• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Middlesbrough (H) build up

Wallace has been dumped out on the wing though...He is a number 10, that's what we bought him for so just play him in the correct position

I don't agree with Wallace being a No.10 at Pompey he was either on the wing (mainly the right) or like last season as part of a 3 man midfield.

Wallace has been dumped out on the wing though...He is a number 10, that's what we bought him for so just play him in the correct position

I would not say he's been dumped out on the 'Wing' as in hug the touch line best your man and put crosses in. He's been on the left of midfield and in this position he should still be able to demonstrate that he has some ability.

When David Silva or Eriksen get put out on the left they don't suddenly lose all ability. He hasn't demonstrated any pace, trickery, creativity or intelligence so far that make me feel he is going to solve our issue by making him come infield. I think it will be the opposite and make us worse as he will find it even harder to have time and space and will be completely anonymous increasing the number of Danny Batth hoofs over his head. I hope I'm wrong, but at least Edwards is semi effective in the hoof system.

So you are advocating "hoof ball" rather than going back to what has served us so well over the last few seasons? I certainly won't be happy with Batth hoofs for Edwards to chase

So you are advocating "hoof ball" rather than going back to what has served us so well over the last few seasons? I certainly won't be happy with Batth hoofs for Edwards to chase

It hasn't worked so well?? We haven't ever really played passing football except in league 1. We've always relied on channel balls to Edwards, Dicko and Afobe or holding up direct balls plus Sako Magic. Now we don't have any of those available and the one player who is available and capable is being played RB or CM!

Im saying it will be direct play whoever plays but at least if it is edwards playing he can make the most of it.

That's not fair. Last season we started the season extremely well, playing some very good football, particularly out from the back. We struggled to score goals as we had Edwards at the ten and although individually he was playing fairly well we all know his limitations.

The disastrous November run led to Jackett trying to simplify our game and solidify a leaky defence. We started getting slowly back to our best, and with the return of Dicko and acquisition of Afobe we went to two up top, which was the obvious way to go. And it worked very well, we just become slightly more direct with our passing. But in that second half of the season some of the football was very good, and exciting!

We've just lost the plot this summer, in my opinion. Sako and Dicko are huge losses and would be to any team. Our work this summer has been poor and we have performed poorly as a result.

Dave Edwards is not the answer to anything. Him chasing around Grant Leadbitter like a kid running after an ice cream van is not going to improve us.

-------------------------Martinez----------------------

Byrne-----------Batth----------Hause---------Golbourne

------------------Coady-------Price----------------

-----------Henry-------McDonald---------Ojo----------

------------------------Afobe----------------------------

2015/16: L 0-3 (A, LC)
2014/15: W 2-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2012/13: W 3-2 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2008/9: L 1-2 (H, FAC)
2003/4: W 2-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
1997/8: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
1994/5: L 0-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)

Tim Spiers ‏@tim_spiers_Star 50 mins50 minutes ago

Groin injury victim David Edwards will again be given a late fitness test, possibly as late as Saturday morning, for the Middlesbrough game.

About time you found this out Tim. People have been asking you since the injury happened.

That's not fair. Last season we started the season extremely well, playing some very good football, particularly out from the back. We struggled to score goals as we had Edwards at the ten and although individually he was playing fairly well we all know his limitations.

The disastrous November run led to Jackett trying to simplify our game and solidify a leaky defence. We started getting slowly back to our best, and with the return of Dicko and acquisition of Afobe we went to two up top, which was the obvious way to go. And it worked very well, we just become slightly more direct with our passing. But in that second half of the season some of the football was very good, and exciting!

We've just lost the plot this summer, in my opinion. Sako and Dicko are huge losses and would be to any team. Our work this summer has been poor and we have performed poorly as a result.

Yes we started off well. But Dicko being able to take the ball into feet, move into the channels and chase balls with his pace was a huge asset. Take that out and we were shocking (see Leon for details)

There is nothing wrong with direct football. Football is most exciting when you are getting shots off and scoring goals. If it requires you going direct then so be it as long as it's effective. There's nothing worse than direct ineffective football though like last night.

We've never really built up play into the final third through the middle of the pitch like Brentford did yesterday. They were playing neat one touch triangles in the final third and appeared to have tons of space to do so which allowed them to work opportunities but often the final ball was lacking, but that is why they are near the bottom.

Interesting interview.

all the faults he mentioned have not suddenly just appeared last night, so why has he not corrected them already ?

Will I get told off if I say I think Wolves will win? Because I do truly believe we will do so.

Will I get told off if I say I think Wolves will win? Because I do truly believe we will do so.
I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind this :icon_lol:

That said, I'm tipsy, so I'm going to let a haze of optimism surround me. Here's to a Wolves win!

Frank - you would have more credibility if you occasionally didn't predict a win. We can, though would be happy with a draw given the way we have been performing, Just would like a more energetic performance & us in their faces for 90 mins rather than standing off & watching.

Frank - you would have more credibility if you occasionally didn't predict a win. We can, though would be happy with a draw given the way we have been performing, Just would like a more energetic performance & us in their faces for 90 mins rather than standing off & watching.

Fair comment 4 - 0 to Boro...!

Win or lose, the key point is that the team look like - and play like - they want to win. Which certainly wasn't the case for some of them on Wednesday...

Win or lose, the key point is that the team look like - and play like - they want to win. Which certainly wasn't the case for some of them on Wednesday...

With Middlesbrough likely to play a similar system to Wolves two up top its likely Wolves will have more of the ball than against Brentford who looked for more control of the ball which at times made Wolves look lacking in effort.
It should be more end to end with Boro looking to beat us because of higher quality teamwork, cohesion, confidence and individual quality.

Dave Edwards is not the answer to anything. Him chasing around Grant Leadbitter like a kid running after an ice cream van is not going to improve us.

-------------------------Martinez----------------------

Byrne-----------Batth----------Hause---------Golbourne

------------------Coady-------Price----------------

-----------Henry-------McDonald---------Ojo----------

------------------------Afobe----------------------------

2015/16: L 0-3 (A, LC)
2014/15: W 2-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2012/13: W 3-2 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2008/9: L 1-2 (H, FAC)
2003/4: W 2-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
1997/8: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
1994/5: L 0-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)

Brave choice of right back but needs must. He may be as good as Doherty there but better than him going forward so I see the logic. 2 protecting the nervous defence will help. The release of McDonald from defensive duty will be a help as his tackling commitment for anything close to 50/50 has been pretty shoddy over the last few games however Coady does come with a tackling health warning!
So whilst I like the look of this team my hesitation comes from KJs love of Edwards so I can see him playing him on the left and Doherty at right back I am afraid and if so 0-0 will be the best we can hope for

Back