• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Just don't see why a ref should need to learn people's names, you want them to be impartial so the less they know about anyone to influence their opinion the better in my mind. Judge the events not the parties involved.

Just don't see why a ref should need to learn people's names, you want them to be impartial so the less they know about anyone to influence their opinion the better in my mind. Judge the events not the parties involved.
They're in a discussion with the ref who is on the field. Them being able to explain who the player(s) involved concisely and accurately rather than the "Wolves player" ensures there is as little possible confusion as possible.

What if they didn't know who Dawson and Sasa was? How do they explain the incident properly?

I agree with this. It should be numbers only to keep it impartial.

Works in rugby.

They're in a discussion with the ref who is on the field. Them being able to explain who the player(s) involved concisely and accurately rather than the "Wolves player" ensures there is as little possible confusion as possible.

What if they didn't know who Dawson and Sasa was? How do they explain the incident properly?
Numbers

Was it - Franks not that kind of player after he went studs up into our players knee?

Was it - Franks not that kind of player after he went studs up into our players knee?
This comment from commentators always used to be baffle me, he demonstrably proved he is that kind of player because he's just done it!

He might not do it much, but he definitely did that thing I just saw him do!

This comment from commentators always used to be baffle me, he demonstrably proved he is that kind of player because he's just done it!

He might not do it much, but he definitely did that thing I just saw him do!
I think the ref said it.

Always used to wind me up when refs called high profile players by their first name. Typically while they were mouthing off or refusing to come over when summoned.

It's not "Ashley" or "Ash", it's "Blue, three".
Watching the rest of the program the officials calling each other by their nicknames in other games wound me up.

Believe it’s again on TNT sports tonight if anyone wants to watch it.

Watching the rest of the program the officials calling each other by their nicknames in other games wound me up.

Believe it’s again on TNT sports tonight if anyone wants to watch it.
It does feel like they don't take it seriously and it's a boys club.

Wolves No. X would suffice, would it not?

Seems straight forward to me that officials should know as much as they possibly can about the players they're refereeing. Past infringements, history between certain players or teams, history between teams and officials etc etc. It'd even strike me as being helpful for them to have a basic understanding of any tactical systems they suspect the 2 teams might use in the game.

I hope they're not just turning up and refereeing the game in front of them. They should be putting as much preparation into their fixtures as the teams themselves or a pundit might do.

Referring to players as 'the Wolves striker' or even 'Gold #18' during the course of a match might be a good way of keeping impartiality but actually not knowing the names of the players in the Premier League match you've been tasked with officiating seems like a stunning lack of professionalism to me.

Wolves No. X would suffice, would it not?
Yeah, but they didn't even do that.

I just think it shows their unprofessionalism, that and the nicknames thing.

They want respect, and to be taken seriously, but they really don't help themselves with how they conduct themselves.

Back