• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

That’s not correct. I agree with all the stuff about his lack of movement and quality in the box, but more than a few times he dropped deep and played balls into the mids and IFs.
At nearly half time Jose hasn't played a single pass to a Wolves player according to opta. He played a couple of simple balls after dropping deep second half but his contribution is so small it's just a waste of time having him on the pitch he isn't good enough

I can't remember the last time WJ had a shot - Palace maybe? Just not good enough, and it isn't just Neto and Traore being selfish.

The more i see of Silva the more convinced i am he's going to be top class, i know he didn't score and was again denied by a wonder save but the kids just got the ability to get those chances, the goals will come.

The less said about our tactics and mentality the better though, just when you think Nuno's finally seen it we just drop back into give it to Traore/Neto and hope. Obviously not going down so 4 at the back after City for the rest of the season, no Moutinho etc and let's find out about Vitinha, Otasowie, Silva and RAN. That's what i'd do but obviously this won't happen.

He'd never pull on a Wolves shirt again after that for me.
In the moment on the match thread ok. An hour afterwards though? I get it's a big game for you, but fuck me that's shite. It's undoubtedly pòor defending, but none of our centre halves bar Boly ever attack the ball. It's a massive weakness, but not exclusive to Dendoncker

Let's start with the positives, because there were a few (not many):

- Rui continued his recent good form
- Both the full backs were decent defensively and yet more minutes for Jonny
- Neves had long spells where he was poor but never hid and ended up grabbing us the goal with a good header (even if the keeper should have had it)
- Flashes from Adama and Neto, though the former too often didn't release the ball quickly enough having opened up the space (no real change there) and the latter's shooting was well off tonight
- Fabio very unlucky not to score at the end, couldn't have done much more, nice to see a striker attack a cross (more of which in a minute)

Negatives:

- We look so iffy off crosses. Both from open play and set pieces. Haven't sorted this out all season, even when Boly plays
- Atrocious from Dendoncker on the night. Looked like Paul Butler on the ball and Richard Stearman off it. What on earth is he doing on the goal, jump! Instead he actually ducks. Crazy. Not that we have many other options at the moment, Kilman is worse
- So lax in possession, constantly. Another theme through the season
- How exactly are we letting a Steve Bruce Newcastle team have 70%+ possession for half an hour?! Should be impossible
- José is absolutely shite, another display of standing around never offering a pass, getting brushed off the ball, not challenging in the air, not making proper runs when we break (he goes into areas where he either can't receive it or it would be worthless giving it to him), doesn't even try to go for crosses. Can't abide him as it stands.

We got fortunate, we didn't deserve anything based on our overall performance, payback I guess for the game at Molineux where the exact same applied to them. Keeps the unbeaten run going for er, three days I suppose.

Just hurry up and finish this season. If it were Football Manager I'd probably go on holiday until June.

I still don't understand the passiveness. Against Leeds Iget the concept that you let them burn themselves out and then take the game to them, but against Newcastle, really Nuno? Results have improved, we have our 34 points, but it's still a frustrating watch. By and large 12 nothing games left, please use them to learn things

My question is: do you search for a CDM in the summer and push Neves further forward to dictate the play, or do we try and directly replace Moutinho like for like?

I'm quite enjoying Neves breaking into the box and linking up play at the moment.

The issue I have is for large portions of the game teams are performing how we should be and doing to us what we should be doing to them.

My question is: do you search for a CDM in the summer and push Neves further forward to dictate the play, or do we try and directly replace Moutinho like for like?

I'm quite enjoying Neves breaking into the box and linking up play at the moment.
I wonder if we would go back in for Palhinha. He's had a great season

Oh yeah, there's me thinking Mike Dean might go through a game without a bit of nonsense. Sadly not.

Corner, Rui punches it clear and lamps Coady in the process, ball is with no-one, whistle for a head injury. All correct so far.

