• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

“Far superior” is some stretch. Don’t think there’s much in it. Dunk offers that increased physicality, set piece threat and leadership.

Id be happy with either, but if the financials were the same for both then it would be Dunk for me.
My view is Tarkowski is the slightly better defender but Dunk offers a bit more on set pieces..so not much in it as you say..would be happy with either too

Dunk scores more goals, but that’s not my primary requirement in a defender - tarkowski’s positioning and reading of the game is a level above Dunks.

just because I like stats...

Lewis Dunk has a total of 17 blocks, 82 ariel duels and a total number of 63 tackles.

James Tarkowski has a total of 23 blocks, 141 ariel duels and a total number of 71 tackles.

Tarkowski is second on interceptions in own half and arial duels in own half in the premier league.

Dunk is 11th on interceptions, and 28th on arial duels

I think any natural centre half of Championship level or higher would improve our aerial defending. None of Saiss, Coady or Dendoncker attack the ball or sense danger in that way. It was Donck yesterday, but it's been the other 2 plus Semedo in other games. Hayden should have scored after 10 mins from a free header. Bennett did a grand job and way overexceeded my expectations, but it was time to move on. The fact he'd probably get a game says more about our recruitment in the last couple of years in that area than whether we should have kept him
The key point about our recruitment the last couple of years is apart from a Real Madrid reserve who was clearly out of his depth we haven’t signed a centre half. If we keep playing inadequate players there we have to set up to protect them and as a result have abandoned any plan to be better in possession.

Greedily I'd want someone a bit younger than Tarkowski, and with a bit more pace.

How have Leicester found someone like Fofana? We've been crying out for someone like him.

just because I like stats...

Lewis Dunk has a total of 17 blocks, 82 ariel duels and a total number of 63 tackles.

James Tarkowski has a total of 23 blocks, 141 ariel duels and a total number of 71 tackles.

Tarkowski is second on interceptions in own half and arial duels in own half in the premier league.

Dunk is 11th on interceptions, and 28th on arial duels
That just shows that Burnley are shit and their defenders are under more pressure.

Brighton’s well documented problems are they can’t score. Missing two penalties is scandalous and would’ve taken them to relative safety. Defensively they’re under little pressure.

That just shows that Burnley are shit and their defenders are under more pressure.

Brighton’s well documented problems are they can’t score. Missing two penalties is scandalous and would’ve taken them to relative safety. Defensively they’re under little pressure.
Unlike Brighton who dominate the game?

their possession is mostly in their own half

Greedily I'd want someone a bit younger than Tarkowski, and with a bit more pace.

How have Leicester found someone like Fofana? We've been crying out for someone like him.
Leicester have the excellent Jonny Evans and the beast that is Coyuncu to play with Fofana all 3 are true CB’s.

We’ve got 1.

The key point about our recruitment the last couple of years is apart from a Real Madrid reserve who was clearly out of his depth we haven’t signed a centre half. If we keep playing inadequate players there we have to set up to protect them and as a result have abandoned any plan to be better in possession.
We signed a rch in the Summer, it's just that he wasn't for now. That's a well trodden discussion though

Their finishing is crap, no one will deny that - but they defend deep too. They don’t play defensively massively different to Burnley, it’s just that outside of defensive positions they try and pass it rather than Burnley’s humping it.

I think any natural centre half of Championship level or higher would improve our aerial defending. None of Saiss, Coady or Dendoncker attack the ball or sense danger in that way. It was Donck yesterday, but it's been the other 2 plus Semedo in other games. Hayden should have scored after 10 mins from a free header. Bennett did a grand job and way overexceeded my expectations, but it was time to move on. The fact he'd probably get a game says more about our recruitment in the last couple of years in that area than whether we should have kept him
I used to be a proponent of Donk in the RCB position because I thought he'd give us more with the ball at his feet, but he just isn't. Couple that with his defensive short comings and it's double negative rather than a positive along with a negative.

Hopefully we'll address this in the summer or we'll have 3 ATB next season too. A good CB and a good CM in the summer, a kind season injury wise and I think next season won't be too bad

Their finishing is crap, no one will deny that - but they defend deep too. They don’t play defensively massively different to Burnley, it’s just that outside of defensive positions they try and pass it rather than Burnley’s humping it.
Brighton are 5th in chances created and 4th in chances against (lower is better).

Their conversion rate and conceding rates are 14th and 10th respectively. That’s the wrong ratio.

Reference

I've seen him use the ball well from that position in the past, but he definitely isn't doing it now. He's had a horrible season all told, offered nothing on the ball when he was in midfield and missed at least 5-6 very good chances (still on 0 goals, he should actually be our top scorer based on opportunities), now he isn't defending properly, looks slow (even for him) and we don't even get the pay off of having a good footballer there, God knows what his pass completion rate was yesterday. Not very much! He's only played so many games as we keep getting injuries everywhere. On merit he wouldn't be in the team.

Ryan Bennett is in the Championship for a reason though and if he's lucky that's where Max Kilman will end up, he isn't the answer either.

I have seen Otasowie play well at centre half for the 23s :D

The link to Koussounou seems to make sense based on our needs.

Dunk has good distribution too. Hes made 609 successful long passes to Conors 685.

Admittedly Coady has more in 30 fewer appearances but it does show Dunk has the ability to do that in addition to the things he does better than Conor if we went down that road.

Whilst he would be Boly’s competition I think we need a Coady upgrade for a 4 and that means leadership too.
Coadys leadership will be hard to upgrade

Back