• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Players Released

agree with those again Martinez should of had a run but Kenny knows best obviously.

If you were being charitable you'd say Ikeme still has a bit of credit in the bank from Ken's first two seasons, he was good in L1 (albeit he had quite a few games with literally nothing to do) and generally fine last season, you'd say out of him and Kuszczak, Ikeme looked the better keeper and bar a few iffy goals in our horror Nov/Dec run he didn't really do much wrong. He's also experienced now and we don't have many players any more with 100+ senior games under their belt.

I'm willing to write this season off but he's basically got to prove himself all over again as there's no way we can go on with a keeper who lets in that many goals where he's either blatantly at direct fault with an outright howler or really should be doing better, and I think the lack of meaningful competition (given McCarey is no kind of alternative at this level and we clearly had no intention of using Emi again after his injury) didn't help his focus, so we really could do with signing someone who conceivably could come into the team even if he starts on the bench.
I think that's all fair

Ross Barkley played for Wednesday that day too. Can't recall him doing anything special.

The following all have one year left on their deal now:

Danny Batth
Carl Ikeme
David Edwards
Jonathan Flatt
George Saville
Lee Evans
Ethan Ebanks-Landell
Harry Burgoyne
Sylvain Deslandes
Bright Enobakhare
Will Randall
Anthony Breslin
Regan Upton
Ryan Rainey
Aaron Hayden
Donovan Wilson
Conor Hunte
Ben O'Hanlon
Bradley Reid
Aaron Simpson
Mike Williamson

Pretty much every single one has serious work to do from here to prove they deserve an extension. Saville has probably made the best case so far out of the lot of them.

Based on that, I predict Batth sold

Ross Barkley played for Wednesday that day too. Can't recall him doing anything special.

Danny Batth
Carl Ikeme
David Edwards
Jonathan Flatt
George Saville
Lee Evans
Ethan Ebanks-Landell
Harry Burgoyne
Sylvain Deslandes
Bright Enobakhare
Will Randall
Anthony Breslin
Regan Upton
Ryan Rainey
Aaron Hayden
Donovan Wilson
Conor Hunte
Ben O'Hanlon
Bradley Reid
Aaron Simpson
Mike Williamson

Pretty much every single one has serious work to do from here to prove they deserve an extension. Saville has probably made the best case so far out of the lot of them.

Good grief, we've got some rubbish on our books haven't we?

Danny Batth
Carl Ikeme
David Edwards
Jonathan Flatt
George Saville
Lee Evans

Ethan Ebanks-Landell
Harry Burgoyne
Sylvain Deslandes
Bright Enobakhare

Will Randall
Anthony Breslin
Regan Upton
Ryan Rainey
Aaron Hayden
Donovan Wilson
Conor Hunte
Ben O'Hanlon
Bradley Reid
Aaron Simpson
Mike Williamson

The ones in bold I can see being given extended contracts this summer. Probably Batth to though like Stu I'd hope that someone stupid enough (Boro, Burnley?) bids for him. I remember Sunderland were linked last summer.

The ones in bold I can see being given extended contracts this summer. Probably Batth to though like Stu I'd hope that someone stupid enough (Boro, Burnley?) bids for him. I remember Sunderland were linked last summer.

Surely no promoted club would be stupid enough to think he's going to improve their chances in the PL?

Could perhaps see a relegated side taking a look if they lost a current first choice centre half as he seems to have a reasonable profile for this level and they'd perhaps fancy their chances taking him away given Wolves' season, still wouldn't consider it a wise move even for them though.

No me neither but clubs do strange things sometimes and that's what I'm clinging on to. ;) Otherwise we are stuck with him.

Someone like Bristol City might be more likely given their eagerness to throw some cash around, they seemed happy enough to go for any fairly established Championship name last season.

Johnson wants players comfortable on the ball. Can't see him chasing Danny given his love of the hoof.

I would hope that Batth at a minimum isn't captain next season, we've had zero leadership in the majority of games this season and some of that must fall on Batth as captain. That said, I think he gets an easy ride off most owing to the local lad factor.

I would hope that Batth at a minimum isn't captain next season, we've had zero leadership in the majority of games this season and some of that must fall on Batth as captain. That said, I think he gets an easy ride off most owing to the local lad factor.

Quite. If Brierley Hill was an attribute on Football Manager he would score 10 and be on a par with Franco Baresi

I do have some sympathy for Boukari. Don't like to see any player's career blighted by injury in that manner, regardless of what he has or hasnt been paid in the interim.

Don't think he has this year. The Brierley Hill stuff was more as an antidote to Johnson than anything else. I think most Wolves fans now recognise his limitations, primarily he's a poor captain, needs a leader alongside him and has woeful distribution. He's a decent Championship centre half with the right partner in the same way players of the ilk of Duff, Shackell, Keogh etc are/have been.

Don't think he has this year. The Brierley Hill stuff was more as an antidote to Johnson than anything else. I think most Wolves fans now recognise his limitations, primarily he's a poor captain, needs a leader alongside him and has woeful distribution. He's a decent Championship centre half with the right partner in the same way players of the ilk of Duff, Shackell, Keogh etc are/have been.

This. His best spell was with Williamson alongside him. He struggled being the Senior defender.

The Captains Armband means little these days other than being the public face of the team, so it doesn't bother me who wears it. If a player is a leader (posh way of saying shouty and pointy bastard) then he will do it with or without the armband.

Yeah - a player like Danny Batth has been part of the CB partnership for many a team that's won promotion from this league, he's not awful, he's just limited.

If we're in a situation where we can afford to have him as a third choice CB then we'd actually be looking pretty strong for the division, and I don't think we're far off that with Hause and Iorfa coming through. My feeling though is that the club do view him as a star player, and we'll probably not see him dropped except for injury for the foreseeable future.

Chris Kirkland released by Preston.......is he still a walking injury or worth a consideration ?

Only if he fancies playing in league 1 again.

Back