• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Ta mate, I’ve had a couple of proper phone interviews last couple of days, the one I stand a good chance with, I’ve got the experience and a bit over qualified for it, if that comes off I’ll nip to the bank and see about a loan for a van and start doing the bike repair stuff at the weekends.
I’m just at that tricky age I think, mid 50s trying to do something different to what I’ve been doing for the last 30 years, people think are you fucking mad or what, why aren’t you sticking with bus driving?
Go for it mate, think the idea of starting the bike mechanic business on a part time basis is a good plan.

I'll be your first customer Keef. Fucking rear disc brakes. Hate them.

What’s up with them, squealing?
Rubbing when the brakes aren't applied so it's sounds like a violin when I'm pushing it around. Tried adjusting them endlessly but can't get them right. Thing the wheel is either slightly out of true, or the rotor might have a slight bend in it, or the brake pistons aren't retreating enough, needs bleeding or all of the above.

Like, I'll adjust the calipers and it will be fine. Get it out of the shed the next day and the fucking squeak is back.

Like, I'll adjust the calipers and it will be fine. Get it out of the shed the next day and the fucking squeak is back.
I’ve sent a PM, I think I have.
If it’s proper squeak/squeal brake cleaner or degrease the discs should sort that

Are cycle disc brakes the same basic design as car and motorcycle brakes? Are they hydraulic with pistons? Problem I get periodically is on my motorbikes is rubbing due to salt and crap getting in the caliper making the piston stick a bit. Usually requires stripping and cleaning.

Get on it @Keef as I am getting close to needing the chain replaced. Might need new gears, though hoping not this time.

Are cycle disc brakes the same basic design as car and motorcycle brakes? Are they hydraulic with pistons? Problem I get periodically is on my motorbikes is rubbing due to salt and crap getting in the caliper making the piston stick a bit. Usually requires stripping and cleaning.
Yea same principles just scaled down, mineral oil filled some use DOT fluid like in cars and bikes.
Cheap disc braked bikes use cable disc

I need a new back tyre, new brake discs, gears tuning and maybe a new chain. I haven’t looked at how rusty it’s got in the last year or so.

I’ve sent a PM, I think I have.
If it’s proper squeak/squeal brake cleaner or degrease the discs should sort that
The problem is they rub ever so slightly when the brakes aren't engaged. Not all the way around, but at some point during the rotation of the wheel. Endless caliper tweeting will get the rotor centralised and squeak free but the next time I get it out the shed, the squeak has returned.

Either the wheel isn't 100% true or the rotor has a slight bend in it I think.

Hmm, what purpose are you actually using them for?
Got to say I've never had an issue with using them to keep sugar in.😄
You could get about 10 bags of sugar from what falls out when stacked in the supermarket

You could get about 10 bags of sugar from what falls out when stacked in the supermarket
I'd say that's in the packing dept and handling that's the problem rather than the bags themselves.

Better bags...limited spillage when poorly stacked

I appreciate the debate but, like Kenny, find the sugar all heaped up on the pallet and floor pointing to a failure that can’t be tough to resolve - left sugar all over the worktop too!

Back