What you then don't do is just hand Newcastle the ball 30 yards out. They didn't have it! Crazy stuff. Thankfully Shelvey is shite so nothing happened.

Oh yeah, there's me thinking Mike Dean might go through a game without a bit of nonsense. Sadly not.

Corner, Rui punches it clear and lamps Coady in the process, ball is with no-one, whistle for a head injury. All correct so far.

What you then don't do is just hand Newcastle the ball 30 yards out. They didn't have it! Crazy stuff. Thankfully Shelvey is shite so nothing happened.
....after Newcastle lumped it back to Rui after Saiss put the ball out 30 yards from their goal with Moutinho injured. Can the ref demand that the drop ball is uncontested? I was fuming.

I still don't understand the passiveness. Against Leeds Iget the concept that you let them burn themselves out and then take the game to them, but against Newcastle, really Nuno? Results have improved, we have our 34 points, but it's still a frustrating watch. By and large 12 nothing games left, please use them to learn things
We were far more aggressive against Leeds, our approach for most of that game was good

we just need the season to end. I think Nuno wants us to be more aggressive, I think the team/individuals aren’t capable of doing it for 90 minutes (for various reasons).

Sign a career centre half, I know Dias was always a pipe dream, but just look at what he's brought to City defensively. Go 4 at the back and build the side around 4231 Neves plays as one of the deeper midfield 2, but that doesn't stop him getting into the box.

Sign a career centre half, I know Dias was always a pipe dream, but just look at what he's brought to City defensively. Go 4 at the back and build the side around 4231 Neves plays as one of the deeper midfield 2, but that doesn't stop him getting into the box.
I think if you’re going to do that then we need a Frank Lampard style midfielder behind Raul and both Neto and Traore wide.

Two deeper midfielders in Neves and Donk could work but those two CB’s would need to be rock solid. Dunk or Webster?

I think I would prefer us to go with a 4-3-3 Liverpool style personally. Defensively we still need a solid CB. Donk in the deep CDM and Neves and Vitinha as the 8’s you’d need to make it work.

But you’d need to replace either Traore or Neto with a wide forward who could head the ball. An Ocampos type.

Either way our squad is imbalanced for what we have at the club right now. That needs addressing in the summer. As always with Wolves we are 3 players from greatness.

Too passive first half, Adama MOTM, superb header from Neves to equalise and we could have nicked it with Silvas header in the end hitting the underside of the bar...WJ need to go, not doing anything really...we should have defended better for that first first goal, Rui could have kept it

Too passive first half, Adama MOTM, superb header from Neves to equalise and we could have nicked it with Silvas header in the end hitting the underside of the bar...WJ need to go, not doing anything really...we should have defended better for that first first goal, Rui could have kept it
Rui isn't at fault for their goal

Once again the big question is why do we wait until the 80th minute or so to take the handbrake off?

Especially against a perpetual shower of shit like Newcastle?

Needs must against your Cities or (ordinarily) Liverpools but why do we persist in this bullshit shape and passivity against teams who are at the bottom of the table for a fucking reason?

Couldn't give a shit about a point, we've only learned what we knew already and have no desire to improve on; when we stop bowing down to shit opponents we can pin them back and create chances.

Neves was much improved second half, took the goal well, and covered more ground.

Moutinho was quiet.

Neto was quiet, as YW said on the matchday thread, we have to remember he's 20 too so will have odd decisions and the occasional poor showing. Still got the assist though. Unlucky not to get two with Dubravka making a brilliant save from Fab.

Traore was probably our MOTM. Few wild moments (pass in the second shot in the first) but he was making things happen.

Other than that I thought they were all much of a muchness.

Bit of a free hit on Tuesday. Get that our the way and then have a go at Villa.

Agree with pretty much all this.

Also agree with the general disappointment around WJ, I wouldn't necessarily be starting Fabio much still, but would definitely give him longer each game to work up to it. Thought he looked lively when he came on.

Back