• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Players Released

Rob Green released by QPR...I presume his days of earning 80k a week are over....go get him Jez

Would think a nice cushy number as a PL back up keeper (not on that money, but more than decent enough) beckons for him. Not going to kick up too much of a fuss about not playing at his age, can help bring a younger keeper on, going to be fairly reliable if your first choice gets injured. He's better than the likes of Pantilimon, Romero, Haugaard, Stekelenburg, Federici and Myhill who are currently No 2 at various PL clubs.

Haha, well cant disagree too much about those releases

I'm disappointed that Björn didn't take his opportunity but can't argue about releasing him. I wish him well in the future personally, he worked his arse off and received a lot of unfair abuse.

Kenny Jackett's mismanagement of Martinez & Alfie has been appalling. Two more than useful players who have been completely fucked over.

Just goes to show what a total clown Jackett has been this season playing Siggy for all those game's. Then bringing Le Fondre on Saturday instead of Enobakhare.

Actually releasing Siggy makes me slightly more understanding of Jackett. Season was over with nothing to play for, gave him a run of games to prove it. He leaves now with most fans being unable to say we wasted £2 million on him and didn't give him a proper chance.

Actually releasing Siggy makes me slightly more understanding of Jackett. Season was over with nothing to play for, gave him a run of games to prove it. He leaves now with most fans being unable to say we wasted £2 million on him and didn't give him a proper chance.

When he was playing once the season effectively finished in January, I did think Kenny was hoping he'd do enough to justify a new contract.
No problem with any of the released though I'd like to have kept Martinez.
Anyway New and BETTER players now please.

Only one I'm sad didn't get more games was Martinez. Best keeper we had this season, but as on loan and well out of our price range, no shocks there.

Not sure we'll be able to attract a better keeper than Martinez. Criminal that he didn't get a look-in after his injury.

All the others can do one. A bit gutted that Siggy couldn't make the most of his chance this year, could have been like a new signing.

Harsh on Boukari, there, Will. I'm sure he's as frustrated as anyone that he's been injured so much (albeit still quite a way richer).

I'll always see him as a hugely missed opportunity. What a player he could have been. Was it Jonny Williams who made the tackle that started all his problems?

No Williams did Peszko. Boukari's was innocuous

Williams crocked Peszko when we played Palace - Boukari got injured vs Sheff Wed. Wasn't a bad tackle or anything as far as I remember.

Williams crocked Peszko when we played Palace - Boukari got injured vs Sheff Wed. Wasn't a bad tackle or anything as far as I remember.

Aye, I must have been mixing up the two incidents. Recall the tackle on Peszko created quite a fuss. All I remember of the Sheff game is Boukari limping off and thinking to myself, "couple weeks, max".

Also Antonio was quite good that game.

Ross Barkley played for Wednesday that day too. Can't recall him doing anything special.

The following all have one year left on their deal now:

Danny Batth
Carl Ikeme
David Edwards
Jonathan Flatt
George Saville
Lee Evans
Ethan Ebanks-Landell
Harry Burgoyne
Sylvain Deslandes
Bright Enobakhare
Will Randall
Anthony Breslin
Regan Upton
Ryan Rainey
Aaron Hayden
Donovan Wilson
Conor Hunte
Ben O'Hanlon
Bradley Reid
Aaron Simpson
Mike Williamson

Pretty much every single one has serious work to do from here to prove they deserve an extension. Saville has probably made the best case so far out of the lot of them.

Excepting the youngsters who I know next to nothing about, Saville, Flatt, Evans, Deslandes, and Eno are the only ones I expect to really earn a new contract.

Ikeme took such a huge step backward this season that there's no telling where he'll be at this time in 2017.

Unlike everyone else I don't think we'll sign a first choice keeper. I think Ikeme will be number 1 with Flatt as backup or a journeyman coming in. Jackett has been totally contradictory with him this year from kicking him out of the team twice in the first month of the season to bigging him up as the next Gordon Banks since Xmas. It doesn't strike me as someone that is looking for a new keeper since Morgan moved the goalposts

i quite liked Peszko..quick winger and could have developed to a more than decent player

i quite liked Peszko..quick winger and could have developed to a more than decent player
Looked better than he was as he was an actual footballer in a team of (mostly) tryhards. Hasn't exactly gone on to great things.

Unlike everyone else I don't think we'll sign a first choice keeper. I think Ikeme will be number 1 with Flatt as backup or a journeyman coming in. Jackett has been totally contradictory with him this year from kicking him out of the team twice in the first month of the season to bigging him up as the next Gordon Banks since Xmas. It doesn't strike me as someone that is looking for a new keeper since Morgan moved the goalposts

If you were being charitable you'd say Ikeme still has a bit of credit in the bank from Ken's first two seasons, he was good in L1 (albeit he had quite a few games with literally nothing to do) and generally fine last season, you'd say out of him and Kuszczak, Ikeme looked the better keeper and bar a few iffy goals in our horror Nov/Dec run he didn't really do much wrong. He's also experienced now and we don't have many players any more with 100+ senior games under their belt.

I'm willing to write this season off but he's basically got to prove himself all over again as there's no way we can go on with a keeper who lets in that many goals where he's either blatantly at direct fault with an outright howler or really should be doing better, and I think the lack of meaningful competition (given McCarey is no kind of alternative at this level and we clearly had no intention of using Emi again after his injury) didn't help his focus, so we really could do with signing someone who conceivably could come into the team even if he starts on the bench.

I agree DW, he was also pretty good in the season we got relegated to L1. I have been a fan of Ikeme since that season, but this season he has been poor on too many occasions, he should have been dropped and Martinez given a run. Not only was he costing us goals but I don't think it did his confidence any good being picked when out of form. I am happy for him to start next season but he has to hit the ground running...if he doesn't then he has to go or at least drop down to number 2

Ross Barkley played for Wednesday that day too. Can't recall him doing anything special.

The following all have one year left on their deal now:

Danny Batth
Carl Ikeme
David Edwards
Jonathan Flatt
George Saville
Lee Evans
Ethan Ebanks-Landell
Harry Burgoyne
Sylvain Deslandes
Bright Enobakhare
Will Randall
Anthony Breslin
Regan Upton
Ryan Rainey
Aaron Hayden
Donovan Wilson
Conor Hunte
Ben O'Hanlon
Bradley Reid
Aaron Simpson
Mike Williamson

Pretty much every single one has serious work to do from here to prove they deserve an extension. Saville has probably made the best case so far out of the lot of them.

Going by the noises coming from inside the club, I imagine Batth and Saville will be nailed on for new contracts.

Tbh, apart from the younger players I really don't know much about (Simpson, Rainey, Upton, Breslin, Randall) I can only see maybe Evans and EEL as not getting at least year extensions on their contracts. (And we have an extra year we can take up on Evans' contract, I think?) All three of Thelwell, Jackett, and Moxey have talked up EEL as having the potential to be a top Championship-level defender, but my gut feeling is that was them talking him up in an effort to boost his confidence when he was one of our only two fit CBs and having a tough time of it this season...

Looking through that list, my main feeling is we're bloody lucky to have the Irish Roberto Carlos nailed down until 2019...

Back