• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Same as most on here I imagine, I'm hoping this summer sees the end of Raul, Costa, Podence and Adama in Wolves shirts.

I guess we have to suck up having Hwang in the squad, and just cross our fingers over Neto...

Shame Cunha and Sarabia haven't had anywhere near the impact of Lemina and Dawson further back.

Worries me a bit that we have so much work to do on that forward line this summer when we also have doubts over Sa and most of the defence, and question marks over Neves and Nunes

Same as most on here I imagine, I'm hoping this summer sees the end of Raul, Costa, Podence and Adama in Wolves shirts.

I guess we have to suck up having Hwang in the squad, and just cross our fingers over Neto...

Shame Cunha and Sarabia haven't had anywhere near the impact of Lemina and Dawson further back.

Worries me a bit that we have so much work to do on that forward line this summer when we also have doubts over Sa and most of the defence, and question marks over Neves and Nunes
I think Cunha just had a bad game yesterday.

He's been good in that 10/ Shadow striker (just for you Del) since he's arrived.

It does show how piss poor our squad depth is that when he goes off we don't have anything to replace him with. I think Cundle could do that job.

It also doesn't help we don't have a forward worthy of the name playing with him and we really need at least 2.

Watching the highlights of Palace on MotD it was noticeable that Eze needs Zaha just as much as Ayew.

We don't have a Zaha equivalent nor a forward, even one as poor as Ayew.

I think Cunha just had a bad game yesterday.

He's been good in that 10/ Shadow striker (just for you Del) since he's arrived.

It does show how piss poor our squad depth is that when he goes off we don't have anything to replace him with. I think Cundle could do that job.

It also doesn't help we don't have a forward worthy of the name playing with him and we really need at least 2.

Watching the highlights of Palace on MotD it was noticeable that Eze needs Zaha just as much as Ayew.

We don't have a Zaha equivalent nor a forward, even one as poor as Ayew.

I really like Cunha, and think with a different mix of players around him he could really come on next year.

It's just that Dawson and Lemina have really obviously excelled for the most part, whereas Cunha and Sarabia look promising (especially the former) but haven't fully clicked for me

We're OK at left back though 😂
Wild that we have ended up with 4 first teamers for that one position and the top two aren't the youngster we thought was going to progess another level at start of season or the experienced player we hoped would return from injury to at least be able to be a decent starter on either side. Not to mention one of the best prospects out on loan is also a left back.

Taiwo Awoniyi is universally laughed at on here for being crap, he's missed about a 3rd of the season with injury and plays for a worse team. Yet he has still scored 2 more goals than anyone we have, 5 more than our strikers all put together and is only their joint top scorer. How hard can it be to just get someone vaguely competent if that's the bar? Yet for this season we've had:
A player who we knew was finished last year who has declined further
Another who was finished 3 years ago
One who did his ACL in his first game which whilst being unlucky in isolation wasn't out of the realms of possibility given his previous record, if not that it was likely to be something else sooner or later
A player allegedly signed as a 9, who after a couple of games you knew wasn't. I like him, but not there
Whilst our once record signing is out on loan because he's not thought of as being capable of and/or not prepared to be an option to back that up.

It's almost impossible to be worse next season, but that has to be fixed and hopefully early in the window. Whether Gyokeres is the answer I don't know, but surely he or anyone else scouted properly and bought would clear the Awoniyi bar?

Awoniyi wouldn’t get any goals here. Whatever else we think of Cooper he’s got Forest playing in a way that Awoniyi doesn’t really have to do much but finish. He wouldn’t have the same role here.

Somewhat misses the point Alan, you sign a player that suits your system that will score goals, hence my properly scouted comment. I'm not suggesting we literally sign him for the reason stated in my first sentence

Somewhat misses the point Alan
Apologies if so; I guess what I’m getting at is it’s a false equivalence, IMO.

I don’t think we can say “Awoniyi is scoring more than us ffs” without also accepting that some of that is due to the way he happens to fit what Forest do.

Apologies if so; I guess what I’m getting at is it’s a false equivalence, IMO.

I don’t think we can say “Awoniyi is scoring more than us ffs” without also accepting that some of that is due to the way he happens to fit what Forest do.
See my amended post for clarity

Taiwo Awoniyi is universally laughed at on here for being crap, he's missed about a 3rd of the season with injury and plays for a worse team. Yet he has still scored 2 more goals than anyone we have, 5 more than our strikers all put together and is only their joint top scorer. How hard can it be to just get someone vaguely competent if that's the bar? Yet for this season we've had:
A player who we knew was finished last year who has declined further
Another who was finished 3 years ago
One who did his ACL in his first game which whilst being unlucky in isolation wasn't out of the realms of possibility given his previous record, if not that it was likely to be something else sooner or later
A player allegedly signed as a 9, who after a couple of games you knew wasn't. I like him, but not there
Whilst our once record signing is out on loan because he's not thought of as being capable of and/or not prepared to be an option to back that up.

It's almost impossible to be worse next season, but that has to be fixed and hopefully early in the window. Whether Gyokeres is the answer I don't know, but surely he or anyone else scouted properly and bought would clear the Awoniyi bar?
I think it's our most important signing.

We can cope with Sa, Kilman and Semedo.

We can't without a striker. More importantly I think we could be relegated in the same way Soton have if we don't get a decent striker in.

I think it's our most important signing.

We can cope with Sa, Kilman and Semedo.

We can't without a striker.

I partly agree but in the same respect with Kilman playing we are already at risk of conceding 2/3 if the opposition can finish the chances he gifts them.

We need two forwards and about seven defenders innit

I partly agree but in the same respect with Kilman playing we are already at risk of conceding 2/3 if the opposition can finish the chances he gifts them.
We don't concede many goals (Brighton aside). Kilman can defend and isn't out of place in the PL he's just not a top half player which is where we want to be and he can't carry a defence he needs a stronger player next to him.

Both needs of different severity IMO.

Agree striker is the top of the list, 100%.

I know today isn't the day for it, but he's not 'that' bad. I'd have no issue with him being 3rd or 4th choice next season, just not starting. We need a younger version of Dawson in the Summer, someone who leads and organises. My ideal world involves signing 2chs, rb, left sided forward, gk and cf all to go into the first 11, so isn't very realistic and compromise is going to have to be made somewhere. Priority for me of those 6
CF
CH 1
GK
RB
LF
CH 2

I know today isn't the day for it, but he's not 'that' bad. I'd have no issue with him being 3rd or 4th choice next season, just not starting. We need a younger version of Dawson in the Summer, someone who leads and organises. My ideal world involves signing 2chs, rb, left sided forward, gk and cf all to go into the first 11, so isn't very realistic and compromise is going to have to be made somewhere. Priority for me of those 6
CF
CH 1
GK
RB
LF
CH 2
CF
LF
CH 1
GK
RB
CH 2

Would be my list.

I think Neto is done at this level in this league, injuries have done him in and that makes me very sad.

Creating a midfield that would actually enforce themselves upon a game rather than only playing when teams allow them to would make a huge difference. Having a cohesive and well rounded unit in there would go along way to helping alleviate the issues at either end.

Both the forward line and the backline struggle when left more isolated by a midfield that leans either towards defence or attack respectively in different situations. That's not to say there aren't issues that need to be dealt with within both of those areas of the pitch but your midfield should stitch everything together in a way that this Wolves one rarely does.

Back