• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The corner which eventually led to Silva's header that was saved by Dubravka, was as a result of Silva's aerial challenge which was cleared by Clarke. Silva showed more physical presence in his short time on the park than Jose did in the whole time he spent there.
I actually think Silvas confidence grows when he sees WJ fail oddly enough..at least thats my theory

That's exactly my point. If they ready to come in and improve our team then they're old enough IMHO of course

You're not the first to use that cliche on here, and it sounds great, but in reality it just means we'll still be looking at the same old players in the first XI and then you'll be telling me to give (another) new youngster time.

We need at least one player in the summer who can come in and make a difference straight away, before all our momentum from our first two PL seasons dissipates

You're not the first to use that cliche on here, and it sounds great, but in reality it just means we'll still be looking at the same old players in the first XI and then you'll be telling me to give (another) new youngster time.

We need at least one player in the summer who can come in and make a difference straight away, before all our momentum from our first two PL seasons dissipates
I'm not sure how you've misunderstood what I've said. Anyway, I won't be telling you do to anything :)

If we need to give a youngster time then he's not ready to come in and make a difference. What I'm saying is that if a 21/22 year old is ready to come in and make a difference we shouldn't turn him down because he's young.

If we signed Kossounou for £20m+ this summer he'd be going straight into the team, especially if we are playing a back four. He is just one name, there will be plenty of others out there we could target who might be slightly older.

Problem is that you don't know (especially with buying from abroad) whether you're getting William Saliba or Wesley Fofana.

I'm not sure how you've misunderstood what I've said. Anyway, I won't be telling you do to anything :)

If we need to give a youngster time then he's not ready to come in and make a difference. What I'm saying is that if a 21/22 year old is ready to come in and make a difference we shouldn't turn him down because he's young.

Well you've bumped the age up by a year or two there, as we were talking about a player who's just turned 20, but anyway...

We've seen the challenges inherent with signing potential this season, even if players have talent. None of the youngsters we signed have been anything other than bit parts this season, regardless of talent or price tag.

We need at least some players who have a modicum of experience in order to hold down a place in a top 8 challenging PL team. In 2021/22, not the season after, or the season after that

Well you've bumped the age up by a year or two there, as we were talking about a player who's just turned 20, but anyway...

We've seen the challenges inherent with signing potential this season, even if players have talent. None of the youngsters we signed have been anything other than bit parts this season, regardless of talent or price tag.

We need at least some players who have a modicum of experience in order to hold down a place in a top 8 challenging PL team. In 2021/22, not the season after, or the season after that
I'm not disagreeing with you!!

We also need to be aware that even experienced players need time to adjust, I think asking a player to come in and make an impact on day 1 is a huge ask, it's also setting really unfair expectations.

I'm not disagreeing with you!!

We also need to be aware that even experienced players need time to adjust, I think asking a player to come in and make an impact on day 1 is a huge ask, it's also setting really unfair expectations.
Of course, all signings come with an element of risk, but signing 18-20 year olds, especially if they also don't have much first team experience, adds another layer of uncertainty and complication, which imo we could do without in our next window

Rui
Semedo-Boly-CB-Jonny

Is a top 8 defence (IMO). The centre back is very important though. If we spend £20m on Kossounou, it suggests we think is ready to go straight in, like Fofana did for Leicester. He'd have Jonny and Boly around him too. It wouldn't be a hugely young back four and GK.

Yeah, it's more experience than age that's the key factor.

Maddison was still only 21 when Leicester bought him but he'd played 100+ games already for various teams.

Plenty of teams would have happily signed 20 year old Lescott off us had he been up for sale as he'd already played two full seasons for us.

Rui
Semedo-Boly-CB-Jonny

Is a top 8 defence (IMO). The centre back is very important though. If we spend £20m on Kossounou, it suggests we think is ready to go straight in, like Fofana did for Leicester. He'd have Jonny and Boly around him too. It wouldn't be a hugely young back four and GK.

Oh sure, but that hasn't helped Vitinha or Hoever/RAN get games, that's my point. They need to have potential but also be good enough now.

If we go young for these pivotal positions we can't have another Fabio 'project' situation. For me it would need to be someone ready to go straight in. If age and inexperience is a barrier to that, then it'd be a pass for me.

Oh sure, but that hasn't helped Vitinha or Hoever/RAN get games, that's my point. They need to have potential but also be good enough now.

If we go young for these pivotal positions we can't have another Fabio 'project' situation. For me it would need to be someone ready to go straight in. If age and inexperience is a barrier to that, then it'd be a pass for me.
But those are different types of signings to what we are suggesting. I am saying is that if we spent over £20m on this guy, to go into the team, it means he isn't a 'project' type signing or whatever we want to sign, it's because they think he is ready. Whoever it is, whatever their age, they need to be able to impact straight away.

But those are different types of signings to what we are suggesting. I am saying is that if we spent over £20m on this guy, to go into the team, it means he isn't a 'project' type signing or whatever we want to sign, it's because they think he is ready. Whoever it is, whatever their age, they need to be able to impact straight away.
I agree, but I don't think we can necessarily say with all confidence that spending that amount of money on a young player means they definitely go into the side, judging by the fees mooted for RAN and Vitinha, and the fee we paid for Fabio

How can you have potential and the necessary ability now?

I agree, but I don't think we can necessarily say with all confidence that spending that amount of money on a young player means they definitely go into the side, judging by the fees mooted for RAN and Vitinha, and the fee we paid for Fabio
What's the cut-off figure between potential and experience?

How can you have potential and the necessary ability now?

Probably best answered by those who are happier with signing more 19/20 year olds than I am.

But as an example, I imagine you'd be happy with Saka in our team, yet at his age you'd still expect him to potentially get better as he got older. So he'd be good now, and maybe even better later

What's the cut-off figure between potential and experience?

Who knows, I was just contending that if we spent £20m on a player I wouldn't say it's a definite that they're locked in as starters from the off

I think what people are saying is a Fofana type player, he's gone straight into a Leicester team and looked very good, not long turned 20, so they are out there.....finding one isn't that easy obviously.

It's pretty simple isn't it, we need to sign a quality centre back. Doesn't matter how old he is as long as he's good enough to play straight away. You're not going to get many 20/21 year old centre backs that will be good enough though so we will more than likely be looking at someone 24 or older.

Back