• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

A poor performance overall, and I put it down to our tactics. For the first half hour we didn’t press at all, which meant Newcastle had all the play and all the opportunities, other than the few Traore created.

as we got into the second half, both of newcasled goal threats went off and we got more into the game, but still didn’t make any proactive substitutions until the 80th minute when Fabio came on, and almost won it with a late header which dubravka got really lucky with as it hit his shoulder and deflected onto the bar.

the good
Traore was excellent, beating his man and creating some really good opportunities.
Neves worked his arse off and even though his passing wasn’t as good as normal scored a fantastic header.
Patricio made some really good saves
Saiss cleared one off the line
Semedo had a really good game.

the bad
William Jose contributed very little, at times actively running away from the ball (although he was involved in the goal, by.... running away from the ball)
Dendoncker achieved nothing - he can’t defend and contributed nothing to the build up play, was absolutely pointless him bejng there
Nuno - there was no need to play a back three against this absolute dogshit Newcastle team and it completely surrendered possession and gave them the chance to push up the pitch. Secondly, once both of their attacking players went off injured, he didn’t make a proactive sub until the 80th minute. Awful, defensive tactics.

overall, a draw is the right result. It’s not a good result though, because the opposition are awful.

really disappointed with that

Crap. We made an injury hit Newcastle look like a decent side. They were unlucky hitting the post and should have scored when Saiss blocked. Silva very unlucky and must start next time.

Usual week off performance. WJ literally a statue in this game. It's like we have 10 men. Next 3 games will be a struggle to get anything points wise. 3 points here would have helped. Pah....

I disagree, Villa and Liverpool could go either way.

Willian Jose is ridiculously static. Silva offered far more movement and intelligence in the brief cameo than Jose did all game. So far I'd dare say he's worse than Joelinton.

Couldn't have argued with a defeat there, but then we did have the best chance of the game right at the death!

Think this game just sums up how over this season is. As soon as Boly is back, just play a back four. Get Gibbs-White a run in the team as the ten if Podence isn't also back by then.

A more aggressive defender in the box next to Boly solves a lot of our problems I think. None of the three today defend well enough in the penalty area. Also allows us to play higher up the pitch if we get that signing right.
Newcastle's goal could've been prevented if the defence attacked the ball instead of waiting for it to come to them.

Sort of happy with a point, especially as we never looked like scoring until the last 15 mins.

About the right result, I fully expected Newcastle to be more up for this than us.

What's really frustrating is that when we actually tried we were levels above them.

No idea why we didn't start playing sooner
Losing Almiron and Saint Maximin really blunted them. Once they were off they barely threatened. With Wilson already out if they're out for long Newcastle are up shit creek with a canoe let alone a paddle!

Willian Jose is ridiculously static. Silva offered far more movement and intelligence in the brief cameo than Jose did all game. So far I'd dare say he's worse than Joelinton.
Why is he just Joelinten , not £40 million pound Joelinten ?? Is that just a Wolves thing ?

I definitely think WJ (same applies for Fabio) would benefit from a number ten behind him as well as the two wide options. His mobility is an issue for us for sure though.

Newcastle's goal could've been prevented if the defence attacked the ball instead of waiting for it to come to them.
This. We need actual defenders who naturally attack the ball, not midfielders who have to think about it.

Dendoncker's defending for their goal was utterly shameful and gutless. He'd never pull on a Wolves shirt again after that for me.

Once again the big question is why do we wait until the 80th minute or so to take the handbrake off?

Especially against a perpetual shower of shit like Newcastle?

Needs must against your Cities or (ordinarily) Liverpools but why do we persist in this bullshit shape and passivity against teams who are at the bottom of the table for a fucking reason?

Couldn't give a shit about a point, we've only learned what we knew already and have no desire to improve on; when we stop bowing down to shit opponents we can pin them back and create chances.

Neves was much improved second half, took the goal well, and covered more ground.

Moutinho was quiet.

Neto was quiet, as YW said on the matchday thread, we have to remember he's 20 too so will have odd decisions and the occasional poor showing. Still got the assist though. Unlucky not to get two with Dubravka making a brilliant save from Fab.

Traore was probably our MOTM. Few wild moments (pass in the second shot in the first) but he was making things happen.

Other than that I thought they were all much of a muchness.

Bit of a free hit on Tuesday. Get that our the way and then have a go at Villa.

I definitely think WJ (same applies for Fabio) would benefit from a number ten behind him as well as the two wide options. His mobility is an issue for us for sure though.
I think he needs a size 10 up his posterior orifice.

I wanted to see more of WJ but he is adding little or nothing. Him and Vitinha may as well rock off on the showings so far and put the 40 m saved to better use.
Sorry to be harsh but it’s a Fabio miss not a save. He hit it straight at him. Still did more than WJ and it’s another point . Semedo and Neves did well as did Adama once he stayed on his feet. Neto never found his range.
Definitely need to add two or three to this squad if we don’t want a struggle next season.

Bit meh after that although since the Albion debacle we’ve W3D3L1 in the league so not complaining.
We’ve gone back to the ability of being dogged and picking up points when not at our best.
Semedo again one of our better players and showing the ability that we know he’s got.
I thought Traore had a decent game went past players numerous times and won free kicks in good areas.
Frustrating tho how we have large parts of games where we seem insipid.

I don't think I'd start Fabio just yet, but he's genuinely earning more minutes on merit and should be getting around 30 minutes

Back