• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Wasps don't die when they sting. You're thinking of bees.
Boooo, they all look the same innit (they don't).

Both important parts of the ecosystem but yeah, wasps can definitely be annoying.

People who are so scared of wasps, they act like a spitting cobra is lurching towards them whenever a solitary bloody insect appears within 10 fucking feet of them. Fucking pack it in, it's only a fucking wasp.

Yes, I've spent the last 5 days camping with my kids.
I mean I would die (eventually) if I got stung. So you do occasionally get a Paul Jones vs Preston in 2004 impression from me.

Wasps don't die when they sting. You're thinking of bees.
And just female worker honeybees, which have barbed stingers. Nearly all other bees have smooth stingers which don't get stuck in a mammal's skin.

Undeniable.

But unless you're allergic to being stung by them (in which case, carry on) the reaction to them is more annoying than the fuckers themselves.
I'm still angry that a few weeks ago one got into a garden glove of mine and had the bastard nerve to sting me as if it was my fault it got into a glove I was using.

In this instance as well, Alan is correct - That stinging little prick did die.

I mean I would die (eventually) if I got stung. So you do occasionally get a Paul Jones vs Preston in 2004 impression from me.
yeah - see my follow up post.

You get a free pass on this one. Unless you did a Lonergan, in which case you're fair game.

Is this where I dig my village idiot hole even deeper by saying that I think wasps are cool as shit?

Like, most insects are fucking rad, especially any with a "hive mind" or similar. That said, almost all of them scare the shit out of me.

Y'all have fire ants over there?

yeah - see my follow up post.

You get a free pass on this one. Unless you did a Lonergan, in which case you're fair game.
Mancienne ducking under a high ball
Bothroyd flinching out of the way in the wall facing a free kick
Corica in any challenge, ever

The mediocre Wolves comparisons are endless

And just female worker honeybees, which have barbed stingers. Nearly all other bees have smooth stingers which don't get stuck in a mammal's skin.
Your telling me a bumblebee doesn’t die when it stings you? Every day is a school day

Your telling me a bumblebee doesn’t die when it stings you? Every day is a school day
Added clarity: what I was thinking of was that the barb catches only on mammals and birds (skinned creatures). The barb apparently doesn't catch on other insects with exoskeletens (or is inserted less deeply) so a bee doesn't need to off itself in order to defend the hive from other buggos.

People who are so scared of wasps, they act like a spitting cobra is lurching towards them whenever a solitary bloody insect appears within 10 fucking feet of them. Fucking pack it in, it's only a fucking wasp.
My daughter says hello

Self inflicted madness!

On the subject of insects, four days in and the balloon-foot swelling has finally started to go down after a horsefly bite.

Never even seen one before never mind bitten, but bloody hell, those bastards hurt.

I feel ya, two daughters and wife are absolutely petrified of the things and have also been camping recently. There is no manly way to flail about with a tea-towel so i've just kind of given up trying.

Bees? Wasps?
Ya bunch of wimps, try .......
Fucking Scorpions, now there's a bunch of bastards.

On the subject of insects, four days in and the balloon-foot swelling has finally started to go down after a horsefly bite.

Never even seen one before never mind bitten, but bloody hell, those bastards hurt.
Mrs jelly has really bad reactions to horse flies every year. Tip - cover your legs with a body cream or lotion (suncream or normal body lotion is fine it doesn't need to be insect repellent).
I always thought she was milking it ( no idea why, she's far harder than I am) until I got done at a bowls match last year. Fuck me it hurt!

Horse flies have a long sting and the fucking thing goes in under your skin and then the fucker starts pushing!
That's why the raised poisonous lump on your leg is about 2" long.
Yes they really hurt!

I dont feckin believe it.
I haven't had a scorpion in the house for two full summers proceeding this one, since the fires. Not in the wood pile, under a rock, or coming up the pipes.
Today i post a comment on this thread re scorps, and what happens ... i go into the kitchen to make a brew, and was honestly thinking, and laughing a bit, that it would be just my luck to have a scorp tonight, since mentioning them today.
Yes you guessed it, switch on kitchen light and theres one scuttling across the kitchen floor.
He's dead of course, but i think from now on i will only post on this thread about winning the lottery.

Mrs jelly has really bad reactions to horse flies every year. Tip - cover your legs with a body cream or lotion (suncream or normal body lotion is fine it doesn't need to be insect repellent).
I always thought she was milking it ( no idea why, she's far harder than I am) until I got done at a bowls match last year. Fuck me it hurt!

Yes thanks, I’m normally covered in insect repellent when out on the bike trails or walking the dog on the common but this bastard was in the driveway while I was washing the car. Bloody sore and a fair old swelling on the foot to be fair.

Had a bit of a read up after that and it’s only the females that bite apparently to use the blood to feed the eggs after fertilisation. Also, they don’t bite as such, they have several serrated mouth sections that slice through the skin which is why it’s so painful at the time.

Wouldn’t ordinarily be interested in such things but was curious as to why those bloody things hurt so much. I guess the swelling and reactions affect individuals differently but wowser, I don’t envy your wife if she’s particularly susceptible to that!

Noticed a few going in and out of the eaves last year, bought some wasp spray climbed up the ladders and sprayed like fuck.
A day later i went up to check and there was at least a hundred dead in the guttering, fucking little bastards.

Back