• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd v Wolves - The 'be nice to one another' verdict thread.

I think Rui deserves a mention after watching the highlights again. His positioning was excellent and his reaction to the deflected shot was critical. Some of the shots Bruno hit at goal were really moving, so Rui did well to get something behind them. The only time I felt he was uncomfortable was when the corner came in and Utd played head tennis with us in the box.

Thought Saiss did well too

Best thing Rui did was scare the living shit out of Maguire when the ball fell at his feet at the far post. Last thing he expected after his first touch was the keeper being on top of him.

Yeah forgot rui, he had a great performance, flawless

Apart from that one where he tried to throw it into his own goal. I nearly had a coronary. :icon_lol:

Coady was class as well, especially in the first half. He didn't really stamp his authority on the second half but at half time we were all saying in the ground that he was MOTM at that point.

Apart from that one where he tried to throw it into his own goal. I nearly had a coronary. :icon_lol:

Coady was class as well, especially in the first half. He didn't really stamp his authority on the second half but at half time we were all saying in the ground that he was MOTM at that point.
Boly being back seemed to add something to Coady's game. We got through without him but Boly returning is huge.

Probably as hard to replace as Raul would be right now

Neither MotD nor Sky highlights showed McGuire trying to pull Traore's arm off.

It seemed a Man U. tactic to deal with Traore, and Jota, from all their defenders, to wrestle our attackers and it wasn't stopped by the referee.

Nuno needs a word with the ref before games about this.

Neither MotD nor Sky highlights showed McGuire trying to pull Traore's arm off.

It seemed a Man U. tactic to deal with Traore, and Jota, from all their defenders, to wrestle our attackers and it wasn't stopped by the referee.

Nuno needs a word with the ref before games about this.

He had a word with the 4th official after the Traore incident and it got him a yellow card...

I think the fact that we generally played decently yesterday has been tempered psychologically with just how irrationally people have been treating United's form under Solskjær. It's not necessarily people on here, but at least the British footballing zeitgeist (at least what parts of it that I'm exposed to) seems to be convinced that United are suddenly absolutely shit and that it's somehow strange and disappointing that we didn't clobber them.

They aren't anything like the force they were under SAF but they still have match winners like Mata and Martial, both of whom ended up having extremely quiet games, IMO. That's not by accident and it's certainly not because either player is shit; it's because we were mostly astute in nullifying them, even accepting the few awful moments when Jonny was dispossessed in our own half.

Tl;dr: I don't feel like either we nor United are at a place yet where coming back from Old Trafford with a 0-0 draw is anything but a good result.

Reflecting on yesterday’s game I think I think my glass is just half-empty. We’ve played Man Utd four times this season and scored one goal – yes, I know we’ve scored five against City – but like the Cup game y/day left me with the feeling that I wish we’d gone for it a bit more. I can’t think of De Gea having to make a save and I see we won it (just) on xG.
On the positive side, I thought Podence looked great. It’s very early days but I wonder if he’s the guy we’ve been waiting for to unlock teams that sit deep? If he doesn’t start against Leicester I’d expect him to start vs Espanyol, especially as someone seems to have stolen last year’s Diogo Jota. Expected him to cause havoc and score every time he ran at a defence last year: don’t have any such hopes this year.

Also, special congratulations to the Man United fans for overtaking Everton & Arsenal as the worst home fans I've ever seen. Football in a library.

Considering how silent Goodison Park was this year I'm actually impressed.

United had close on £400m worth of players in their starting XI yesterday (and De Gea, Mata and Martial were bought ages ago, their fees were a lot bigger in context than they look), this is without Pogba. That's why they attract flak when they play with such little invention and show little sign of making the top four. Nothing OTT about it on here, in the media or whatever, they're easily the worst they've been in 30 years.

I thought that Nuno got the game plan spot on yesterday. Much to the delight of us all we didn't concede first, limited them to mainly long range pot shots all game and we carried a serious threat going forward. Look at the cost of that United team, a neutral observer wouldn't have a clue who's squad was assembled for the greater amount. Our front 3 are better than there's, our midfield two are too, nothing to chose between the keeper's, Boly is better than Lindlof(sp?) and I'd have Jonny over Luka Shaw everyday of the week.

