• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

Well, I'm going to give him my full support. Nuno's gone, he's not coming back and everyone - but everyone - on this Forum was rightly critical of plenty of his decisions over the last season. And the football was - in large part - well below what our squad was capable of producing. Only ten weeks to the start of the season. We'll soon find out...

Worse still, he was referencing Doyle and his goal scoring ability!
He also said Jake Cassidy reminded him of Steve Bull.

I am worried about relegation, I never thought Nuno would take us down even if the spectacle wasn't great (and we were never as sparkling as people would have you believe), we'd always get enough wins. This fella, I don't know. It's brutal down there if you get in a tailspin.

On the other hand Nuno hadn't won anything and left Porto and Valencia under a cloud. Taylor and Hoddle had better cvs. I was concerned about both appointments though and I was by no means alone. When Nuno was appointed I was just relieved he wasn't Lambert.

Going to be the worst off-season / pre-season ever isn’t it? Chunk of the forum moaning about why we haven’t signed anyone, another chunk moaning that the manager is going to get us relegated and the rest moaning about ticket prices and how the club is run!

I'll support him the same way I did Nuno, having known nothing about him other than his record.

If he's shit, it'll be fairly obvious pretty quickly.

The spiel from the club is that they believe he'll be worth £100m+ one day though I'm not sure I buy that. He's alright, he'll get better than he is now, but yes, we could have made better use of that money in all probability.

The manager is more important that one player though. If he's shite, like Cutrone, then you just don't pick him and you get rid of him. The manager is there every game.

This guy is similar to Lage, but with more experience:

Would you be happy if we appointed him? I wouldn't.
We haven't interviewed this chap though.

Going to be the worst off-season / pre-season ever isn’t it? Chunk of the forum moaning about why we haven’t signed anyone, another chunk moaning that the manager is going to get us relegated and the rest moaning about ticket prices and how the club is run!
Can I have all four?

There are two reasons why the "I knew nothing about Nuno, I know nothing about Lage, therefore I'll assume it's the same" fallacy can be written off.

1) We'd just had successive bottom half Championship finishes when we appointed Nuno, and had been in League One not too long before. We were getting rid of Paul Lambert. He was the ex-Porto and Valencia coach. Of course we're going to think he's better.

2) Nuno's record was far more extensive if you wanted to do a bit of research. Lage hasn't even managed 100 games at senior level.

Getting Nuno as a Championship club was a coup and rightly seen as one. Lage would not get the job at any other Premier League club, wouldn't even get an interview.
So what you’re saying is, Lage has achieved more than Nuno has in his managerial career so far (a league title), and in less than 100 games?

This has cheered me up no end. Thanks mate xx

So what you’re saying is, Lage has achieved more than Nuno has in his managerial career so far (a league title), and in less than 100 games?

This has cheered me up no end. Thanks mate xx
Can I interest you in Craig Harrison? Won six league titles.

They may or may not have been in Wales.

Can I interest you in Craig Harrison? Won six league titles.

They may or may not have been in Wales.

Definitely a fair comparison that... we haven't just had somebody deliver the best 4 years of most of our Wolves supporting lifetimes who came from a league in Wales having won nowt.

I think Jinky's point is he didn't achieve what Lage did in Portugal, and he did alright...

I don't disagree with any of that really, but if you compare managers with players you could make similar criticisms about the Fabio signing: with his limited playing record and the fact he wouldn't in a million years pitch up at any other PL club for £35m, yet this seems to be part of what Fosun/Mendes does. We don't have to like it all, of course, but they have form. Most of us accept Fabio now, even though you could say he was an oddball/inappropriate signing?

Neto similar, few considered him to be worth the price let alone a genuine replacement for Jota and then 12 months on he's vying for being the most important player in the team.

It might not be the most assuring CV but that doesn't mean it will fail.

There are anomalies everywhere. Roberto di Matteo is a Champions League winning coach but I don't think we'd much fancy him.

You would expect as a club stacked with international players that have finished 7th, 7th, 13th in the Premier League that we would do better than someone who has 18 months' worth of experience as a head coach and that didn't end well!

I don't envy him, it's a poisoned chalice in many respects.

But I doubt you were the expert on him before 21st May, mate. All we have to go on are statistics from his title winning season and they make for impressive reading. His following season not so much.

Wolves were impressive with two 7th placed consecutive finishes, but this season's 7 wins in 21 and creating the least chances in the league (where WBA played also, managed by Sam Allardyce) does not.

Comparisons to RDM are unfair. He managed Chelsea for about 3 months, Lage managed Benfica for a season.

I think the problem is his career can be summed up thusly.

Man promotes Felix from youth team
Man wins shit loads of games
Felix gets sold
Man can't buy a win
Man gets boot
Man can't get job for ages
Mendes carousel member has vacancy

Last edited:
I absolutely hate the recruitment process, and the fact he's been parachuted here by Mendes, and we most likely haven't even given anybody else a serious thought. It's outrageous for a club of our stature to be beholden to an agent like that, regardless of some of his successes and the strings he's pulled. I can get it with an expensive signing, dancing with the devil and all that. But our fucking manager! It's too far.

And I'm grumpy because I really wanted Potter, and I suspect that this was best chance to get him
I agree with you the recruitment process doesn't look good as it does look like it's all about Mendes but i do find it strange that everybody just seems to be ignoring that Lage has actually won a league title with Benfica and that they did actually finish 2nd in his second season. Yes they went through a really bad spell just before and after the lockdown but his record before that spell was outrageous, they were 4th when he took over and they then won 18 out of 19 games to win the league. He then quit but whose saying he couldn't have turned it around again the next season as the bad spell was only just over 10 games.

I don't know enough about what happened in that bad spell at Benfica but because of those first 40 games in charge i definitely feel he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn't have minded Potter either, i think Brighton play some great stuff and i think he could get us playing great football too with better end product but i don't think that was ever going to happen.

Summed up my feelings too Slink, all the focus is on his 'poor second season and not the ones prior.

You can have Felix but you have to get the best out of him. Nuno had Neto and Traore but rarely did we see the best out of them..

You can have Felix but you have to get the best out of him. Nuno had Neto and Traore but rarely did we see the best out of them..
Nothing like a fair comparison, Felix is levels above Neto and Traore.

On Lage's bad run, every manager has bad spells but in that league there aren't many competitive games for Benfica and that run of 10 games was the joint worst in the club's history.

Back