• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Next Manager chat.

It could go either way. It's a great opportunity for him to resurrect his career, and if he can't, he won't last very long.
Yeah - I think Fosun have shown that they won't tolerate failure. Huge job for Lambert.

If only he could get Paul Butler as his assistant.
Wait...did someone already do that one?

For me, Lambert ticks one big box: "have you won promotion from the Championship?" There was time when I'd have been ecstatic about getting Lambert: now I feel he has a bit to prove. As YW says, it's a fantastic opportunity for him and if he doesn't take it, Fosun have shown they'll act quickly.
Main things I want to see are square pegs in square holes, a recognisable style of football and a willingness to attack

Underwhelmed with Lambert and a tad wary of his recent record (I know Villa & Blackburn are sinking ships but he chose to go to both at the end of the day and I'd have preferred someone with some recent success on their CV). I will back him, as I do with every man in charge - but I just feel he's a bit of an easy option.

Underwhelmed with Lambert and a tad wary of his recent record (I know Villa & Blackburn are sinking ships but he chose to go to both at the end of the day and I'd have preferred someone with some recent success on their CV). I will back him, as I do with every man in charge - but I just feel he's a bit of an easy option.

What did you think when we appointed Mick after his Sunderland team had flopped so badly in the Premier League?

Lambert got Norwich from League One to the Premier League and kept them up with ease with a squad full of football league journeyman players. He took the Villa job knowing full well his remit was to slash the wage bill and kept them up too.

What did you think when we appointed Mick after his Sunderland team had flopped so badly in the Premier League?

Lambert got Norwich from League One to the Premier League and kept them up with ease with a squad full of football league journeyman players. He took the Villa job knowing full well his remit was to slash the wage bill and kept them up too.

Which he successfully achieved, just look at how they have gone since.

I'm fairly ambivalent about him being appointed, I do think he has the core skills to succeed I just hope we get to see it.

I'm just disappointed he doesn't have the same legendary sense of humour that Nigel Pearson has.

Who'll be his assistant do we reckon? Keane? Culverhouse? Edwards?

Keane left Villa because he didn't feel he could do that and work with Ireland, which is fair enough so I can't see it being him.

Someone summed up my feelings on here earlier in the week in saying that Lambert, Pearson etc would all be perfectly acceptable candidates if we were still up for sale and drifting along under Morgan. Practical, functional, unlikely to be disasters but won't set the pulse raising. Mick filled that criteria when he was appointed when we were also drifting and up for sale, he was my choice at the time and was undoubtedly a good appointment even if you could question whether he should have left earlier.

With the excitement and potential of Fosun, I'd have liked to see an appointment with a bit more vision rather than looking for the best out of work British manager with Championship experience, which in fairness to Tim II he called over a week ago. Ultimately that brief was always going to bring a bit of a meh feeling for many when the appointment was eventually made and if that was the brief now we should have just given Bruce the job back in August.

On the plus side.A least Fosun reacted quickly with Walt, and i think they have taken the safe route this time with their choice, knowing of course they can fire Lambert a lot faster than it took to hire him.
He has a good record with Norwich, and frankly didn't stand a chance with Villa and Werner, though kept them up for a while, and the less said about Venky's the better.

However, I find it wierd that Fosun having chosen Lipatagui or whatever he's called and lost him to the Spanish job, that the only remaining candidate was Walt.
This suggests to me they probably didn't do a lot of homework on managers before buying the club, and certainly haven't been looking that far while watching Walt go from brilliant to unfathomable week after week.
(Easy to say in hindsight for me from here, but there have been many on he forum making scary noises re Walt for a while now.)

So I am fingers seriously crossed that we get the Norwich Lambert, who seriously wants to put his previous two jobs behind him, and can use the financial clout the club now has to make a serious difference, both between now and January and in the transfer window.

Weighing up all that has gone before both for Wolves and Fosun, as well as Lambert, I am expecting a new broom, an exciting style of play being set for the club, the proper use of some seriously talented players now on the books, and some steel tipped toe cap boots with regard to some of the remnants of Jackett's barmy army.

Fingers well and truly crossed.

Jesus Christ the reaction to this on that wolves news Facebook page. People calling for him to be sacked, he's not even been appointed yet. Idiots.

Jesus Christ the reaction to this on that wolves news Facebook page. People calling for him to be sacked, he's not even been appointed yet. Idiots.

tenor.gif

I like how Steve Bruce is now the unequivocal answer to everything. Even though he's made the exact same start at Villa as Zenga did with Wolves. And chucked away a lead in two local derbies. And brought Agbonlahor back into the fold, which is like if Ken had welcomed back Roger Johnson.

At least Lambert hasn't relegated multiple teams from the Premier League yet.

If it is to be him then we will all have to get on with it & I would hope support him (at least initially - ultimately it will be performanes & results which determine how it goes from there)

Did some decent work with Norwich & whilst his reputation has been on a downward path since he will see this as an opportunity to restore his standing. Whether he can will be seen, he's not that old and can't see that he would want what could be a career ending term of office at this level.

tenor.gif

I like how Steve Bruce is now the unequivocal answer to everything. Even though he's made the exact same start at Villa as Zenga did with Wolves. And chucked away a lead at home in two local derbies. And brought Agbonlahor back into the fold, which is like if Ken had welcomed back Roger Johnson.

Yeah but Lambert hasn't written a series of groundbreaking novels.

If you're going to go for an out-of-work manager, almost by definition you are looking for someone who fucked up his previous job. There are obviously degrees of fucking up and different reasons behind each one, but you're never going to be choosing from the cream of the current crop of managers. If they think Lambert's the best that's in the 99p bin, then so be it.

tenor.gif

I like how Steve Bruce is now the unequivocal answer to everything. Even though he's made the exact same start at Villa as Zenga did with Wolves. And chucked away a lead at home in two local derbies. And brought Agbonlahor back into the fold, which is like if Ken had welcomed back Roger Johnson.

OK, I'll bite:
He also has 4 promotions from this league.
We aren't appointing a manager for the Premier League
Read your own critique of the Villa squad he inherited on the Manager thread
For your Johnson analogy see O'Hara.
They were away to Blues.

It's not an appointment I'd have been happy with in August, but we may as well have gone there then rather than waste 1/4 of a season under Zenga and then appointed a manager with the criteria that he would probably have been the best candidate for if available

I'm not saying he's an obviously terrible manager (though I don't want him here), I just don't get how his reputation soars with every passing day. I really don't think there's that much to split him and Lambert at this stage. Lambert's Norwich played way better football than I've ever seen from 15+ years of Steve Bruce teams.

Back