• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil Confirmed

But that isn't what @Sedgley Wolf was saying is it?

I didn't say it was, I made the point that saying someone likes to play direct football isn't an insult so if that was what he wanted to play the bloke would have said so. You then claimed we didn't play direct under McCarthy.

I mean, I’ll judge his “philosophy” after a few games. The Bournemouth job is still a small sample size in itself. So I hope he’s front foot, attacking football, but let’s see.

Doesn’t change how ridiculous it is that we’ve gone from Lopetegui to him at this point though.

You’re missing the point. In Bournemouth’s case it was sufficient for Scott Parker to claim the squad was doomed with the season barely underway.
He had no stomach for the fight, that's clear.

One thing you can say about GON is he's not scared of adversity.

If we start hoofing it upto Sasa I'm gonna be pissed off myself.
If it works, it works.

I don't think we're in a position as a fanbase to be worrying about style of play right now unfortunately. It's so important that we don't get relegated in the next few seasons, we need to achieve that by any means necessary.

Downgrading from Lopetegui to O'Neil makes the prospect of relegation this season much more realistic. We can't afford to be snobby about defensive football while O'Neil learns how to be a manager, we just need points on the board.

Winning football > pretty football.

I get to watch Charlotte play plenty of uselessly "pretty" football. I don't need Wolves falling into the same trap.

If it works, it works.

I don't think we're in a position as a fanbase to be worrying about style of play right now unfortunately. It's so important that we don't get relegated in the next few seasons, we need to achieve that by any means necessary.

Downgrading from Lopetegui to O'Neil makes the prospect of relegation this season much more realistic. We can't afford to be snobby about defensive football while O'Neil learns how to be a manager, we just need points on the board.

I go to football games for enjoyment, I don't enjoy that kind of football so I'd just stop going but I get the point.

If it works, it works.

We may as well have just kept Nuno then

I go to football games for enjoyment, I don't enjoy that kind of football so I'd just stop going but I get the point.
Personally I love Wolves more than I love watching football (if it's possible to separate the 2).

If anything has been made clear by this summer's shenanigans it's that our short term future is going to be fucking bleak. It's important that we cling to our Premier League status until something changes with our ownership situation, however long that takes. I do NOT want to see what happens to this club if we drop down to the Championship with Fosun at the helm.

If it works, it works.

I think I'm still just about here in terms of winning football being the most important factor, but in our 6th PL season the novelty factor has gone, we are paying entertainment prices so really should expect a degree of entertainment.

Personally I love Wolves more than I love watching football (if it's possible to separate the 2).

If anything has been made clear by this summer's shenanigans it's that our short term future is going to be fucking bleak. It's important that we cling to our Premier League status until something changes with our ownership situation, however long that takes. I do NOT want to see what happens to this club if we drop down to the Championship with Fosun at the helm.
I think it’s almost inevitable that if we go down they’ll sell anyone they can, slash costs and bank as much of the parachute payments as they can. I genuinely think if we go down this year we’ll be well and truly fucked for a long time and we’ve entrusted this task to a novice. Glad I made it to Braga as I doubt we’ll play in Europe again in my lifetime.

I think it’s almost inevitable that if we go down they’ll sell anyone they can, slash costs and bank as much of the parachute payments as they can. I genuinely think if we go down this year we’ll be well and truly fucked for a long time and we’ve entrusted this task to a novice. Glad I made it to Braga as I doubt we’ll play in Europe again in my lifetime.
That's exactly what I think will happen.

I think I'm still just about here in terms of winning football being the most important factor, but in our 6th PL season the novelty factor has gone, we are paying entertainment prices so really should expect entertainment.
I don't think the reality of our situation has quite sunk in for some people.

I'm not worrying about entertainment, I'm genuinely concerned about the long term future of our football club. As long as we have Premier League status we have some sort of revenue and some sort of attraction for a potential investor. If we get stuck in the Championship with Fosun in charge and they don't ease up they'll strip us down to the fucking bone.

Yes, we definitely should've kept the best manager we've had in my lifetime.

Wasn't a dig at Nuno at all, just meant that this search for someone/thing more 'progessive' has been a shitshow, but I don't want to just devolve to some kind of British % ball either.

Nuno's style needed to evolve, but that was an attempt to consolidate, entertain and progress, not just stay up.

Playing shit, cloggy football is no guarantee of staying up anyway

I don't think the reality of our situation has quite sunk in for some people.

I'm not worrying about entertainment, I'm genuinely concerned about the long term future of our football club. As long as we have Premier League status we have some sort of revenue and some sort of attraction for a potential investor. If we get stuck in the Championship with Fosun in charge and they don't ease up they'll strip us down to the fucking bone.
Indeed, even in my weird optimistic phase I can't deny that a return to the Championship with Fosun as owners almost certainly spells a dark decade of Champ/League One churn.

Back