My one gripe about Adama is that he should run at the opposition in the penalty box. Zaha wins a huge amount of Penalties and Adama should have that in him or just go round them.

I thought that Nuno got the game plan spot on yesterday. Much to the delight of us all we didn't concede first, limited them to mainly long range pot shots all game and we carried a serious threat going forward. Look at the cost of that United team, a neutral observer wouldn't have a clue who's squad was assembled for the greater amount. Our front 3 are better than there's, our midfield two are too, nothing to chose between the keeper's, Boly is better than Lindlof(sp?) and I'd have Jonny over Luka Shaw everyday of the week.

My one gripe about Adama is that he should run at the opposition in the penalty box. Zaha wins a huge amount of Penalties and Adama should have that in him or just go round them.

Yeah, I agree with that re Adama. Love him to bits but sometimes think he's still short of confidence. Adama one side and Pod the other and we really ought to get a shedload of pens

Traore had a good chance to slip Doc in 1st half as well but tbh I don't necessarily blame him for having the shot he did, he's probably very confident right now.

I'll be curious to see how we approach the Leicester game. We will play similarly cautiously, or be more on the front foot since we're at home? Are we developing a home vs away mentality?

I keep thinking back to the Spurs game and wondering if that was an outlier, because we were excellent and in total control of that game, with the ball for long stretches. Easier said than done, I know, but it seems odd we play so passively in comparison most of the time.

United had close on £400m worth of players in their starting XI yesterday (and De Gea, Mata and Martial were bought ages ago, their fees were a lot bigger in context than they look), this is without Pogba. That's why they attract flak when they play with such little invention and show little sign of making the top four. Nothing OTT about it on here, in the media or whatever, they're easily the worst they've been in 30 years.

And yet, they're not so poor that we should be expecting to walk over them.

And yet, they're not so poor that we should be expecting to walk over them.

Oh, I don't. Principally as we hardly ever batter anyone, except West Ham at home.

I've no problem with us being recognised both within our fanbase and in wider circles as being a genuine top half team now which is basically what we are. I do think some of our lot go a bit far and expect us to knock over anyone bar Liverpool, we're still some way from being a team that joins together 4-5 wins at this level or that can go to places like Old Trafford and get a comfortable win.

We could have nicked it yesterday, didn't, it's still a good point.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:Burnley v Arsenal
“On a weekend when they would be harbouring getting into that top 4 where Leicester and Chelsea took points off each other where Manchester United failed to take all 3 points at home Spurs Man City” blah blah blah. Sheff Utd above Arsenal, as are we, and Man Utd but neither get mentioned.

Sky sicks

Oh, I don't. Principally as we hardly ever batter anyone, except West Ham at home.

I've no problem with us being recognised both within our fanbase and in wider circles as being a genuine top half team now which is basically what we are. I do think some of our lot go a bit far and expect us to knock over anyone bar Liverpool, we're still some way from being a team that joins together 4-5 wins at this level or that can go to places like Old Trafford and get a comfortable win.

We could have nicked it yesterday, didn't, it's still a good point.
Aye, think we're just about on the same page.

I think the fact that we generally played decently yesterday has been tempered psychologically with just how irrationally people have been treating United's form under Solskjær. It's not necessarily people on here, but at least the British footballing zeitgeist (at least what parts of it that I'm exposed to) seems to be convinced that United are suddenly absolutely shit and that it's somehow strange and disappointing that we didn't clobber them.

They aren't anything like the force they were under SAF but they still have match winners like Mata and Martial, both of whom ended up having extremely quiet games, IMO. That's not by accident and it's certainly not because either player is shit; it's because we were mostly astute in nullifying them, even accepting the few awful moments when Jonny was dispossessed in our own half.

Tl;dr: I don't feel like either we nor United are at a place yet where coming back from Old Trafford with a 0-0 draw is anything but a good result.

That’s a really great post Alan, rational and feet on the ground

Back