• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil Confirmed

Doesn't really tell us a lot but gives a bit more insight.
If he comes with a system he wants to play and tries to shoehorn players into that system then it will not work. If he is willing to adapt how he wants to play to suit the players he was then he has a better chance. The fact that he talks about being adaptable is positive. But talk is cheap. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. ( And that my friends is the correct saying, none of this 'the proof is in the pudding' shit!)

“There’s talent in the group, so I want to be dominant, I want us to have control with the ball when we can, I want to be able to attack fast, and I’ve spoken to the boys a lot about this already. If it’s on to press, I want us to be aggressive and press, if we need to sit in and be patient for a spell then we can do that.

“But it’s really important I improve the group’s understanding of all understanding of a football match, not one-size-fits-all for me. It’s not like we’re going to be a counter-attacking team – I don’t see the game like that. We have to be able to adapt to situations, be able to adapt to the opposition, but also have a clear identity, which we will.

“There are things that will be similar to what I did last year which will help for sure, but it’s not just a case of bringing what I did with Bournemouth into Wolves. I’m very adaptable in what I think we should be, but I have a very clear vision of what I think this group can be.

“We started work on it yesterday and we’re two days in so far and I’m pleased with the progress, but there’s a lot of work to do.”

I'm glad he's conscious of creating an identity, seems like that was lacking at Bournemouth.

He's right that there's a lot of talent in the squad and he has a big opportunity here if he's got anything about him.

He's right that there's a lot of talent in the squad and he has a big opportunity here if he's got anything about him.
Much like Lage he's been handed a chance that his current CV doesn't really merit.

Lage couldn't make an even vaguely acceptable job of it, Three Buttons Gal has to grasp it or he'll never get another go.

Hasenhüttl largely played 4-2-2-2 at Saints.

It's more that your Özil style #10s are wildly out of fashion.
Fair, I don't recall both CMs exclusively sitting as 6s though.

The #10 as it used to exist has been dead in England for years, for sure, else Gastón Ramirez might have been okay.

“There’s talent in the group, so I want to be dominant, I want us to have control with the ball when we can, I want to be able to attack fast, and I’ve spoken to the boys a lot about this already. If it’s on to press, I want us to be aggressive and press, if we need to sit in and be patient for a spell then we can do that.

“But it’s really important I improve the group’s understanding of all understanding of a football match, not one-size-fits-all for me. It’s not like we’re going to be a counter-attacking team – I don’t see the game like that. We have to be able to adapt to situations, be able to adapt to the opposition, but also have a clear identity, which we will.

“There are things that will be similar to what I did last year which will help for sure, but it’s not just a case of bringing what I did with Bournemouth into Wolves. I’m very adaptable in what I think we should be, but I have a very clear vision of what I think this group can be.

“We started work on it yesterday and we’re two days in so far and I’m pleased with the progress, but there’s a lot of work to do.”
I know it's his first interview but that's dismal stuff

Hasenhüttl largely played 4-2-2-2 at Saints.

It's more that your Özil style #10s are wildly out of fashion.
I think we're seeing the return of Lampard style 10 players. Fernandes and Mount.

Maybe in 5 years the 10 will return.

We do have hybrid 8/10 style players like Foden, De Bruyne and Odegaard.

Thinking about it: English manager with an Irish surname, brought in suntanned from his holiday in Portugal late on in pre-season after we've been left high and dry by a former international manager who walks out abruptly due to a disagreement about direction... maybe this appointment isn't so crazy as it first seems :LOL:

He didn't give a hard number on the percentage of training we'll be spending on the attack. Covering his ass already.

I'm not sure it's dismal, what's he meant to say? "This squad us threadbare, but I'm punching above my weight and don't really have a clue how I'm going to do this job?"

I'm not sure it's dismal, what's he meant to say? "This squad us threadbare, but I'm punching above my weight and don't really have a clue how I'm going to do this job?"
Yeah about time we had some honesty at Molineux

It's not really abysmal, is it? I know you hate the guy and want him to fail as quickly as possible but there's absolutely nothing there to go to town on.
I don't hate him but I do want him to fall fast if he's as bad as I think he will be.

Plenty to pick apart in the interview from his lack of style to:

'If we need to sit in and be patient for a spell then we can do that.'

Based on the way he played last season that's how we'll play. Looking forward to it...

My favourite:

'But it’s really important I improve the group’s understanding of all understanding of a football match'

U wot mate?

I'm pretty sure every player in that squad bar Bueno, Hodge and Silva know plenty about a game of football. I would probably say more than him too

They're not a bunch of 16yr olds, they're professionals most of whom have international caps.

Lopetegui is a hugely successful coach, he would've instilled more in the players about football than this charlatan ever will.

But y'know it was his first interview so some will cut him some slack.

And I know you'll say I'm looking for things but it's because you're not.

He didn't drop any bombs like this one from Lage in his first interview:

We want to go forward, to play in a different way. I do not know if it is better or worse, it is just my idea. We need to be a more competitive team, a better team.
Good grief, how'd I ever let that fly under the radar.

He didn't drop any bombs like this one from Lage in his first interview:

Good grief, how'd I ever let that fly under the radar.
I would say the one above is miles worse.

I would say managers always talk shit. What level of shit depends on their standing.

Liked - chat bubbles mate I don't care
Disliked - shut up you twat.

Nuno a good example....the moment things were not so good people would be calling out his "solutions" and telling him to shut up
KJ always used the phrase power but it only got to people in his shit last season.

Fair, I don't recall both CMs exclusively sitting as 6s though.

The #10 as it used to exist has been dead in England for years, for sure, else Gastón Ramirez might have been okay.
CBs are #6, midfielders are #4, #8 and #10. I know squad numbers are all over the place these days but I don’t care, that’s the way it is!

CBs are #6, midfielders are #4, #8 and #10. I know squad numbers are all over the place these days but I don’t care, that’s the way it is!
Every time I go with the Euro numbers I wait for someone to call me out on it. ;)

For whatever reason, we adopted #4 and #5 as CBs over here, #6, #8, and #10 as midfielders. I think the 4/6 flip is the only difference, actually.

Precisely. It's not like there isn't a boxful of sticks to beat him with that alluding to him being there for there 9-0 is necessary.
The 9 0 thing, it happens.

United lost by 7 to Liverpool, they didn't sack Ten Hag on the back of it, they qualified for the CL instead.

Southampton got gubbed twice and bounced back both time under Hassenhuttl.

It's not fun and I wouldn't recommend it, but getting totally fucking gubbed happens sometimes.

Back