded unit in there would go along way to helping alleviate the issues at either end.

Both the forward line and the backline struggle when left more isolated by a midfield that leans either towards defence or attack respectively in different situations. That's not to say there aren't issues that need to be dealt with within both of those areas of the pitch but your midfield should stitch everything together in a way that this Wolves one rarely does.

We had that when Gomes and Lemina played as a pair. Both good athletes and midfield all rounders who can do a bit of everything.

It's the mistakes for me, just yesterday. Fell over and gave Antony a clean run at goal which he should have scored, their first goal he was badly at fault for too. He's not a complete liability but he's good for 3/4 mistakes most games and you can't have that at this level.
He's certainly reflective of our form. Good and solid at home but dreadful and mistake laden away.

I'm not sure what it is with him but he's not the first on my list to replace, which was my point.

I think we have the players on the books already for that. 2 of Lemina, Gomes, Traore and Nunes would have the balance of tenacity and ball carrying skills. Cunha then as a 10 to break beyond the centre forward in a very deluxe Edwards role. It comes down to mentality rather than personnel imo

I don't think you can completely separate mentality from personnel. Plenty of players who've been at the club for a while who should have been capable of displaying that level of dominance but simply can't.

Think it's too soon to tell if those current options can give the right balance. Lemina and Gomes certainly showed some promise but it's a very small sample size, Traore hasn't been partnered with either yet and I can't even remember the last time flaky Nunes actually played in the middle.

I mean if Sa isn't here next season then a new starting goalie is a high priority, nearly as high as a striker.

(agree with those giving Bentley our best player last night, didn't deserve to let in 2 goals. Dawson next best)

Sa is our choice though. We don't sell him unless we have replaced him whereas with a CF we have nobody other than a couple of players both who are big risks for different reasons

Luke Shaw top speed this season is just Below 20mph from what I have just looked up, the idea that he is slow or u athletic only seems to come from his body shape.
That's an interesting fact! I wouldn't have said Shaw "looks"quick. What is Neto's top speed this season?

Hard to know where we need to bring players in till we know who is on the way out.
Sa, rumours of not happy (well his partner)
Podence, not played much recently despite being one of our better goalscorers.
Raul, done.
Costa, done.
RAN, seems out of favour.
Jonny, done😓
Collins, also out of favour, damning that he can't get a start over Kilman even though we're safe.
Traore.
Neves.
Might be more but 9 of your squad is a lot all at once
Should this be the case, we will need,
Striker,
Keeper,
CB.
Possibly CM.
Wide forward.
Cover at full back.
Is it realistic we will bring 6 in?

That's an interesting fact! I wouldn't have said Shaw "looks"quick. What is Neto's top speed this season?

I can't find any speed figures for any Wolves player on a quick search, will have a proper look later as would like to see some different ones for Neto.

Hard to know where we need to bring players in till we know who is on the way out.
Sa, rumours of not happy (well his partner)
Podence, not played much recently despite being one of our better goalscorers.
Raul, done.
Costa, done.
RAN, seems out of favour.
Jonny, done😓
Collins, also out of favour, damning that he can't get a start over Kilman even though we're safe.
Traore.
Neves.
Might be more but 9 of your squad is a lot all at once
Should this be the case, we will need,
Striker,
Keeper,
CB.
Possibly CM.
Wide forward.
Cover at full back.
Is it realistic we will bring 6 in?
Probably on the wrong thread, but we also have Moutinho and questions over Semedo
And Nunez, so there could be quite a clear out.

Probably on the wrong thread, but we also have Moutinho and questions over Semedo
And Nunez, so there could be quite a clear out.
I've assumed Moutinho is gone, be surprised if Semedo doesn't start next season given how many others will be off.

I think ideally Semedo would start next season because ultimately he's good enough defensively for the Prem and that's not nothing. Problem, IMO, is that we have absolutely fuck all behind him (no disrespect to Dexter but he's still a kid) and it would be pretty pointless to purchase a RB we don't think is as good as Nelson.

So it's a bit harsh on my boy but I think he's on the replacement line.

Semedo costs over 5m a year in wages if we pick up his option, I think we will, but it's worth consideration first
Do contracts ever get restructured over there, a la the NFL?

Do contracts ever get restructured over there, a la the NFL?
Not really, there's no cap so not really a reason to.We could offer him a different deal, but he'd be at liberty to reject it and leave on a free. The wages in the option would have been agreed when we signed him

Thinking on it, there are also more than 31 competitors for his services so probably a lot easier for him to find someone else who'd pay, too. Maybe (I'm not an expert on football finances, obviously).

Back