• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

There are huge amounts to play for, finishing position can reflex bonuses for the players and then plus the benefit of being more attractive to future targets. Fancy coming to play for a team than ended well and finished 10th, or just gave up with a 1/4qtr of the season to go.

I don't think there is a single player who is thinking the way some of you lot seem to be thinking.

I bet secretly most are including Nuno. Get home to their families, have a break, go to a tournament, start again next season with things back to something resembling normal

There are huge amounts to play for, finishing position can reflex bonuses for the players and then plus the benefit of being more attractive to future targets. Fancy coming to play for a team than ended well and finished 10th, or just gave up with a 1/4qtr of the season to go.

I don't think there is a single player who is thinking the way some of you lot seem to be thinking.
Prospective signings won't care whether we finished 10th or 12th in a season that's already done and dusted. A complete irrelevance.

Not to say that we shouldn't change our approach at times (that first half hour in particular was baffling, I wouldn't mind betting that a Steve Bruce team has NEVER dominated the ball like that in a Premier League game, anywhere he's been since 2002) or that we should just give up, it's just all pretty much immaterial.

We chucked the cup, that was our choice that I disagreed with then and disagree with now. From then on the season was done in any meaningful manner.

Excellent, I see what you're doing here... You said the same in the lead up to our previous 4 games and we got 10 points. Keep up the good work ;) :ROFLMAO:
I'm a Wolves fan. We never think we're going to win, but if we do it's a bonus.

Last edited:
The thing that's really bugging me, is not the formation or players chosen - it's the way we approach games (as more than one person has said) and that won't be resolved by changing personal (although with a better defence it might?). If we approach games in a passive fashion now we'll do that with a new CB / Raul back in the team. The thing that bugs me is that there is only one way we can really change that.

To be honest a centre forward who actually moves or shows any kind of interest in getting involved in the game will make a difference. A huge problem yesterday is a Newcastle attack would break down...and within five seconds it's coming straight back at us because we had no outlet whatsoever. Nothing to aim for aerially, nothing to play into because Subbuteo man was daydreaming as ever in a completely useless position.

We may as well have had a traffic cone up front. Same level of movement and probably better control.

The thing that's really bugging me, is not the formation or players chosen - it's the way we approach games (as more than one person has said) and that won't be resolved by changing personal (although with a better defence it might?). If we approach games in a passive fashion now we'll do that with a new CB / Raul back in the team. The thing that bugs me is that there is only one way we can really change that.
you mean by changing our manager? Really like Nuno and I hope he can switch our tactics around to play more offensively and try to win games rather than avoid to lose games

Didn't seem to affect the decision making of James signing for Everton who rang it in for the entirety of Project Restart.

Nobody is suggesting reverting to Everton and putting out abject performances as they did down here last season but rather using the time constructively in a no pressure environment (where there is no doubt of relegation or the mouthbreathers giving a youngster the "Keogh treatment") to give proper minutes to Vitinia, RAN and MGW to make decisions on their futures and likewise get the players who will make up the personnel in a 4-4-2 used to playing those roles.

Or

We could play the same formation we have the last two years, learn nothing, take a wild punt on whether the aforementioned are good enough going forwards and start next season playing a formation we aren't yet comfortable in either with £40m worth of new signings which aren't good enough or the players return to their parent clubs clubs and tear it up.

I’m not sure what your point is. I don’t want to give up, I want the manager to use it as an extended pre season to “find solutions” both in terms of players already here and whether to keep them and who we need, plus also a style/system which can see us compete with the top 6.

We could have won last night and been in the hunt for 10th. But it’s not telling us anything. 13 points from 15 - yay we’re going to win the league next year. Of course not, the points have exceeded the performances recently. Same as the points were much lower than the performances in the bad spell.

Id rather lose a few in the short term but show signs of progress and know who to keep and who to buy, rather than scrape a few results and be non the wiser and more than likely be sitting mid table in October again.

Last edited:
Depends on the maturity of the individual

Perhaps, but we currently only really have Neto who seems to be making much headway out of our current crop. I'm not sure adding to it this summer is wise.

We've already got Hoever, RAN, Vitinha, Otasowie, MGW and Fabio struggling for minutes, and that's with few senior players in front of them pulling up trees and nothing to really play for

Let's buy some actual adults this summer who can come in and play

Didn't particularly enjoy the game TBH - we're so much better than that, and I can't help but feel that the players are enjoying this season about as much as I am. And that's not all that much at all.

Afraid I've not seen anything in Jose that would warrant paying for him permanently in the summer. He actually reminds me of Jake Cassidy when the ball is in the area - less movement than a glacier. With Raul, you expect a challenge for the ball when its played into the danger area. I never get that with WJ - its like he's expecting the ball to fall for him perfectly every time. Definitely a no from me.

Perhaps, but we currently only really have Neto who seems to be making much headway out of our current crop. I'm not sure adding to it this summer is wise.

We've already got Hoever, RAN, Vitinha, Otasowie, MGW and Fabio struggling for minutes, and that's with few senior players in front of them pulling up trees and nothing to really play for

Let's buy some actual adults this summer who can come in and play
That's exactly my point. If they ready to come in and improve our team then they're old enough IMHO of course

BTW think we need to recognise Neves becoming our joint top scorer. 5 goals in 9 is an excellent return. Admittedly penalties in there too but still got to put them away.

To be honest a centre forward who actually moves or shows any kind of interest in getting involved in the game will make a difference. A huge problem yesterday is a Newcastle attack would break down...and within five seconds it's coming straight back at us because we had no outlet whatsoever. Nothing to aim for aerially, nothing to play into because Subbuteo man was daydreaming as ever in a completely useless position.

We may as well have had a traffic cone up front. Same level of movement and probably better control.
The corner which eventually led to Silva's header that was saved by Dubravka, was as a result of Silva's aerial challenge which was cleared by Clarke. Silva showed more physical presence in his short time on the park than Jose did in the whole time he spent there.

Back