• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

They largely seem to quite like him. Reading tweets from a few Portuguese football fans they rate him higher than Nuno.
Agree, it was quite an eye opener to some one who only knew what had been posted on here.
DW guaranteeing relegation, amongst others.

They largely seem to rate him.
Will be interesting to see his transfer movement

I’m not sure that post from Sam was saying “they didn’t try”. More, they tried their hardest but as we are coached/tactically set up so badly in an attacking sense we barely laid a glove on Utd reserves.

I haven't guaranteed anything, what I have said is that I thought that regardless of anything else, there was a close to 0% chance of going down under Nuno, and now there's a significant risk of it.

To me that seems a sub-optimal state of affairs.

I friggin hope Lage gets a generous fixture list in a few weeks time. The scenes when our opening month is Man City (a), Liverpool (h), Chelsea (a) & Man Utd (h)...

Another thing to look at, is who from our out on loan players could get a chance. Is this the season where Ronan finally get his chance (could even ask KdB for his shirt back..). Can the super, attacking coach get a partnership out of Raul & Cutrone (one for Deano)
there)

I also hope he can tell our defenders they can attack a cross with their head and this one will be the deal breaker for me - can we become good at throw ins for the first time in living memory

I understand the disappointment people are feeling that Nuno's gone. But I think some of the comments about Lage are a bit over the top. He has actually won the title in Portugal, he's not some mug Mendes owes a favour to.

Imagine if he was coming here just off the back of that first season with Benfica, they played attacking football and averaged 2.4 goals a game. Would there be as much negatively then. It's as if those 10 games the following year are clouding some people's judgement slightly, but as we know there were extenuating circumstances. I.e losing his best players. It's like judging Nuno solely on his final year here. Plus he's only 45, that's still young for a manager.

I'm probably just an overly optimistic idiot. But the more I think about it, I'm getting genuinely excited at the thought of this attack minded, title winning, young, Portuguese who has proven track record of getting the best out of youth, coming to Wolves!

Come on me babbies!!!

Conor Ronan :icon_lol:

I've never understood the fascination.

Every one knows I was gutted Nuno went, but its done he has gone, we need to do the best we can.

When Nuno came we all heard how well he had done at some clubs, but how it all went tits up at Valencia, there were some saying it was not a good appointnent.

We had the same me included questioning Raul after a world cup game.

We also had people slating Neto as a favour to Mendez, one of the merry go round, he is the reason Jota left because people believe he has a higher ceiling.

The truth is none of us know who is being interviewed, when Mendez was asked about a replacement.
Lage on paper looks ok, won a title in Portugal which is more than Nuno did and both managed the biggest teams in Portugal in Benfica and Porto.

Lage looks an interesting appointment, he needs a good transfer window, and will need Mendez's help with that, and as has been said earlier, Mendez needs him to work as Football advisor to Fosun, we may find a couple of Gems coming to us soon.

I agree we have been a tough watch this season and 36 goals in 38 games proves it, but injuries to all 4 of your first choice attacking players is obviously going to compound the issue even more. I just dont like it when people imply the issues are down to a lack of effort. Personnel or tactics, fine. I just don't buy it when people say players at this level aren't giving their all or not trying. It's a lazy thing to say.
Lazy? It is an unpleasant thing to have to say, but the lack of desire in the Burnley game - and, say, in the game vs WBA - was clear to see.

Choking on your words when he wins POTS next year...
I reckon he might have a shot at POTS... If he goes back on loan to a Slovakian or Swiss 2nd Division team...

I think we should avoid deifying Nuno and vilifying Fosun too much. It's an uncertain time, but we surely shouldn't expect conventional player or manager deals under the latter, as the acquisitions of Nuno, Neves and Neto were hardly normal.

Nuno was a massive part of the club, but everything good that's happened can't just be down to him, whereas everything questionable is due to Fosun, injuries, covid, tiredness etc.

Nuno wouldn't have been on anyone's list either in 2017, and while that doesn't mean Lage will be any good, we can feel uncomfortable (I can't say I don't) but ultimately Fosun have earned some level of trust, haven't they?

Lazy? It is an unpleasant thing to have to say, but the lack of desire in the Burnley game - and, say, in the game vs WBA - was clear to see.
I disagree, i don't think there was a lack of desire at all, i just think they were mentally and physically knackered, that's a different thing. If they lacked desire there wouldn't have been a comeback against Brighton.

There was little wrong with the performance against Albion either, other than the normal, we couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

I reckon he might have a shot at POTS... If he goes back on loan to a Slovakian or Swiss 2nd Division team...
To be fair, I didn't say our POTS did I.

He was a name picked out as he seems to do ok on loan and never really got a shot here. I am struggling to think of others out on loan who might get a chance. Sanderson the obvious one, but would like him to have a year in the Championship.

Yes lazy, I've explained before when you get to the top level the reason for losses and poor performances is very rarely that a set of players "doesn't want it more" than the other team. Nuno came out and explained the performance after Burnley anyway - we had players that weren't right after positive covid tests which we had no choice but to use due to lack of other options. We definitely didn't lack desire in the Albion game we weren't great but we still should have won on balance.

I friggin hope Lage gets a generous fixture list in a few weeks time. The scenes when our opening month is Man City (a), Liverpool (h), Chelsea (a) & Man Utd (h)...

Another thing to look at, is who from our out on loan players could get a chance. Is this the season where Ronan finally get his chance (could even ask KdB for his shirt back..). Can the super, attacking coach get a partnership out of Raul & Cutrone (one for Deano)
there)

I also hope he can tell our defenders they can attack a cross with their head and this one will be the deal breaker for me - can we become good at throw ins for the first time in living memory
Actually, I would prefer Man City Liverpool Chelsea and Man Utd to Burnley Watford Newcastle and Norwich . The scenes when we get our customary 3 or 4 points from that lot would be worse.

Cutrone either after Jose was confirmed. Disappointing that as he always put the effort in previously.

José didn't try, I will say that.
Correct, underlined perfectly for his non attempt at both a Neves cross and earlier than that a Fabio cross (which Jenas criticised, i thought it was a good ball, but Jose couldn't be arsed)

I don't understand the psychology of WJ, i can understand that he was living out of a hotel, that he may not have settled well etc. But why on earth given his age and career would he not think to himself "this is my chance at getting one last big move, whether with Wolves or elsewhere".

It makes no sense to me at all.

He combined no ability with no effort. I genuinely enjoyed watching Grant Holt more.

Back