• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Just in case you haven't seen the full 5 min clip, here it is in all it's glory.

Yeah yeah he's clattered into him but most of all DON'T FORGET TO BOOK GARY O'NEIL....

No issues with refs calling players by their surname. It should need to be like a teacher/pupil situation where the ref has some superiority which IMO making things formal does. I think refs being unapproachable or on power trips (like Hooper was on that clip) makes the situation worse. Taylor and Oliver have typically been the best because I feel they don’t show an arrogance someone like Coote does.

In Rugby calling a number works/is normal because of the numbering system per position.

No issues with refs calling players by their surname. It should need to be like a teacher/pupil situation where the ref has some superiority which IMO making things formal does. I think refs being unapproachable or on power trips (like Hooper was on that clip) makes the situation worse. Taylor and Oliver have typically been the best because I feel they don’t show an arrogance someone like Coote does.

In Rugby calling a number works/is normal because of the numbering system per position
Speaking of refs on power trips, has Lord Jarod Gillett or any of his peers booked anyone else for being the third person to swarm a ref again?

Always used to wind me up when refs called high profile players by their first name. Typically while they were mouthing off or refusing to come over when summoned.

It's not "Ashley" or "Ash", it's "Blue, three".
Winds in me up F1 when the bigger names are always referred to by first names as well.

We've had VAR for a while now. And they still keep on getting it wrong. Usually in favour of the home team/"big" team.

Until they get competent people running it, it'll just keep happening. How many times have Wolves got an apology now? Quite a few, I think. It's just as subjective now as it was before VAR. Refs still don't even know what a foul is, what handball is, etc.

How hard would it be for someone to write a computer program that instantly replaces the live screen play with an animation of the play?
No colours or anything just different shades to distinguish the different teams. Have 2/3 operators unable to see/hear any action, watching the animation and making a decision, would instantly remove any accusations of bias/ corruption?

How hard would it be for someone to right a computer program that instantly replaces the live screen play with a animation of the play?
No colours or anything just different shades to distinguish the different teams. Have 2/3 operators unable to see/hear any action, watching the animation and making a decision, would instantly remove any accusations of bias/ corruption?
Just re-run it on a PC with a fucked graphics card.

How hard would it be for someone to write a computer program that instantly replaces the live screen play with an animation of the play?
You wouldn't build it over your morning coffee, put it that way.

Incredibly hard.

Fair enough, as someone whose total knowledge of programming hasn't evolved since I owned a zx81, with 16k expansion pack, I bow down to those with a clue

Do Sky not already have something that does this? Obviously their software does it after the fact so finding a way for it to run in real time could be doable?

Do Sky not already have something that does this? Obviously their software does it after the fact so finding a way for it to run in real time could be doable?
Processing the amount of bandwidth those cameras pump out in real time would be quite a feat from what I understand.

Tbf I don't build anything for image processing so still slightly out of my lane.

Another thing to consider is communication between the ref and var, if he's made a mistake just give him a notification to rewatch it, not influence his final decision with a load of crap, he should know the rules and should spot any mistake he's missed on a replay

Tbh I think VAR should be able to straight up overrule the on-pitch officials. By definition, the VAR has the clearest view of things.

Of course, there are so many egotists involved that it would be dangerous to implement just now.

Tbh I think VAR should be able to straight up overrule the on-pitch officials. By definition, the VAR has the clearest view of things.

Of course, there are so many egotists involved that it would be dangerous to implement just now.
Totally agree and the more decision makers involved the more personality and friendships etc become involved.

The technology used in deep fakes shows it's possible, no idea how long that process takes though.

Back