• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Kits - 2019/20

Because they are trying to make a difference?

I'm also in the camp who think they should be applauded. I don't get the hate, I don't know where the smug label comes from as they certainly aren't everyone's faces with their mission statement. I only saw their chairman on an FA cup motd bit and he seemed alright, wasn't arrogant or smug, just seemed really invested in being as eco-friendly as possible. Fair play to him I say.

Just because I don't feel the need to applaud them it doesn't mean I think they're smug or hate them or their ideals

Why do people think if you don't love something you must hate it? It's bizarre.

Are they still doing the 2 stars on the kits that have no colour? If they get to L1 then one of them will be coloured in and then the other if they get to the Championship. Thats the only bit of FGR I find odd.

A football club are doing something that puts other people and/or the planet above commercial performance, that's a good thing, no?

Are they? Or are they trying to make a sustainable club and business from a commercial arm? And they may be aiming to sell the club once they've built a very saleable asset.

Good luck to them for trying to finance a club in a sustainable way and alternative energies I'm a massive fan of so more solar, wind and Anaerobic digestion is a good thing for both planet and industry (and a massive help to their cost base).

I'm not sold that it's all for the good of the planet and making the shirt out of bamboo, as opposed to cotton which is equally as natural a fibre, just looks like marketing to me.

Bamboo is a more sustainable crop than cotton. But either way I believe the intent is to use bamboo as a cloth supplement that replaces plastic, synthetic threads, rather than the cotton ones already in there.

Bamboo is a more sustainable crop than cotton.

Proof?

And you admit that both are sustainable. So why would one material being more sustainable than another matter?

Yeah, there's no doubt that they sacrifice profitability for his cause, no doubt at all. Even down to match day food - the costs are higher, but the sale prices are market prices. Yeah, some of it is maybe gimmicky in order to further the message, but overall I think they've for a really interesting model, some good work and it's also a really nice story

Issue seems to be the kits containing plastic

He said: “I never realised until recently that all football shirts are made from plastic – polyester – and I wanted us to change that and make them from sustainable sources.

Yeah, there's no doubt that they sacrifice profitability for his cause, no doubt at all. Even down to match day food - the costs are higher, but the sale prices are market prices. Yeah, some of it is maybe gimmicky in order to further the message, but overall I think they've for a really interesting model, some good work and it's also a really nice story

As I say, good luck to them and it'll be interesting to see what happens to them as a club.

Issue seems to be the kits containing plastic

Sounds a bit like marketing to me. If you wanted the truly green angle you'd make the shirts from recycled polyester (all the big sports companies make recycled polyester garments and Adidas have committed to having 30% of it's clothing range made from the substance by 2030).

Using recycled shirts isn't as big as a story as having your bamboo shirts hand woven by pandas though.

Shirts made from recycled plastics can't then be recycled, so you're not actually solving any waste problems at all.

Shirts made from recycled plastics can't then be recycled, so you're not actually solving any waste problems at all.

Yes they can. And it's more of a point that you are using something recycled in the first place.

They can even be used for energy by burning them and then using carbon capture you can generate more energy without releasing polluting the sky.

Yes they can. And it's more of a point that you are using something recycled in the first place.

They can even be used for energy by burning them and then using carbon capture you can generate more energy without releasing polluting the sky.

https://fashionunited.uk/news/fashion/how-sustainable-is-recycled-polyester/2018111540000

1. Recycling plastic has its limitations - Many garments are not made from polyester alone, but rather a blend of polyester and other materials. In that case, it is more difficult, if not impossible, to recycle them.

Nope, just trying to further my understanding of the subject.

Proof?

And you admit that both are sustainable. So why would one material being more sustainable than another matter?
Why would it matter? That's like asking why guns should be controlled if people can still own knives.

Bamboo is the fastest growing plant on earth and does not require pesticides or chemical fertilizer to grow at an industrial scale.

Back