• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Manchester United (A) 03/01/2022 5.30pm Build Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should have been made to play looking at that side but we’d have had no outfield subs with any experience bar Jordao (and how fit is he).

The recruitment hasn’t been great on a quality level but not sure we can blame the numbers. Any team missing 8 first team outfield players is going to be very short, and that’s without including Jonny and Neto. I don’t think you can include Jonny though as he was known to be out until the new year. Neto, can’t remember when the setback was, was after the transfer window I think so you could probably fairly call it 9 absentees.

It does favour the small clubs though as if Chelsea/City/United/etc. had 9 out then They’d still probably be forced to play.

We should have been made to play looking at that side but we’d have had no outfield subs with any experience bar Jordao (and how fit is he).

The recruitment hasn’t been great on a quality level but not sure we can blame the numbers. Any team missing 8 first team outfield players is going to be very short, and that’s without including Jonny and Neto. I don’t think you can include Jonny though as he was known to be out until the new year. Neto, can’t remember when the setback was, was after the transfer window I think so you could probably fairly call it 9 absentees.

It does favour the small clubs though as if Chelsea/City/United/etc. had 9 out then They’d still probably be forced to play.
The way I look at it is Covid only accounted for 4 outfield players - a PL side should be able to cover that. We laughed at Chelsea's whinging, but that's how many they had out

Chelsea also have a much bigger squad than we do. That's why we laughed at the "depleted" narrative.

Chelsea made one change to their starting XI.

Chelsea made one change to their starting XI.
They tried to get the previous game called off as well for the same reason
Chelsea also have a much bigger squad than we do.
Our choice.

The 11 I put up are all genuine first team squad players, there's only Fabio who is unlikely to be picked to start in any given week. The game should have been on, as should any other where a side could field something similar. I'm against forcing teams to play with kids and don't see the Liverpool or Derby examples in cup games as PL precedents, but there needs to be a reality line drawn

The PL states you need 13 outfield plays to play. Thems the rules, I'm not sure why this is being used as another stick to beat the club with.

The way I look at it is Covid only accounted for 4 outfield players - a PL side should be able to cover that. We laughed at Chelsea's whinging, but that's how many they had out
I agree. We should have been able to account for that and we effectively could have done by the team you posted. The game should have been on, but based on the rules I see why it wasn’t.
Our choice.
And understandably so. Chelsea will play on average around 15 more games than us whilst also having around triple our turnover.

The PL states you need 13 outfield plays to play. Thems the rules, I'm not sure why this is being used as another stick to beat the club with.
I'm not, it's a comment about the rules in general, but if Luke Cundle sits on the bench of every single PL game then surely he has to be considered a first team player?

I'm not, it's a comment about the rules in general, but if Luke Cundle sits on the bench of every single PL game then surely he has to be considered a first team player?
Someone on here said it didn't really matter if he sat on the bench or not as he wasn't coming on, to the extent that some of our players could be replaced with forumers. I genuinely can't remember who though.

Anyway, I don't think anyone counts bench appearances as being worth anything.

Someone on here said it didn't really matter if he sat on the bench or not as he wasn't coming on, to the extent that some of our players could be replaced with forumers. I genuinely can't remember who though.

Anyway, I don't think anyone counts bench appearances as being worth anything.
And someone else countered that by saying if they were sat on the bench instead that was weakening the side - it wasn't, then and isn't now. Gotta be consistent Andy

I think the rules say they've had to have played a PL game for them to be considered a first team player iirc
I think it was something like u21 with first team experience.

At this point, I think it would "damage the integrity" of the league if teams were forced to chuck in a bunch of untried u23s

And someone else countered that by saying if they were sat on the bench instead that was weakening the side - it wasn't, then and isn't now. Gotta be consistent Andy

So why do people get so pissy about having 2 keepers on the bench?

Best solution in my opinion would be to stop asymptomatic testing of fully vaxed players, carry on testing unvaxed and if that leads to positives meaning clubs can't field a team, they forfeit the game.

So if I was sat on the bench that would make me a first teamer?

How do the PL decide, do they have to have made an appearance?

How do the PL decide, do they have to have made an appearance?

A PL appearance, which is daft really as clubs are happy to whack kids in for the league and fa cup. I'm of the opinion if they have a professional contract and are 18 plus they should be counted. Farcical the way it's being used currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back