• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle v Wolves (Part 2) - MATCHDAY FRED

They weren't this 'hard' when there were 3500 of us in full voice.

all i want to know is how Silvio played, the rest was a run out.

Lasted the full 90 mins, though got clattered hard in the second half at one point

Most of their attacks were down the other side & difficult from the commentary to say how well he did, but didn't sound exposed at any point

Maybe they get a few of their dicks turn up for league cup like we did with Notts County a couple of seasons ago.

A cup run would have been nice but fuck it, take the extra minutes gained for the likes of Silvio, John and Hause and move on.

Sounds like Silvio and John were positives. That will do me. We aren't going to win this at the moment so we move on to the only important thing. 3 more league points on Saturday.

Sounds like Silvio and John were positives. That will do me. We aren't going to win this at the moment so we move on to the only important thing. 3 more league points on Saturday.

Ola John was poor tbh. Beat his man 3 or 4 times and then lost the ball. Though that was an upgrade on Jed Wallace.

Gladon was better than the other week but that wasn't difficult tbh.

Geordies throwing bricks at the coaches.

No verdict thread, then? Wouldn't mind seeing some player ratings.

FWIW Spiers has named Ola John as his MOTM.

Lonergan: 6 wasn't at fault for goals but incredibly slow in distribution
CBJ: 6 partly at fault for the goal, other than that he'd have been a 7
Iorfa/Hause: 7 for them both. Played pretty well
Silvio: 7, got forward well, defended well but looked lightweight
Coady: 7 played well but with no movement ahead of him couldn't do much. Had to play it backwards to often. Motm for me
Saville: 6 didn't hide, but didn't have a good game possibly at fault for at least one goal
Tex: 6 tried to influence the game but didn't track well enough for a central mid role
Wallace: 4 missed two sitters
Mason: 5 anonymous
Gladon: 5 better than his last run out, few nice touches but he can't jump and is always offside.

Ola John: 6 kept beating the same man repeatedly and then not releasing the ball. Should have scored, looked rusty but with tricks
Price: 6 brought on to add an attacking threat - punched high up. Did ok at a role that's unusual.
Bodvarsson: 7 on for 10 mins in a dead rubber of a game, tried hard and made us more dynamic.

89 minutes and nothing from the Geordies apart from some back to back chants by about 6 Wolves fans and 30 toon fans. Suddenly all the chavvy little pricks came streaming up from right at the front and got very mouthy. Stewards and police tried to funnel them back down to the exits.
Full time they rushed out and round to the one main exit the Wolves fans were being let out from. A bottle was thrown and hit an old guy on the head, splitting it open. Managed to get out of an exit away from the pricks.
So sad that after the great atmosphere on Saturday a bunch of teens spoilt it

I think 2-0 was a harsh result. Wallace was clean through against their keeper, but lacked composure in front of goal. Coady for me was OK, but lacked distribution. CBJ, for me had a good game and the defense in general played well. I liked Silvio and think his distribution, technical ability and footballing brain, will make him a very useful addition. He was fouled very badly, with a very late tackle and was down in agony for a few minutes. I was worried at the time, that he was seriously injured.
The average age of the Newcastle fans looking for trouble at the end, was about 13. They only came next to where the Wolves supporters were, in the last 10 minutes, they really were pathetic. The Newcastle did get a big crowd, but I have seen more of an atmosphere at Kidderminster Harriers. Unbelievably quiet, even though they were winning 2-0.
The Wolves team tonight, would have beaten the first Wolves team of last year. There was some nice passing and movement, apart from in attack. We weren't outclassed and there was nothing to be ashamed of, about our performance.
The future looks very bright for Wolves. Our best team, could do some serious damage in this league. If we can be up near the top for Christmas, anything is possible!

Positive to hear about Silvio - I'm excited to what he can add to the side.

I think 2-0 was a harsh result. Wallace was clean through against their keeper, but lacked composure in front of goal. Coady for me was OK, but lacked distribution. CBJ, for me had a good game and the defense in general played well. I liked Silvio and think his distribution, technical ability and footballing brain, will make him a very useful addition. He was fouled very badly, with a very late tackle and was down in agony for a few minutes. I was worried at the time, that he was seriously injured.
The average age of the Newcastle fans looking for trouble at the end, was about 13. They only came next to where the Wolves supporters were, in the last 10 minutes, they really were pathetic. The Newcastle did get a big crowd, but I have seen more of an atmosphere at Kidderminster Harriers. Unbelievably quiet, even though they were winning 2-0.
The Wolves team tonight, would have beaten the first Wolves team of last year. There was some nice passing and movement, apart from in attack. We weren't outclassed and there was nothing to be ashamed of, about our performance.
The future looks very bright for Wolves. Our best team, could do some serious damage in this league. If we can be up near the top for Christmas, anything is possible!

I was watching the live stream on FB, and could not believe how quiet it was for a crowd of over 30k. Dismal atmosphere.

I am disappointed that yet again we have failed to have a decent cup run., but hopefully now we will stop having mass changes every game

I am disappointed that yet again we have failed to have a decent cup run., but hopefully now we will stop having mass changes every game

I think you'll be disappointed when you find out we are living in the 21st Century.

How many managers play their strongest side in the early rounds of any cups nowadays Frank?

I think you'll find the answer is roughly zero. Well unless they are non-league teams in the FA Cup that is.

It would have been rank idiocy to play a 'full strength' side last night. We're slap bang in the middle of a run of 7 games in 21 days, fuck this meaningless competition. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they scrapped the league cup completely next season.

It would have been rank idiocy to play a 'full strength' side last night. We're slap bang in the middle of a run of 7 games in 21 days, fuck this meaningless competition. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they scrapped the league cup completely next season.

Bang on.

Back