• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Mick McCarthy era

Definitely a draw, just remember Mick taking off both wingers for fullbacks and seeing it out for a point when there were options on the bench to be more positive, you'd think with the good start to the season he'd want to build on that momentum against an ordinary Villa side but just seemed like he gave up and settled for the point, then the season was pretty much downhill from there.

Yeah I remembered that. Foley came on at right midfield, Elokobi on which pushed Ward forward.

It was a poor game in generally but we had probably had slightly the better of game and best effort through Ward if I remember right.

It was no Chelsea away when we lost 2-0, that's for sure.

:icon_lol:

We did play some really good football that day. I think van Damme and Jarvis missed chances at 0-0.

It was no Chelsea away when we lost 2-0, that's for sure.

No mistaking which game showed more ambition, was certainly a lot more entertaining down in West London.

We did play some really good football that day. I think van Damme and Jarvis missed sitters at 0-0.

There was a chance where someone took it off Van Damme's head, think possibly Edwards, that would've almost certainly been a goal. He was attacking the back post and was completely unmarked but then Edwards made a late run and just beat him to the ball but couldn't get over it so it went harmlessly over the top, big Jelle wasn't a happy bunny.

Taken off at half time, as he often was by Mick despite looking a decent footballer in all the games I saw him play!

He was an awkward one though, he did look a decent footballer but he was ridiculously immobile at times, he got torn apart as a result at left back so got moved up to left wing for a bit but he was a bit too negative there when it went back to 1 up top, suppose his best bet at that point would've been trying to steal that left sided centre half stop from Berra.

He was bloody useless in the friendly against Bilbao, which was the only time I saw him at left back. Since he's gone back to Belgium I think he has mostly played at left back though. I think like you said he lack of mobility mad eit hard for him to ever succeed in the Premier League.

2-1 win against Manchester United! I was going to put £50 on us to win and my dad dissuaded me. Great game and result. 5-1 win against Forest was good, too.

I was at that Plymouth curtain raiser. It has to be the worst side I have ever seen us put out (on paper) and we equalised with a loopy deflected shot from some kid in CM (O'Connor?) Terrible game! But we battled from start to finish and it felt like a long time since I had seen that from a Wolves side.

Man United 2-1 was my favourite game.
The 3-3 with Spurs (possibly the angriest I have ever been with a ref) is the best I have ever seen us play. Spurs had Bale and Modric in midfield and we were the better side in an absolutely belting game.

That Spurs game was the Dean Richards tribute. Where Halsey absolutely shafted us twice. Gutless chancer of a referee. Very entertaining game though.

Probably our best PL game.

We did play some really good football that day. I think van Damme and Jarvis missed chances at 0-0.

SEB missed a sitter as well. Header from 5 yards straight at Cech

I was at that Plymouth curtain raiser. It has to be the worst side I have ever seen us put out (on paper) and we equalised with a loopy deflected shot from some kid in CM (O'Connor?) Terrible game! But we battled from start to finish and it felt like a long time since I had seen that from a Wolves side.

If you're talking about the 2-2 then it was Kightly and Vokes who scored. Both were pretty decent goals actually, Kights volleyed a cross in (from Jones, I think) and Vokes scored another volley on the counter after playing a 1-2 with Iwelumo. Might've been his best moment for us actually, that or the Charlton game a few weeks after.

That was 2008, the 2006 1-1 draw (OG by Doumbe I think, O'Connor's deflected shot) was Mick's first game.

A midfield of Clapham-Henry-O'Connor-Ricketts as I remember - glorious stuff.

Yeah that's the one. I wouldn't have called the title winning team the worst Wolves team I'd ever seen!

If you're talking about the 2-2 then it was Kightly and Vokes who scored. Both were pretty decent goals actually, Kights volleyed a cross in (from Jones, I think) and Vokes scored another volley on the counter after playing a 1-2 with Iwelumo. Might've been his best moment for us actually, that or the Charlton game a few weeks after.
Micks first game was 1-1. Our goal was deflected in. Our team was cobbled together from those remaining after Hoddle and Micks freebies. The 2-2 was the start of the promotion season.

Back