• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Mick McCarthy era

Fair to say Mick McCarthy reignited my serious interest in Wolves. I went to his first league game in charge down at Plymouth and while it wasn't a great game, it was clear that a different era was starting. Matt Murray was truly immense that day.

Spurs at home 4-4 stood toe to toe and battled, Man Utd at home Elokobi's header, that season we finished on 40 points was the best season we had for 30 years

Soon after Mick took over, we played away at Plymouth Argyle. We lost with one of the most inept, pathetic jokes of a performance I can ever remember from the boys in Old Gold. Mick must indeed have been a magician to get us promoted and walk away with the league only three seasons later. Looks like he may pull off the same trick with the Tractor boys now.

We lost at Plymouth under Hoddle at the fag end of that dreadful season. Mick never lost there.

Soon after Mick took over, we played away at Plymouth Argyle. We lost with one of the most inept, pathetic jokes of a performance I can ever remember .

Which one

2006 - 1-1
2007 - 1-1
2008 - 2-2

Ince bullet header OG? Norris absolutely mauled Dan Jones.

Ince bullet header OG? Norris absolutely mauled Dan Jones.

Even though Dan Jones as turned out to be a bit of a cock, I felt for him that day. He was put in and had no one in front of him to help out and was exposed to 2 players every time they came forward.

Spurs at home 4-4 stood toe to toe and battled, Man Utd at home Elokobi's header, that season we finished on 40 points was the best season we had for 30 years

If its the game I'm thinking of it actually finished 3-3.......still a great game though.

Micks second season with us in the Prem was my all time favourite season with lots of good memories, the league seemed really open too where everyone was seemingly able to beet anyone.

If its the game I'm thinking of it actually finished 3-3.......still a great game though.

Micks second season with us in the Prem was my all time favourite season with lots of good memories, the league seemed really open too where everyone was seemingly able to beet anyone.

That Spurs game was the Dean Richards tribute. Where Halsey absolutely shafted us twice. Gutless chancer of a referee. Very entertaining game though.

That Spurs game was the Dean Richards tribute. Where Halsey absolutely shafted us twice. Gutless chancer of a referee. Very entertaining game though.

hutton2.jpg

Not a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Then Gomes getting a freekick for jumping into Stearman.

Fuck you Halsey.

Like I say great season, although there was some dross performances thrown in there too we actually looked like a good side for large portions of it.

I think with hindsight we over performed that season and the resulting complacency cost us (and Mick) in the end.

Derby away the season we went up. That was the game I knew we were going to be champions. I also like Forest away with 5k Wulf seeing Kites score the only goal.

Does anyone have a link to highlights for the Forest game? Can never seem to find it...

Stoke at home, first game of our 2nd season in the prem. We won, it was fletch's debut, it was sunny and it really felt like the dawning of a new era...

Stoke at home, first game of our 2nd season in the prem. We won, it was fletch's debut, it was sunny and it really felt like the dawning of a new era...

Was that the one with that fabulous David Jones free kick?

Derby away the season we went up. That was the game I knew we were going to be champions. I also like Forest away with 5k Wulf seeing Kites score the only goal.
Arr. I was at both those games. The Derby one was all kinds of awesome.

That was the season after - when we picked up seven points from the first three games and our game vs Villa was the Saturday lunchtime kickoff.

Back