• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Who knows, I was just contending that if we spent £20m on a player I wouldn't say it's a definite that they're locked in as starters from the off
Don't think anyone is saying that, what they're saying is the club needs to sign someone who is a definite starter. If we spend £20 million on one centre half he needs to be ready, if he isn't the club have failed again.

I think what people are saying is a Fofana type player, he's gone straight into a Leicester team and looked very good, not long turned 20, so they are out there.....finding one isn't that easy obviously.

I get that, but we've had discussions in previous windows where plenty of people have asserted that upgrading or getting competitive cover for our best players is nigh on impossible.

Therefore why make it more difficult for ourselves by looking for players who not only tick our other boxes, but do it at a very young age, to boot?

You're not going to get many 20/21 year old centre backs that will be good enough though so we will more than likely be looking at someone 24 or older.

Nail on the head.

We do just fine financially (in footballing terms anyway) but even we can't afford to be regularly chucking away £20m+ on players who don't play. Difference with say, RAN is that he might develop beyond that one day - although in himself, he isn't worth that right now - whereas Willian José would be a horrific use of money (I appreciate most people are now coming round to the idea that he just isn't very good, and worse yet he doesn't try either).

We're already resigned to losing a big chunk of what we invested in Cutrone, maybe even all of it if he ends up on the endless slow loan train out of Molineux for the rest of his contract. We can't keep doing that, Fosun won't do what Moshiri/Usmanov do at Everton and routinely write off crazy fees on loads of players. They aren't in it for that.

So if you're good enough you're old enough which was the point made at the start.

No, the point slink made that I agreed with is that the pool of appropriate 19/20 year olds is tiny so we'll probably be looking at older.

Which is what I suggested at the start

No, the point slink made that I agreed with is that the pool of appropriate 19/20 year olds is tiny so we'll probably be looking at older.

Which is what I suggested at the start
I think you just want to argue black is white so I'll leave you to it.

I think you just want to argue black is white so I'll leave you to it.

Well I'm not gonna agree with you that saying 'we'll be looking for someone 24 or older' is the same as saying 'if you're good enough you're old enough', so probably for the best! 😅

We'll be looking for a CB who the club will believe will be good enough to start for the first team and he will have an age

If we end up signing a CB who is between 19 and 22, has already played significant games at a high level and is ready for the PL I'll be pleasantly surprised, as I imagine we'll be queuing up behind a large chunk of the world's elite football clubs for that kind of profile

We do just fine financially (in footballing terms anyway) but even we can't afford to be regularly chucking away £20m+ on players who don't play. Difference with say, RAN is that he might develop beyond that one day - although in himself, he isn't worth that right now -
The problem with RAN is your best case is he doesn't play as he's behind a 27 year old, who is significantly better. We aren't going to be in Europe, chucked both cups both this and last season and Nuno ordinarily isn't much of a rotator so when does he develop? You are in danger of creating another MGW.

The problem with RAN is your best case is he doesn't play as he's behind a 27 year old, who is significantly better. We aren't going to be in Europe, chucked both cups both this and last season and Nuno ordinarily isn't much of a rotator so when does he develop? You are in danger of creating another MGW.
And if we don't sign him, and Jonny takes a knock (he's had injuries in the previous two season too even before the ACL) and Marcal is the only back up we are in trouble again...

And if we don't sign him, and Jonny takes a knock (he's had injuries in the previous two season too even before the ACL) and Marcal is the only back up we are in trouble again...

People are relaxed about that kind of scenario with Raul, and he's our best player!

People are relaxed about that kind of scenario with Raul, and he's our best player!
And people get quite a lot of stick for it too... (plus I'm also not sure I've seen many if any say we should go into next season with Raul and Fabio the only two forward options - I still advocate a wide player who can play there)

I think you sign a back up from the Championship like Rico Henry for 1/3 of the price or bring Vinagre back.

And people get quite a lot of stick for it too... (plus I'm also not sure I've seen many if any say we should go into next season with Raul and Fabio the only two forward options - I still advocate a wide player who can play there)
Yep, that's where I am. Having three number nines is a waste given how we play. We aren't ever going to play a conventional 4-4-2.

We need a better version of Cav. Or the new Jota. Whatever.

Let's say we signed someone of José's alleged profile (I'm not so sure we haven't been Tyson Nunezed here :D ) but who can actually play football. Well Fabio would never, ever, ever play, would he? And a loan isn't the answer either.

I think you sign a back up from the Championship like Rico Henry for 1/3 of the price or bring Vinagre back.
I'll have to make sure you bring your wallet if we go to the pub. You seem to think Brentford sell at Wetherspoons prices, it's more like one of those high-faluting gin joints :D

Rico Henry would cost MORE than RAN, not less.

Yep, that's where I am. Having three number nines is a waste given how we play. We aren't ever going to play a conventional 4-4-2.

We need a better version of Cav. Or the new Jota. Whatever.

Let's say we signed someone of José's alleged profile (I'm not so sure we haven't been Tyson Nunezed here :D ) but who can actually play football. Well Fabio would never, ever, ever play, would he? And a loan isn't the answer either.
Yeah, I haven't had a think about who fits that profile yet though. I'm a big fan of Lookman and would love us to go for him but he wouldn't help solve that issue really.

Yeah, I haven't had a think about who fits that profile yet though. I'm a big fan of Lookman and would love us to go for him but he wouldn't help solve that issue really.
I did put s list up....

Rafa Leao would be my choice if Milan really are in financial dire straits and need to sell or if Fosun fancy splashing serious money.

Back