• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Not good enough when you're away at a place like Old Trafford. A bit better 2nd half but still very little threat even with a slight tweak of formation and loads of subs. The stats look poor and I'd hate to see our xG. Lucky if its 0.2.

Bentley the only genuine contender for MOTM.

In the final third we are absolutely shite.

What an absolute waste of time. Got what the effort and intent deserved.

Should have stayed at the charity games I was watching, lot more fun to watch!

Absolutely no reason to get worked up over this.

Learned that Bentley may have a real future. Everything else we saw that lead to the defeat wasn't new.

Roll on summer, some new players, and a preseason of Julen's ideas in full.

Lame! Might as well have not bothered to turn up like when Mick picked the reserves for that midweek game against them.

Thought the ref had a really good game. Only fair to say so, considering some of the shockers we’ve had in the past (Hi Mr. Atwell).

Bentley MOTM.

0 shots on target is about as “on the beach” as you can be.

2-0 was about right. A poor game where they just had an edge that we simply don't have.

We only really learned about Bentley who did a good job and looks fine to play that #2 role. Otherwise what else is there. We lack goals. Podence, Hwang and Adama aren't good enough as attacking subs. Lopetegui has us back being organised which means at least Brighton aside, we stay in games. Costa is just nuisance value and zero goal threat. Please do not give him a new deal.

It's absolutely atrocious from Kilman on the first, why the fuck are you committing to that challenge 60 fucking yards from goal, especially when you turn like a skip.

On the level of an early round League Cup loss for me. The result all but written off as soon as the whistle goes and a chunk of players I don't want to watch again.

Things we learnt today

Bentley looks decent.
Costa is now officially a better option than Raul (needed to see Raul to confirm)

Things we already knew that happened again
We are dreadful in the final 3rd
Podence loves a pointless flick
Hwang is at best, meh
Lopetegui is going to be busy this summer.

Pre-season started today....

"I don't know guys, honestly... I'm kind of feeling like we should be aiming to lose today." - Ruben Neves

Ridiculous.
It's really difficult to win games when you create the square sum of fuck all Alan. Happens time and time again away from home. We are setting up completely differently and it clearly does not work, yet we do it anyway.

And you know what you can do with your pithy sarcasm.

Toothless. Anaemic. Pathetic. Pick your adjective, there are plenty more that could apply. There wasn't a single moment in that game where I felt like we might score. There wasn't a single moment in the game where I even thought we'd shoot. Genuinely atrocious attacking display. I really don't want to see Podence, Kilman, Adama or Jimenez pull on a Wolves shirt ever again. Podence, I'd gladly pay for a one way air ticket to fucking anywhere and drive him to the airport myself. In fact, forget the air ticket, stuff the little shit in a suitcase and shove him in the hold.

We had the greater possession but are so wasteful with it. As Alan said, nothing new, nothing learnt.

Feel sorry for the old gold n black faithful who travelled up there to watch that cack! So many players need to move on. The list is almost endless. However one player who is on that list, Podence, will no doubt be brilliant elsewhere because he might be playing with some decent players on his wavelength. As for the other subs, apart from Bueno, what a waste of time. What on earth is Lopetegui thinking in replacing Lemina with Adama? Gomes FFS is the obvious replacement and, as he showed as Soton, has a goal in him! Fuck me. Difficult to pick a MotM. Possibly Dawson. Oh and by the way, Neto needs to stop passing the ball back, when in decent positions, and then telling the player he's passed the ball back to, to pass it back to our defenders. Jesus wept. Can't wait for this crap arse wank-stain of a season to end!

Yes, it wasn't Brighton levels, and yes, it's United away - but there's nothing hyperbolic in calling that performance absolutely wank.

It was littered with mistakes, the movement was terrible, there was zero creativity, and other than Bentley and Dawson we defended really poorly as individuals and as units.

The midfield four and front two are absolutely terrible at making themselves a viable option to receive the ball, Nunes can occasionally take the ball with his back foot and turn but the rest haven't got that and always receive square onto their keeper, it's really poor and why we constantly struggle against a press.

The wide men were dreadful, Bueno probably the one to face his man up and take him on, and with no line breaking movement, the only option is to go square or backwards, it's so easy to defend against.

I know people have had a boner for Costa, but the geezer's done. We need such a massive overhaul in our attacking personnel it's ridiculous.

I'm not going to blame effort, they all tried - but there are definite questions on attacking intent, ability and mentality. We can keep the ball OK in danger free areas but are terrible at converting that into chance creating opportunities

Lucky to be 0-2 really. Not a good performance. Equally though nothing to get too worked up about. Like vs Leicester, our weaknesses today were the weaknesses we've known about for years.

We're terrible in a defensive transition. Every time we lose the ball we look absolutely stunned by this sudden change of possession and then defend like we're playing football on an ice rink. Every time our opponent counter attacks one of our players falls over. Every time. We've had the worst rest defence in the league for a good 3 years now and it's about time we fixed it.

To paraphrase Bielsa 'If your forwards aren't scoring, look at your defenders first as all attacking moves begin at the back'. If Max Kilman doesn't directly give possession away, he puts his teammate in positions where they're guaranteed to lose the ball in 1 or 2 passes. Dawson & Toti aren't much better. Lopetegui wants us to control move of the ball, this starts at the back. We need to sign 3/4 here.

Yep, we are who we thought we were. A midtable side with some decent players and more than a few glaring weaknesses that were never going to be fixed over the course of six months.

Worth pointing out that Julen's subs were, at least theoretically, much more attacking today. Which I think goes to show that the conservative subs in prior matches were entirely down to a "get safe first" remit. Now we are, and now we can actually do the lifting required to change the things that need changing.

Only listened on 5Live. The commentary team thought Costa was past it. I really hope we don’t give him another year. Nevin incredibly complimentary about Bentley. Bring on a summer of rebuilding please.

Back