• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Old Gold

Newbridge Wolf

Reaction score
Not sure if this will cheer people up or make them even more depressed, but a friend shared a link to a classic game and I thought it might cheer a few up on here. For those who maybe remember it, and for the likes of me who are, of course way too young, the chance to see us play with a great team.

A thread to post videos/photos from better years!

Hopefully this works - mods feel free to merge if duplicate thread

What a team we had back then...

Those were the days. We won the league cup a few months later. My first season as a fan

The team I grew up watching. Very happy days and memories for me.

Thats great, thanks for posting it. This is the team I remember most in my early Wolves supporting career, most of my fav Wolves players feature in this

More of the same, its hard for me to see this. In my life time we have barely been in the top flight, my supporting life we have been in for 4 years, 2 of which we were relegated. To see us competing and beating one of the European greats is something I doubt my sons will see let alone me.

The history of Wolves is great, but the game has moved on so much, and I feel we have stuttered and fallen by the wayside in some aspects. I still love them but I dont think of us ever being able to challenge like this again

If you like these videos this is the chaps You tube channel, he has some amazing videos on there

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxYldqqQli4fiH9AMhXbvrg

Last edited:
The run to the UEFA cup final was an amazing journey, but in my opinion the victory against Juventus was the icing on the cake. Wolves were the underdogs, and even after getting a draw in Italy, few gave us much hope on the second leg. I have said on many an occasion, and make no apologies for doing so again, but that night at Molineux when we beat the mighty Juve must rank as the best game I have seen. Wolves were superb.

My family wasn't originally from Wolverhampton, so when I started supporting Wolves it was like a complete learning experience.

I enjoyed the history of the club, and learning about how great we had been, I always remember a book I used to get out from the library that had all our seasons and achievements etc from when we were founded. Two things stood out for me in that book, 1 of them that we had beaten Juventus in the UEFA cup, only to get into the first ever all English European final and loose it to Spurs (how very like us!)

The second was oddly enough the record of a striker from the 60's Ted Farmer, who if he would have not had to retire through injury would have surely bagged an amazing total of goals.

Likewise, the team I grew up watching. I don't remember that game, but I do remember bunking off school for a midweek game at Leeds, played in the afternoon because of the power cuts, around the same time. It's also chilling to realise a number of players on both sides are no longer with us.

Enjoyed that. Bit before my time alas. Iorfa couldn't smash one in like Zico did .. and he probably couldn't defend like him.

The state of those haircuts! :icon_lol:

And what a peach from Jeff Palmer. Even today they don't hit them like that too often!

Was always fascinated by the teams before my time growing up. My dad had the Molineux Magic videos when I was a kid and would sit and watch them.

My family wasn't originally from Wolverhampton, so when I started supporting Wolves it was like a complete learning experience.

I enjoyed the history of the club, and learning about how great we had been, I always remember a book I used to get out from the library that had all our seasons and achievements etc from when we were founded. Two things stood out for me in that book, 1 of them that we had beaten Juventus in the UEFA cup, only to get into the first ever all English European final and loose it to Spurs (how very like us!)

The second was oddly enough the record of a striker from the 60's Ted Farmer, who if he would have not had to retire through injury would have surely bagged an amazing total of goals.

I've read the Ted Farmer book about his Wolves career and the injury etc. I'm sure it was called The Heartbreak Game if anyone out there wants to read it.

With regards to the Juventus game was it Bill McGarry that pulled a masterstroke for the away fixture by inviting John Charles along with the Wolves team? Instead of arriving into a bear pit of hostility the Juve fans were so keen to welcome John Charles that the atmosphere was quite welcoming for the Wolves team.

Mike Bailey in the engine room.Phil Park's having a good game in the video. Thunder bolt from Palmer who ended up in west midlands police I believe. I love some of the facial expressions Doog shows. Priceless. Also that was a poor game for Pat Jennings. Beaton from distance several times. We would howl if Ikeme let those in now. Pitch looked bumpy. Jennings was considered the best keeper from about then after Gordon Banks lost an eye. Shilton replaced Banks at Stoke. Jennings had huge hands. In 1990 I met him when he was an after dinner speaker. Hands like shovels.

I've read the Ted Farmer book about his Wolves career and the injury etc. I'm sure it was called The Heartbreak Game if anyone out there wants to read it.

With regards to the Juventus game was it Bill McGarry that pulled a masterstroke for the away fixture by inviting John Charles along with the Wolves team? Instead of arriving into a bear pit of hostility the Juve fans were so keen to welcome John Charles that the atmosphere was quite welcoming for the Wolves team.

Because I missed it then as I was too young I would love to see us back up there again playing in Europe and giving the best teams a real run for their money.

Cheers Sniffer, I might have to check that out. Interesting about John Charles being invited along, as I heard that before and I thought Fergie invented the mind game

The state of those haircuts! :icon_lol:

Kenny's was the best!

Anyone remember Kenny's white necklace that he sometimes wore, well I had a matching one. Told him this when I met him, which he found quite amusing!

Back